GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Kappa > Kappa Alpha Theta
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,446
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, ageldarkz5086
» Online Users: 2,331
1 members and 2,330 guests
amileqtivanova1

Old 09-16-2006, 01:29 AM
GreekChat Member

Recruitment concerns

Hi ladies. I am seeking some advice for my undergrad chapter (unofficially).
Our chapter has always been pretty strong and highly regarded on campus. You can find us everywhere: resident advisors, club presidents, Phi Beta Kappa, dance team, sports, etc.

I have been told that recruitment results for the third round of parties is not looking good this year. Last year, there was a similar problem, and we did not make quota. I'm looking for suggestions on what you think the active sisters can do to correct this problem, and anything that some of the alumnae can do to help. And I should note, that none of the other sororities on campus are having this problem, and the number of women going through has been steady.

Note: If there seems not to be so much info posted here, it is on purpose. I didn't want to expose my chapter too much, since this is a public forum.
Kappa Alpha Theta "The Fraternity was always second in my mind to coeducation. It was organized to help the girls win out in their fight to stay in college on a man's campus. We had to make a place for women in a man's world, and the Fraternity was one means to that bigger end." -Bettie Locke Hamilton
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-16-2006, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackngoldengrl View Post
Hi ladies. I am seeking some advice for my undergrad chapter (unofficially).
Our chapter has always been pretty strong and highly regarded on campus. You can find us everywhere: resident advisors, club presidents, Phi Beta Kappa, dance team, sports, etc.

I have been told that recruitment results for the third round of parties is not looking good this year. Last year, there was a similar problem, and we did not make quota. I'm looking for suggestions on what you think the active sisters can do to correct this problem, and anything that some of the alumnae can do to help. And I should note, that none of the other sororities on campus are having this problem, and the number of women going through has been steady.

Note: If there seems not to be so much info posted here, it is on purpose. I didn't want to expose my chapter too much, since this is a public forum.

This is from my experience with my chapter only. Once upon a time not int eh too distant past we had a similar problem. Our philanthropy round was not very strong so we didnt have good returns for skit night. However our skit night was strong so based on our skit nigth returns we had good returns for preference, however due to returns not being well towards the beginning at philanthropy then sometimes we would not make quota once bids were distributed but later did through COB the same week. Make sense? Since your chapter is having a problem with third round returns, i would look at your second round parties and see what needs to be done to strengthen those parties. That may cause a rise in your third round returns and so on.

Often I find it's not the girls in a chapter, it's the party theme/activities for that round that may be a little bit "weak" in regards to what other chapters are doing on your campus. This doesnt necessarily mean that your decorations and what not need to be expensive and elaborate. I'm assuming that second round is still philanthropy right? Try to find a unique activity that the PNM's can do for this round in addition to teaching about CASA. In addition to a craft (which slips my mind currently what we did and that may have changed by now I'm sure) we also gave out a pamphlet on CASA and watched a short video about CASA. We also played up what we did on campus to raise money for CASA such as our Rock the CASA battle of the bands in the fall and our Sink or Swim event we held in the spring where the fraternities have teams and compete in water sports and had a competition for a "water boy." Also if you can have pictures of these events available for the PNM's to see.

If your third round is skit night/day, then definitely see what other kinds of skits the other chapters are doing. I wont mention the campus but I did know of one campus once where three of 10 sororities had the same skit pretty much. So be aware of that. Also be aware that skits do tend to get outdated sometimes and a new skit probably needs to be done every couple years or so.

It may also be beneficial for the next recruitment chair to see what the other chapters on campus are doing for each round. While other sororities may not tell her what they are doing, she may want to ask the PNM's shortly after bid day what each house did for each round to get a feel of the competition. Just an idea Also a good way to look for new ideas is to have your chapter recruitment chair contact the other chapters in your district and see what they are doing. The recruitment chair can contact her advisor on the district team for contact information. AND dont be afraid to contact other chapters that are outside of your district as well for additional ideas.

Not sure if i helped you but I hope I did atleast a little bit
Old 09-18-2006, 08:11 AM
GreekChat Member

Hmmm... maybe I can help?

I've been a recruitment advisor for 7 years at my alma mater. Maybe I can help? Do you want to email me directly (april.dupree@blackbaud.com) with more details - such as what does your school do for Recruitment (what is round 1 - open house?, round 2? etc) and what did your chapter plan for recruitment this year? Is this a no-frills recruitment school or do you still do skits? How do you prepare for Recruitment? I might have some ideas. When I started as RA we were not consistenly making quota but now we do consistenly make quota, our return rates are rising and we're making quota further and further UP our second bid list so I do have some experience with improving recruitment.

Do you have a Recruitment Advisor? Do you know when was the last time you had an Educational Leadership Consultant visit during Recruitment?
Old 09-18-2006, 03:11 PM
GreekChat Member

thanks for the suggestions and the email offer, I'll be in touch (once I have a free moment-med school-bah!)

To let you know, I saw some pictures from Bid day, and it seems that we got14 girls, though I'm sure that quota was much higher. I am going to contact my grand little sis for more info. But, yes the ELC was there, the skit was new (and was apparently great!), and I'm pretty sure that we know what the other sororities do, since it's a small school.

the pictures looked great and it seems that they are doing some new things, changing up traditions-which sounds good to me! I wish I had been there!
Kappa Alpha Theta "The Fraternity was always second in my mind to coeducation. It was organized to help the girls win out in their fight to stay in college on a man's campus. We had to make a place for women in a man's world, and the Fraternity was one means to that bigger end." -Bettie Locke Hamilton