GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Chapter Operations
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chapter Operations Share plans, ideas, and brainstorm problems related to chapter operations. Topics also include parliamentary procedure, national programs, innovations & etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,452
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, saphqueen
» Online Users: 2,262
0 members and 2,262 guests
No Members online

Old 12-22-2011, 01:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Website options?

Hi everyone! My name is Lizzy and I am a member of Zeta Tau Alpha. I am trying to create a new website for my chapter, and not quite sure which website companies are good options. I found some like "wegoall.com", "webgreek.com", and "chapterspot". I was wondering what companies you guys used to create your chapter's website and if you could give me any advice! It is much appreciated!! Thanks!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 12-22-2011, 02:11 PM

Whoever you choose, make sure that webmaster duties are easily transferrable.

Too many chapter websites become unmaintained when the original webmaster graduates and the company makes it difficult to transfer passwords and such.
Old 12-22-2011, 02:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Are separate pages even used/necessary anymore? I would think that most chapters that didn't already have a kick-ass, up-to-date website would have gone to a Facebook Page and/or Tw*tter. Those are so user-friendly and easy to transfer admins.
Old 12-22-2011, 06:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Yeah we have a facebook and twitter already, but we are trying to create a new website as well because the company we used previously went out of business or something so we can't update it anymore :/
Old 12-23-2011, 01:51 AM
GreekChat Member

Are you certain Zeta Tau Alpha doesn't have an out of the box product ready for you to customize? I know Alpha Xi Delta uses a great program (which I'm blanking on right now) and it provides a professional and thematically consistent product across all (or most anyway) of our collegiate chapters. And my alma mater provides domain access.

And I would say that although Facebook and Twitter are important, I would still have a good, thorough and CURRENT website available for lurkers, incoming college students and their mothers.
Old 12-23-2011, 03:28 PM
GreekChat Member

I'd suggest you search around for a local web developer who'd be able to put together a nice, simple website built on top of some content management system (e.g. WordPress or SilverStripe). Once it's built, it's just a matter of passing down passwords, paying a monthly bill (hosting), and paying a yearly bill (domain). It'll get you a much more custom / flexible / elegant solution than the one-size fits all approach that most solutions companies provide.

Plan to spend about ~$500 for a good designer, $10/mo for hosting, and $10/yr for the domain name.
Old 01-02-2012, 08:23 PM
GreekChat Member

i like weebly for ease of use & convenience
Old 01-11-2012, 06:07 PM
GreekChat Member

We had weebly for a while but then I created my chapter's website myself.

I designed it, then bought the domain. I spent $60 on the domain to have it for 10 years.

Then I used 000webhost.com to host it for free.

This is how it turned out.
SigmaLambdaSigma.com

If you need any help I am willing to work with you. I built ours in 5 days, working on it once I came home from work.