GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,426
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Abisha55
» Online Users: 2,548
0 members and 2,548 guests
No Members online

Old 08-20-2012, 05:30 PM
GreekChat Member

should i rush?!?

Hi! I'm going to be a sophomore at my school this fall and I really want to be a part of Greek Life. My school is an engineering school and the female to male ratio is really low, about 1:4 or a little higher. So, there aren't a lot of women who want to rush and most people at my school participate in sports, not Greek Life. Just trying to paint a picture.

Anyway, last year I didn't rush because I didn't think it would be something I would want to do. Later on, I saw my friends all became involved in their sororities and fraternities and I started to research it. I really really fell in love with the idea of Greek Life, so at the start of the spring semester, I hung out with one sorority but I didn't get a bid. I feel like it has to do with the amount of bids they had remaining, but I won't know for sure lol.

Last semester, my GPA fell to a 2.2. I took a total of 21 credits because I thought I could handle it. I started out doing really well in my classes, acing the exams, going to the library and spending so many hours a week there and studying and doing homework. However, I was overwhelmed when I found out my grandma died and my mom was diagnosed with early breast cancer two weeks after I found about my grandma. I was really depressed and since my school is far from home, I couldn't see my family until after finals. I realize that this shouldn't be an excuse and that my grades come first. But, I still want to rush and be a part of a sorority!

The two sororities I'm really interested in are Alpha Phi and Alpha Gamma Delta. I know AGD's GPA requirement to be initiated is a 2.3 and there is no rush requirement. I dont know about Alpha Phi.

Anyway, do you think they'll make an exception for me? Maybe I could be a new member and after my GPA gets up there, I can be initiated?

I did well in high school - 4.2 GPA out of a possible 4.54. I graduated at the top of my class, was team captain and first singles for my tennis team, cofounded a club, volunteered at a hospital! Do you think they'll take this into consideration or will they just cut me?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-20-2012, 05:33 PM
GreekChat Member

We can't tell you that. We have no control over what they do. Just sign up, go thru and see what happens.
Old 08-20-2012, 05:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to WhiteDaisy128
Quote:
Originally Posted by tennisgirl0716 View Post
Hi! I'm going to be a sophomore at my school this fall and I really want to be a part of Greek Life. My school is an engineering school and the female to male ratio is really low, about 1:4 or a little higher. So, there aren't a lot of women who want to rush and most people at my school participate in sports, not Greek Life. Just trying to paint a picture.

Anyway, last year I didn't rush because I didn't think it would be something I would want to do. Later on, I saw my friends all became involved in their sororities and fraternities and I started to research it. I really really fell in love with the idea of Greek Life, so at the start of the spring semester, I hung out with one sorority but I didn't get a bid. I feel like it has to do with the amount of bids they had remaining, but I won't know for sure lol.

Last semester, my GPA fell to a 2.2. I took a total of 21 credits because I thought I could handle it. I started out doing really well in my classes, acing the exams, going to the library and spending so many hours a week there and studying and doing homework. However, I was overwhelmed when I found out my grandma died and my mom was diagnosed with early breast cancer two weeks after I found about my grandma. I was really depressed and since my school is far from home, I couldn't see my family until after finals. I realize that this shouldn't be an excuse and that my grades come first. But, I still want to rush and be a part of a sorority!

The two sororities I'm really interested in are Alpha Phi and Alpha Gamma Delta. I know AGD's GPA requirement to be initiated is a 2.3 and there is no rush requirement. I dont know about Alpha Phi.

Anyway, do you think they'll make an exception for me? Maybe I could be a new member and after my GPA gets up there, I can be initiated?

I did well in high school - 4.2 GPA out of a possible 4.54. I graduated at the top of my class, was team captain and first singles for my tennis team, cofounded a club, volunteered at a hospital! Do you think they'll take this into consideration or will they just cut me?
Most groups are not in the position to "make" an exception. A requirement is a requirement.

Also, it is generally not advisable to only consider one or two groups.
Old 08-20-2012, 05:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to DGTess
Two things -- you can never be a (collegiate) sorority member if you don't go through recruitment. There is a one-in-some-incredibly-high-number chance that at some point in your life you could be invited as an alumnae initiate, but the chances are so infinitesimal that you can ignore them for practical purposes.

Second, if that was a semester GPA, and overall it's higher, you may have a chance. Most chapters have grade requirements that are specified in both National charters and Chapter by-laws, and there isn't a lot (or any) wiggle room. As Titchou said, however, we can't tell you.

My advice would be to study, get involved in other things, and seek membership as a 2nd semester sophomore or a junior. If your campus is rigorous and has a relatively small proportion of its members involved in Greek Life, it's much more likely the chapters take upperclassmen than say, a large state school.

And in NPC (to which both of the sororities you mentioned belong) you don't rush just one or two sororities. Recommend you look into how the process really works.
Old 08-20-2012, 05:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Work on getting those grades up and register for recruitment. You have a shot at the sororities where you meet their GPA requirements; sometimes exceptions are made for grade risks, but those are usually for women who have a lot of friends or connections at that particular chapter. Good luck!
Old 08-20-2012, 05:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Do you know the all-women's GPA at your school and/or the all-sorority GPA? It's hard to know just how bad a 2.2 is without context, as at a pure engineering school, I'm betting the numbers are lower than at most universities.
Old 08-20-2012, 06:59 PM
GreekChat Member

I think your best bet, as many have said, would be to either wait for second semester or your junior to hit the required GPA. Certain exceptions cannot be made. It's just how it is.
You sound very enthusiastic, though, and that's great! Just have to wait a bit. Also, remember to keep an open mind! I'm sure all of the chapters at your school have a lot to offer.