GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,429
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Zae_TheCreator
» Online Users: 2,215
1 members and 2,214 guests
PGD-GRAD

Old 09-15-2010, 08:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to AZ-AlphaXi
I'm with you'all I HATE the "baby whatevers" .. they're not babies!!
Old 09-15-2010, 09:07 PM
GreekChat Member

I hate "Babies" too, but back to the topic

Girl: is officially a Sigma Kappa. (!!!!!)
Boy: Good Job...I knew you would get picked. Watch out for the hazing part...

i dont know why this made me laugh so hard.

oh and this...

Girl: Cant wait to join a sorority at FIU!!! Phi Sigma Kappa!!
Friend: One note of sororities, you suppose to keep it a secret of where Yu wanna b until Yu actually get in. They will b checkin yo Facebook so I advise Yu to delete this..'
Girl: naw girl i havent even signed up for nothin. i might wait next year to pledge but it wont be dat sorority. i just like em dats all

for some reason i think things other than her facebook might prevent her from going phi sig kap...

Last edited by emilyljulian; 09-15-2010 at 09:11 PM.
Old 09-15-2010, 09:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emilyljulian View Post
I hate "Babies" too, but back to the topic

Girl: is officially a Sigma Kappa. (!!!!!)
Boy: Good Job...I knew you would get picked. Watch out for the hazing part...

i dont know why this made me laugh so hard.

oh and this...

Girl: Cant wait to join a sorority at FIU!!! Phi Sigma Kappa!!
Friend: One note of sororities, you suppose to keep it a secret of where Yu wanna b until Yu actually get in. They will b checkin yo Facebook so I advise Yu to delete this..'
Girl: naw girl i havent even signed up for nothin. i might wait next year to pledge but it wont be dat sorority. i just like em dats all

for some reason i think things other than her facebook might prevent her from going phi sig kap...
Hoping she meant Sigma Kappa, otherwise, wow.
Old 09-15-2010, 09:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post
Me too. It drives me crazy (not to mention the fact that our HQ discourages it). They are adults. Heck, a NM could potentially be older than some of the women who are calling her a "baby violet."

I'm not the "meanie alumna who corrects our terminology" by any means, but that is the one term that I will correct if a VP is using it on one of our calls, and I will be the "meanie alumna who ruins our fun plans" if your bid day shirt ideas involve shirts saying "baby violet." No, I don't care if every other chapter on your campus uses some variation of "baby _____."
We've always done it and it's never bothered me. I didn't mind being a Baby Squirrel at 18...thought it was kinda cute.

"A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five."
Groucho Marx
Old 09-15-2010, 10:32 PM
GreekChat Member

I spent four years in college fighting the use of "girls" rather than "women" - I lost that battle.

The "baby dove" thing makes me a little squeamish, just because... have you ever seen a recently hatched bird? Not super cute.

Old 09-15-2010, 10:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alumiyum View Post
We've always done it and it's never bothered me. I didn't mind being a Baby Squirrel at 18...thought it was kinda cute.
Ditto. Plus as having a sister-mother implies that you're a child. In my chapter it only lasts up to initiation anyways and no one obsessively brings it up.
Old 09-15-2010, 11:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdInCanada11 View Post
Ditto. Plus as having a sister-mother implies that you're a child. In my chapter it only lasts up to initiation anyways and no one obsessively brings it up.
I've noticed a lot of AGD chapters say "sister-mom" and "sister-daughter" instead of big and little. Is that unique to AGD?
Old 09-15-2010, 11:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by violetpretty View Post
I've noticed a lot of AGD chapters say "sister-mom" and "sister-daughter" instead of big and little. Is that unique to AGD?
While a number of chapters do use the terms Big/Little Sister, all of our new member education materials specifically say "Sister-mother" and "Sister-daughter," so those terms are the official ones used, and they do trace back to our founders. I actually looked through archive materials at IHQ and found the term "sister-mother" in things from 1904.

It's been an ongoing battle for years to get people to use the right terms, but I think the powers that be have finally decided to quit sweating the small stuff. Volunteers are expected to use correct terminology, but we aren't to get in a hissy if it's not used.
Old 09-15-2010, 11:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzgirl View Post
Twitter status from a current member:

"lauren while watching sororities give out bids: aopi are baby pandas, aphi are baby angels. What r our pledges? Baby alcoholics? "
Why/since when are Alpha Phi pledges called angels? I've only heard of Pi Phi pledges being called baby angels, because ya know, one of their actual symbols is an angel. If anything, our pledges have been called baby Phis.
Old 09-15-2010, 11:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetygerlily View Post
  • alas! i thought i was safe from sorority recruitment, but those vile felines hath layed siege upon the music building! their shrill shrieks penetrate even my soundproof audio studio fortress - this is my last stand, i utter my final words. i loveth mine family, and my friends, and i'll miss thee, and i only wish my demise wouldst have been anything other than scantily clad skanks chanting to mine peril

I couldn't help but imagine the voice of Stewie Griffin when I read this one.
Old 09-16-2010, 12:07 AM
GreekChat Member

Boy: I walked out of the math building today to a hundred sorority girls clapping and cheering for no apparent reason, so I decided they were cheering for me finishing my calc test. I raped it by the way.
Boy: ooops. I mean the test, not the sorority girls.

hahahahaha. I love the status search capability.
Old 09-16-2010, 12:44 AM
GreekChat Member

Here's a cute one:
"Recruitment finally done.......really happy with the new guys we have.........I can honestly say that i've done the best I can to make Sigma Nu what it is and what it will be. I love my fraternity and I love my brothers. Thanks for all the support. Now its time to have some fun. "
Old 09-16-2010, 01:24 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen View Post
Go to facebook and in the search bar, type in whatever you want to search - make sure nothing drops down and gets highlighted, then press search. It'll take you to a results page. On the left click "Posts by Everyone" and it'll show you all public status updates with your search words.

I LOVE THIS.
I never even knew this was possible until this post

Θ Φ Α

Old 09-16-2010, 02:03 AM
GreekChat Member

I used your status tip and no lie, I found something I could trace back to GC. I'm getting all Angela Lansbury as Jessica Fletcher up in this piece, but it relates back to an alleged troll, and one of Senusret I's favorite things, a race war.

Someone else is helping that thread rise again.

Last edited by VandalSquirrel; 09-16-2010 at 02:06 AM.
Old 09-16-2010, 08:28 AM
GreekChat Member

I searched Alpha Gamma Delta just out of curiosity, and found "alpha gamma delta or alpha omicron pi?", complete with comments on which org to join. While it isn't too radical, it still blows my mind that someone would even put that out there. You never know who will see it