GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,123
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zsamulpitt5293
» Online Users: 1,078
1 members and 1,077 guests
Sarak24034

Old 08-01-2009, 03:34 PM
GreekChat Member

gee ess...the Greek Life office at my particular school said repeatedly "I know you will hear differently, but you only need one rec for each house on campus...the houses are overwhelmed with recs and more than one won't help you". They went on to suggest that we compile an stamped evelope that included a resume, transcript and picture. We were instructed to send that to the person that would be writing the rec for us. The person would use the info to write the rec and then place the rec & RIF in the envelope addressed to the specific GLO on campus and mail. That's it. I get it.

However, sure enough, I have heard from many people from this campus that the above process is not enough...."sucessfull pnms send in several additional recs/letters of support for each house". This is what is confusing me.

I believe I will have a rec for all of the GLOs on campus in the near future...I'm trying. Some will be stronger than others (personal vs asking an alum chapter). But I'll keep trying.

I'm just trying to play by the rules. I'm just having a bit of difficulty finding the "offical rule book".
Old 08-01-2009, 04:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by circlet View Post
I'm just trying to play by the rules. I'm just having a bit of difficulty finding the "offical rule book".
There is lies the the problem, there is no "official rule book" that covers Rec policies for all GLO's. On top of that even the policies within a GLO can vary from chapter to chapter.

My standard rule of thumb I suggest for SEC PNMs is 1 Rec per chapter is good (minimum), 2 is better, any more than 3 is starting to be overkill. But there is also the different "quality" of Recs taken into consideration. 50 Recs from alumnae who have never met a PNM will not outweigh 1 well written Rec from someone who knows the PNM very well. All that does is get the PNM the nickname of "Rec Girl". *Flash back to a thread from years ago where someone talked about that.*
Old 08-01-2009, 05:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Don't get too hung up on the recs, girls. Check the box for each GLO with a RIF (which in my sorority stands for Recruitment Introduction Form). if you can get personal letters of support, great, but don't freak out if you don't have them. It's much more important to go in to rush relaxed and confident. Personality will trump recs every time (as long as you have met the minimum). If the members fall in love with you, they'll bid you over the tongue-tied girl with an over-full rec file!
Old 08-01-2009, 05:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drgnlady View Post
Don't get too hung up on the recs, girls. Check the box for each GLO with a RIF (which in my sorority stands for Recruitment Introduction Form). if you can get personal letters of support, great, but don't freak out if you don't have them. It's much more important to go in to rush relaxed and confident. Personality will trump recs every time (as long as you have met the minimum). If the members fall in love with you, they'll bid you over the tongue-tied girl with an over-full rec file!

Not worrying about recs is bad advice for pnms at some schools. At SEC schools,(and many others) recs are very,very important.
Old 08-01-2009, 08:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Thank you gee ess. I have been pondering whether to reply to the OP. I just want Texas PNM's to understand that every alumnae panhellenic is different. While attending a luncheon and turning in their information to some slumnae panhellenics assures you of a reference, for some it does not. I can only speak personally of the Dallas Pahellenic, where " signing up with panhellenic" does not assure you of a reference. It is made very clear in their information session and the booklet they publish to the pnm but every year we have young ladies surprised by the process.
I can only speak for my group, but rarely if ever are "panhellenic files" used for references.

Part of me wishes the tradition will change but until then, it is what it is.
Old 08-01-2009, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tld221 View Post
I have another question:

When a PNM is gathering recs, is it a general rec to her school's Panhellenic, or is she aiming for as many recs for the number of orgs on her campus? I could see the latter being really time consuming and the former being kinda useless.
There is no "general Panhellenic rec." PNMs should secure a rec for each sorority on campus. Time consuming? Yes. But very necessary at some schools.

Lakers Nation.
Old 08-01-2009, 11:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
This is potentially very damaging advice.

For some schools, it's like telling someone who is wanting to go to another country not to worry about bringing their passport!!! Seriously, at some schools, there are so many girls coming through the doors, that not having a rec becomes an easy way to release girls.
Old 08-02-2009, 09:46 AM
GreekChat Member

tippiechick...thank you for painting a very clear picture of the importance of recs!
Old 08-02-2009, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Personality will trump recs every time (as long as you have met the minimum).
FALSE.

At some schools (such as UT), Panhellenic is very upfront in saying that girls without recs are very likely to be released after the first day.

Lakers Nation.
Old 08-02-2009, 05:17 PM
GreekChat Member

In drgnlady's defense. I read something totally different in her message. I don't think she said recs were not important, I think she is saying a reference for each chapter is enough (the minimum) that overdoing references was not necessary. That said, at UT, it is generally the rule, one reference and two letters of support for many but not all chapters is necessary to be invited back to 2nd round but also this is no guarantee either. Remember too, Panhellenic has a lot to say as to how many you can invite back to 2nd round so after grades, this is the easiest way to cut down the list.
Old 08-02-2009, 11:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gee_ess View Post
Not worrying about recs is bad advice for pnms at some schools. At SEC schools,(and many others) recs are very,very important.
If you would go back and read my actual advice, I told the PNM to make sure to have a RIF and get letters of support, if possible. My advice stands. Do not go in to rush worried that every other PNM has more recs than you. Being yourself, relaxed and confident is the single most important thing. My daughter recently rushed at a competitive SEC school (as an out-of-stater) with only a single RIF for some chapters and had a highly successful rush. I stand by my advice.
Old 08-02-2009, 11:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just interested View Post
In drgnlady's defense. I read something totally different in her message. I don't think she said recs were not important, I think she is saying a reference for each chapter is enough (the minimum) that overdoing references was not necessary. That said, at UT, it is generally the rule, one reference and two letters of support for many but not all chapters is necessary to be invited back to 2nd round but also this is no guarantee either. Remember too, Panhellenic has a lot to say as to how many you can invite back to 2nd round so after grades, this is the easiest way to cut down the list.
Thanks for reading correctly.
Old 08-03-2009, 08:50 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Don't get too hung up on the recs, girls.
This was the line that I was concerned about. I agree that your advice to relax, have a good time, make sure you are putting forth your best, etc is going to be very important.
But, if the first advice given to young women seeking rec info is not to get too worked up over recs, then this is not correct in some instances. Here at GC, we try not to make broad sweeping generalizations that might not apply to everyone in every situation.
If the OP is hearing that the info on the college pan website is not what she is hearing in real life, then she should pay attention and try to "follow the unwritten rules" of that campus.
I think justinterested said it best by pointing out that not having the correct number of recs is often the easiest way to cut down the list.