GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Pi > Pi Kappa Alpha
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,463
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, RogelioLan
» Online Users: 2,485
1 members and 2,484 guests
Kevin

Old 02-16-2005, 10:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Community Service

Any ideas for easy and fun community service?

In the bonds,

Matt Hamilton
Gamma Xi
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 02-17-2005, 10:19 AM
GreekChat Member

community service

we always do habitat for humanity things. we offered to paint an old church, they paid for the supplies we did the labor. we have worked at a nursing home, doing manual labor in their garden area and painting rooms, that was a lot of fun actually. we have volunteered at the firestations, signed up for a local small towns volunteer fire department, we got the fire station to sponsor our pike firefighter shirts. we even umpired at the police and firefighters softball blowout. it really helped with our image and gave us huge local publicity. thats all i can think of that was fun.
Old 02-18-2005, 03:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Down here in LA we help out with Mardi Gras parades providing security maybe ya'll have a local event you could use...We also help out with fish and wildlife on some of their events for children. Those are the most fun ones.
Old 03-04-2005, 02:21 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Pike1483
American Cancer Society

We always do ACS Relay for Life. It's a lot of fun, and if you can get the entire Greek Community involved, you can have a blast and raise tons of money for cancer research. Pike has had a team all 3 years that I've been at school, and I've been on the team every year. Last year I was team captain and I'm captain again this year, so I know a lot about it, and it's a great charity. Go to www.cancer.org for more information. If anybody has any questions about it, just contact me.

Last edited by Pike1483; 03-04-2005 at 02:25 AM.
Old 12-14-2005, 12:36 AM
GreekChat Member

We are involved with a local elementary school in the not so nice part of town. We have an overnight for them every year and play games, eat food, watch movies, go swimming and other stuff the whole night. It is a lot of fun. Probably one of my favorite college memories so far. We also have a haunted school for them every year around halloween. They come and play games for candy and then go through our haunted house. It provides a safe place for the to trick-or-treat. We also have a tikki roast with a sorority. We dig a big hole and roast a couple pigs. We also have a big smoker going that we cook brisket on. We give all the money to Make-A-Wish. It is always a fun time. We recently had a benefit concert for the Katrina Relief effort. Had Waking Ashland and then some local bands come play. It was a really good concert and raised quite a bit for the relief effort. Another good one for the beginning of the year is to help freshman move into the dorms. They appreciate the extra hands and it is good publicity. We've recruited a couple guys by helping them move in. Those are just a few of the ones we do. If you want more let me know and I can get you some of our smaller ones.
Old 01-06-2006, 11:39 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to ThetaO Pike
This is more of a community involvement event, but how about a spaghetti dinner with the local fire department... It is an awesome time and local media love do stuff with the fire department... you can kind of ride their coat tails to get media coverage, and they will probably let you take a group photo with the fire engine!