GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > News & Politics

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 319,449
Threads: 115,056
Welcome to our newest member, MarryRocker
» Online Users: 210
1 members and 209 guests
shirley1929

Old 02-25-2010, 08:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
When I think of some of the things we said about our teachers...it was completely just blowing off steam.
And if you had found a very public way to blow off your steam, you would've created a formal record of your steam that would be worthy of parental and/or school punishment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
If someone said this kid was obsessed with weapons or fire though, that might give me pause.
Why? Can't this kid be obsessed with whatever he wants in the comfort of his own home? Not everyone who is obsessed with weapons or fire is dangerous---the National Rifle Association and National Fire Association have the data to prove that. Why don't we wait until the kid kills the entire school before we begin to pause?
Old 02-25-2010, 08:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Well at the point when shots are going off, you'd be too busy running to pause.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhil View Post
Lesson learned: Think before you speak. Either shut up about it or express it in a more discreet manner. That also applies to college students who think it is wise to blast professors on the Internet. Discretion and appropriate behavior are things that should be learned long before they go through GLO recruitment.
That's why I am smh at everyone that keeps yelling, "Well he had the right to do it!" Just because you have a RIGHT to say something doesn't mean that you won't be held accountable for it later.

Sure, you have the right to say whatever the hell you want. Someone else has the right to not hire you, not let you into their school or not do business with you. Just ask Michael, Don and Isiah.

This kid may wind up going to court and win...sure...but down the line if someone thinks about hiring him and yes, those court records can be sealed since he is a minor, the fact that he was in the news and the news record is an 'unofficial public record' documenting something that happened in your life that you were involved in, can adversely affect you being hired.
Law and Order: Gotham - “In the Criminal Justice System of Gotham City the people are represented by three separate, yet equally important groups. The police who investigate crime, the District Attorneys who prosecute the offenders, and the Batman. These are their stories.”

Last edited by DaemonSeid; 02-25-2010 at 08:26 PM.
Old 02-25-2010, 08:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaemonSeid View Post
Well at the point when shots are going off, you'd be too busy running to pause.

And afterwards, people would be looking for after-the-fact CLUES. OMG, he created that facebook fan page! OMG, he was always bitching about life! OMG, he wanted to buy guns but we thought he was just a collector. OHHHHHEMMMMMGEEEEE!!!!!! Why didn't we catch these sooner?!?! We missed the warning signs!!!! Stooopid us?!?!?!?!?
Old 02-25-2010, 08:27 PM
GreekChat Member

as you said... "well duh."

Sometimes it's just better keeping some things to yourself.

Something else too, as I was jsut discussing this with s/o, I told her that sometimes if you are that pissed off, or you feeling shadey, why not do what you need to do anonymously!!!!
Law and Order: Gotham - “In the Criminal Justice System of Gotham City the people are represented by three separate, yet equally important groups. The police who investigate crime, the District Attorneys who prosecute the offenders, and the Batman. These are their stories.”
Old 02-25-2010, 10:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Lesson learned: Think before you speak. Either shut up about it or express it in a more discreet manner. That also applies to college students who think it is wise to blast professors on the Internet. Discretion and appropriate behavior are things that should be learned long before they go through GLO recruitment.

Treat ALL students who exhibit certain behaviors the same from the start as to avoid profiling particular "types" of students. No one can tell the "difference." That's the point.
I agree that it's not about profiling types of students. It's about recognizing types of behavior and acting on that behavior.

But it doesn't make sense to treat a kid who has never demonstrated scary behavior before saying "that teacher is the worst teacher I've ever had" online as if she in fact threatened the teacher or as if she said it to the teacher's face in class (as happened in a previous facebook case).

I don't have a problem with schools simply talking some students for the reasons that you suggest, but trying to discipline students for non-threatening, non-disruptive comments that they made online away from campus is probably counterproductive.

Since they are teenagers, sometimes no reaction, or at least no reaction that they know of, is actually the best way to make a behavior go away.
Old 02-25-2010, 10:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Interestingly, and possibly sort of related, my daughter's high school created a fan page on Facebook and kids starting becoming a fan right and left. I noticed my daughter had not and asked her why. She said "Whoever started that page can see all your personal stuff if you become their fan and I'm concerned people will start getting in trouble for what they put on Facebook" And she's a straight A student, Girl Scout, band geek who would probably not do or say anything that would get her in trouble, but she's smart enough to realize that it might not be the wisest thing to join that page, not knowing who has access to the info!

My mother ALWAYS said, never put anything in writing that you wouldn't want published in the newspaper. This applies to the 'net too.
Old 02-25-2010, 10:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

And afterwards, people would be looking for after-the-fact CLUES. OMG, he created that facebook fan page! OMG, he was always bitching about life! OMG, he wanted to buy guns but we thought he was just a collector. OHHHHHEMMMMMGEEEEE!!!!!! Why didn't we catch these sooner?!?! We missed the warning signs!!!! Stooopid us?!?!?!?!?
That's the type of thing that's happening at VT right now. And while some administrators did report the bastard that shot up my school, it never really penetrated the higher levels. The worst way to learn a lesson? Yes. But you still have to have that line before the policing becomes too much.
Old 02-25-2010, 10:49 PM
GreekChat Member

AGDee,

I don't think being a fan of something does actually give them access to all of your info, but better safe than sorry.

From Facebook:

"Page privacy for fans
Can a Page see my information if I become a fan?

Pages cannot see the profiles of their fans. They can only see the profile photo and name of each of their fans. In addition, Pages do not receive a News Feed with information about what their fans are doing. Pages can communicate with their fans through updates in your Inbox, but they have no additional access to your personal information."
Old 02-26-2010, 12:01 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by UGAalum94 View Post
Since they are teenagers, sometimes no reaction, or at least no reaction that they know of, is actually the best way to make a behavior go away.
The success of that is 50-50, which is why I deal with any unacceptable behavior from teenagers the way that I feel adults should deal with children:
You let them know what the rules and expectations are right away so you can spend less time repeating yourself and trying to reestablish the respect and conformity that you let slip away because you were busy "not reacting."

You'll have plenty of time to let kids' behaviors roll off your back. Everytime isnt the right time.
Old 02-26-2010, 07:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
The success of that is 50-50, which is why I deal with any unacceptable behavior from teenagers the way that I feel adults should deal with children:
You let them know what the rules and expectations are right away so you can spend less time repeating yourself and trying to reestablish the respect and conformity that you let slip away because you were busy "not reacting."

You'll have plenty of time to let kids' behaviors roll off your back. Everytime isnt the right time.
which is why I said "sometimes no reaction. . . "
Old 02-26-2010, 08:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGDee View Post
"Whoever started that page can see all your personal stuff if you become their fan and I'm concerned people will start getting in trouble for what they put on Facebook" And she's a straight A student, Girl Scout, band geek who would probably not do or say anything that would get her in trouble, but she's smart enough to realize that it might not be the wisest thing to join that page, not knowing who has access to the info!
First of all, props to your daughter for being aware of the issue. They can't see her info because she is a fan of their page, but if they wanted to, they'd find a different way.

But to clear it up, fan page administrators can't look at the profile info of their fans. I administer a couple different pages for clients, and the only minifeed/profiles I can see are my friends. There just happens to be an extra sidebar on my account where I can update and edit the pages.

Applications you add, on the other hand...

Last edited by annabella; 02-26-2010 at 09:27 PM.
Old 02-26-2010, 09:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by UGAalum94 View Post
which is why I said "sometimes no reaction. . . "
I don't think that's why you said that, but...sure...good save.
Old 02-26-2010, 11:17 PM
GreekChat Member

You're right. It probably isn't why I said it, but I wanted to make clear that I wasn't suggesting that the best reaction was always just to let comments drop.

Sometimes you need to confront them. Sometimes it's better not too. And I also agree that communicating expectations is important, but sometimes expectations and hopes aren't actually enforceable, and in cases like facebook or the internet, which may or may not fall under the school's control, it might be wise not to choose that particular battle. You don't want it to end up being the school that actually creates the disruption and that potential is there.
Old 03-05-2010, 01:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Here's the update/resolution of this story from the Southtown Star
http://www.southtownstar.com/neighbo...cebook.article

Glad it's not going to Court as the district cannot afford to go that route.