GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,446
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, ageldarkz5086
» Online Users: 1,966
2 members and 1,964 guests
babobygooglet93

Old 08-15-2012, 09:46 AM
GreekChat Member

Nervousmom, don't believe anything from "The Site Which Shall Not Be Named." It is absolute trash.

MaggieXi's suggestion was spot on -- take a look at the national and chapter websites of the groups your daughter has left. Each organization has hundreds of thousands of sisters nationwide who are filled with love and pride for their group and for each other.

Keep encouraging your daughter to go through the entire process. Pref is a very emotional, not-to-be missed experience. These are the groups that see something special in your daughter and want her as part of their sisterhood. Encourage her to see it through. She'll find her letters.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-15-2012, 10:13 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
I also want to point out that two of the groups that take a lot of heat on that other site are the groups that are newest to campus. That means they are working to establish themselves, and have a ton of national and alumnae support as they work to do so, i.e. they are on their way up, not down.

I know sometimes people legitimately don't want to join a group that is constantly struggling (where they are being rushed three-on-one or clearly disorganized or whatever), but that really isn't the case with any group at UK. Every group is fairly equal in size, all have chapter houses, and all will offer similar experiences to their members.

Last edited by DeltaBetaBaby; 08-15-2012 at 10:16 AM.
Old 08-15-2012, 12:44 PM
GreekChat Member

I just heard from DD. She is in a much better mood today. She was invited back to both houses. She is going to both parties and will decide after that what she wants to do. I've gotten great advice on here and really appreciate all of the help and kind words! This is a great site and I'm so glad I ran across it when I did. Good luck to all of the girls!
Old 08-15-2012, 12:47 PM
GreekChat Member

I just heard from my daughter and she was cut from her 1st and 3rd choice. She still has her 2nd, 4th and 5th. She is very happy and not the least bit disappointed. I really think her second choice has been her first choice all along but she kept putting the other one first because it was the sorority you are supposed to want in. It was the one all her friends want in and I think she wanted to be with them.
I am so glad that she is dealing with this so well and is having a great time.
Good luck to all the other girls and I cant wait to hear from the other moms.
Old 08-15-2012, 12:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Okay I'm freaking out over here...still have not heard from my daughter. I am hoping that is a good sign :/ I'm glad to hear the other girls are happy with their preference schedule!

I'll post again when I hear from mine and boy do I hope it's soon!
Old 08-15-2012, 01:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Moms- hang in there. You are wonderful support people for your daughters. GC is a wonderful support for you!!!!
Keep us posted when you can.
Old 08-15-2012, 01:20 PM
GreekChat Member

UKMOM14, nervousmom and UKCATFAN: We are all cheering for your daughters -- and for YOU!

It will all work out for your girls. Please keep us posted! We are so thrilled for all of you!
Old 08-15-2012, 01:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKMOM14 View Post
Okay I'm freaking out over here...still have not heard from my daughter. I am hoping that is a good sign :/ I'm glad to hear the other girls are happy with their preference schedule!

I'll post again when I hear from mine and boy do I hope it's soon!
UKMOM14, I have found that texting works the best... Try ALL CAPS TOO! It seems more demanding somehow...
Old 08-15-2012, 01:25 PM
GreekChat Member

^^^Ha ha..sooo true! Good luck to everyone today and hang in there moms, it's almost over!
Old 08-15-2012, 01:29 PM
GreekChat Member

I don't want to leave this chat but I have to get my nails done! LOL!
Old 08-15-2012, 01:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks Ladies...still haven't heard anything but I did try the text with ALL CAPS So hopefully if she's not answering because she's at a house then she will after.

I'll keep you updated.
Old 08-15-2012, 01:43 PM
GreekChat Member

I just spoke with my daughter and she had a break the first round. She goes to her first house at 2:00. She sent me a picture of her and she is wearing a casual sundress which really freaks me out. She has a ton of nice dresses. How bad will this affect her or am I just being paranoid?
Old 08-15-2012, 01:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nervousmom View Post
I just spoke with my daughter and she had a break the first round. She goes to her first house at 2:00. She sent me a picture of her and she is wearing a casual sundress which really freaks me out. She has a ton of nice dresses. How bad will this affect her or am I just being paranoid?

Pref round is supposed to be a dressier outfit. Something you would wear to a wedding. I wouldn't advise a sundress for this round.
Old 08-15-2012, 01:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by nervousmom View Post
Depends. She will probably feel a bit awkward if she gets to her first party and feels underdressed, but it's not like chapters are going to go back and remove her from their bid lists over it.
Old 08-15-2012, 02:38 PM
GreekChat Member

I spoke to my daughter again and she said that her gamma chi felt her dress was too dressy and looked through her closet and picked this one. She also sent the picture to some of the other gamma chis who agreed she should wear the more casual one. I am sure they know what they are doing and I need to leave it up to the experts.