GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,129
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zavictoiajnr131
» Online Users: 1,254
0 members and 1,254 guests
No Members online

Old 10-10-2009, 12:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Dropping before Initiation and rejoining again

I need help!

I dropped out of a sorority right before initiation last semester. My university has a very competitive greek community that does rush in the spring. I dropped out of the sorority because I thought I was going to transfer schools at the time and did not want to commit myself to the sorority in case I didn't like the chapter at the new school.

I ended up not transferring, and I would like to rejoin the old sorority. Since my reason for dropping last semester had nothing to do with not liking the sorority, is it possible for me to rejoin and get a snap bid? (This particular sorority does give out snap bids).

I really wish I didn't drop. Are drop-ees shunned from the sorority forever?
Old 10-10-2009, 01:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Not this year. You are committed from one calendar year so you can pledge no group until that time is up.
Old 10-10-2009, 01:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Can I rejoin in the Spring? It would be one year since I went through recruitment
Old 10-10-2009, 01:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
Not this year. You are committed from one calendar year so you can pledge no group until that time is up.
Really? That rule applies even if it is the same sorority?
Old 10-10-2009, 01:27 PM

I think that every sorority has a different policy on repledging girls who depledge.

Some allow it and others may not.

I know that my particlar sorority allows it, at the chapter's descretion.

Your best bet is to contact the NM Ed person in the chapter (or VP or whoever is in charge of new members) and ask what the policy is about re-joining.

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 10-10-2009 at 01:35 PM.
Old 10-10-2009, 03:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Sorry, I misread the timing.

You can go thru formal recruitment again if it's been a year since the previous formal recruitment on your campus. You are free to pledge any group that offers you a bid at that time. Prior to that, the rules of the particular organization, their situation vis-a-vis total and any other college PH rules (class standing eligibility for COR - which this would be) along with whether they want you back govern whether they are able to extend you a bid now. Hope that straigtens it out!
Old 10-10-2009, 07:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daisygirl44 View Post
Are drop-ees shunned from the sorority forever?
In my personal experience, yes they are. However, I have no way of knowing what your particular sorority will do.

I was in a somewhat similar situation being a non-initiated pledge (for different reasons). I tried for 2 years to repledge. It didn't work.

I'm thrilled that I ended up being a Kappa Delta instead so please don't think that your initial sorority is the only one you can be happy in.

PM me if you'd like to talk more.

Old 10-10-2009, 09:12 PM
GreekChat Member

My sister-daughter had to drop out of school during the semester that she was pledging because of a medical reason and came back the next semester. The policies on this vary by chapter and NPC so the only thing you can do is talk to someone in the chapter, probably the President and find out whether it's possible.
Old 10-11-2009, 11:32 AM
GreekChat Member

I'm sorry you made a big decision so hastily. Hopefully they will welcome you back, but that may depend a great deal on how you left. If it was on good terms and they understood, then they may be more open to it. If you didn't share in detail your concerns at the time, then you may be sunk. The best you can do is talk to the president and go from there. I wish you the best!
Old 10-11-2009, 01:53 PM

Have you kept in touch with the sisters at all, once you decided not to transfer? Did they suggest maybe you could finish pledging this fall since you were still bound to them?

I mean, you dropped for a very good reason and I don't think they would hold it against you. But by the same token, if you didn't keep up those friendships with them after you stopped pledging - if you basically dropped off the face of the earth - I don't think they're going to welcome you back or give you another bid.
Old 10-12-2009, 12:35 AM
GreekChat Member

I have kept in touch with some sisters, and they knew my situation. We're still friends, but not super duper close. One sister mentioned something, but it was ambiguous.

Thanks for all the input! I guess it just varies from chapter to chapter. I'll look more into it.