GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,129
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zavictoiajnr131
» Online Users: 1,298
3 members and 1,295 guests
naraht, PGD-GRAD, TLLK

Old 11-14-2006, 01:26 PM
GreekChat Member

UVa sexual assault case resolved after 22 years

A 12-step apology leads to a guilty plea
POSTED: 1:19 p.m. EST, November 14, 2006

CHARLOTTESVILLE, Virginia (AP) -- A man who sexually assaulted a fellow University of Virginia student in 1984 and then apologized to her two decades later as part of the 12-step Alcoholics Anonymous program pleaded guilty to the crime Tuesday.

"This began as an effort to make amends," William Beebe said in a statement outside of court. "Twenty-two years ago I harmed another person and I have tried to set that right."

Beebe, 41, of Las Vegas, Nevada, entered his plea in Charlottesville Circuit Court to one count of aggravated sexual battery for assaulting Liz Seccuro during a party at a fraternity house.

Under AA's ninth step, alcoholics are advised to make amends to those they've harmed. Last year, Beebe -- a member of AA -- decided to write Seccuro a letter to make amends for assaulting her.

Seccuro, 39 and living in Greenwich, Connecticut, said Beebe's letter reopened old wounds when it arrived in September 2005. She eventually replied to his letter and the two entered into a two-month e-mail correspondence.

In their e-mails, which Seccuro provided to The Associated Press, Beebe told Seccuro he had long been haunted by what he had done, and wanted to atone for having harmed her.

But Seccuro became upset when his account did not match with her memory of the assault, which she describes as violent and savage. She was 17 years old and still a virgin when Beebe attacked her, she said.

In December, Seccuro called Charlottesville police to report what had happened. As there is no statute of limitations on felonies in Virginia, Beebe was arrested in Las Vegas and extradited to Virginia.

Beebe had been scheduled to face trial November 27 on charges of rape and object sexual penetration. He could have faced life in prison if convicted of those charges.

Prosecutor Claude Worrell told the court that one of the main reasons his office agreed to a plea is because the investigation revealed that more than one person may have assaulted Seccuro.

Under the agreement, the state recommended that Beebe serve two years in prison. Formal sentencing is set for March 15. Beebe will remain free on bond until then.

During his court appearance Tuesday, Beebe glanced at Seccuro often, his expression almost serene. Seccuro -- flanked by her former sorority sisters and husband -- stared straight ahead, avoiding his gaze.

When Beebe entered his plea -- "guilty as charged" -- Seccuro bowed her head and wiped away tears.

Outside of court Tuesday, Seccuro said tearfully, "I think that the idea of closure for any victim of a sexual assault is not reality. There is never closure.

Seccuro went public with her name and story, hoping to inspire other sexual assault survivors to seek help. She launched a donor fund called STARS -- Sisters Together Assisting Rape Survivors -- to raise money for programs helping rape victims and their families.
Old 11-14-2006, 01:34 PM
GreekChat Member

I do believe this would be more appropriate in the Risk Management or News forum.
Old 11-14-2006, 01:54 PM

I think the story should be posted on every board to cover all bases and make AlphaFrog happy.

This story was on the news a few years ago. The administrators at UVa should be thrown in jail. After the incident, UVa helped cover up the .
Old 11-14-2006, 02:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmax View Post
I think the story should be posted on every board to cover all bases and make AlphaFrog happy.
It has nothing to do with Greek Life.
Old 11-14-2006, 02:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Of course it has to do with Greek life. The rape took place at a fraternity house during a party. I'm assuming (correct me if I'm wrong) that the man in question was a member of the fraternity, and the article says the woman was accompanied by her sorority sisters in court. This is an example of things chapters are held responsible for (a fraternity on my campus was kicked off for a similar incident), and therefore I think you're correct in saying earlier that this probably belongs in the risk management category. But it still is relevant to Greek life.
Old 11-14-2006, 04:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaFrog View Post
It has nothing to do with Greek Life.

And why not?

It has everything to do with living as a Social Greek in todays culture even if nothing else as a warning!

I also beleive that it only said that it happened at a Fraternity House, not by a Fraternity Member.

I agree, it should be posted on C C and R M threads.

Learning is being careful isn't it?

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 11-14-2006, 04:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Earp View Post
It has everything to do with living as a Social Greek in todays culture even if nothing else as a warning!
This happened 22 years ago. How is that "today's culture"?
Old 11-14-2006, 04:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Exactly for the reason you posted.

History repeats it self.

Read todays posts or news, it is not 22 years old, it is today.

LX Z # 1
Alumni