GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,128
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, baadamashtolzea
» Online Users: 1,146
1 members and 1,145 guests
Sarak24034

Old 02-07-2018, 11:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Cornell Zeta Beta Tau "Pig Roast" contest; extra points for sex with heaviest woman

https://www.buzzfeed.com/juliareinst...y4m#.mi1bDRGDo

Quote:
New members acquired "points" by having sex with women, and "in the event of a tie, additional points were awarded to the new member who had had sex with a woman who had weighed the most."

The new members were told not to tell the women about the contest.

After an investigation that concluded in January, the ZBT chapter was placed on two years of probation.

@~/~~~~
Old 02-08-2018, 11:33 AM
Super Moderator

This revolting stuff has been around for awhile. When I was at Arkansas, one of the dorms had an annual Pig In a Poke party and the prize went to the guy with the heaviest date. I can't imagine the girls' horror when they figured it out.
Old 02-08-2018, 12:51 PM
GreekChat Member

And as if all the hazing and alcohol-related horror stories aren’t enough, then THESE fools pull something like this. Sometimes I feel like we as Greeks (men at least) have actually DIGRESSED. It’s just demoralizing. We should all be EMPOWERING each other, especially with the METOO movement. It’s almost as if there’s a feeling that it’s OKAY to be rude and sexist.
Old 02-09-2018, 02:36 AM
GreekChat Member

If true, this surely is a new low.
Old 02-09-2018, 06:26 AM
GreekChat Member

Should they be suspended and or sanctioned for Code of Conduct rules of the school?

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 02-09-2018, 08:51 AM
Super Moderator

I don't think the school could sanction them like that as Cornell is a strange public/private amalgamation. Public schools really can't (or at least shouldn't) be in the business of sanctioning students for offensive speech.

The national office is another story.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 02-09-2018, 12:01 PM
Super Moderator

With all the talk about political correctness, Millennials sobbing over people getting their feelings hurt and needing safe spaces, this chapter obviously didn't get the memo. Those poor women who are invited to this event will probably live with the pain for years, if not a lifetime.
Old 02-09-2018, 12:13 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeychile View Post
With all the talk about political correctness, Millennials sobbing over people getting their feelings hurt and needing safe spaces, this chapter obviously didn't get the memo.
I think all of the PCness sort of exacerbates the need for some people to act awful--just because they can. College is a place where people test boundaries. Here's a pretty good example of where some students tested their boundaries and vastly exceeded them.
Old 02-09-2018, 12:24 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
I think all of the PCness sort of exacerbates the need for some people to act awful--just because they can. College is a place where people test boundaries. Here's a pretty good example of where some students tested their boundaries and vastly exceeded them.
Agreeing, and repeating the key word here: VASTLY!
Old 02-11-2018, 01:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I don't think the school could sanction them like that as Cornell is a strange public/private amalgamation. Public schools really can't (or at least shouldn't) be in the business of sanctioning students for offensive speech.

The sanctions appear to be for the conduct of the students involved. I do not see how the actions of the university against the fraternity seek to forbid communication by the fraternity of specific ideas (i.e., content of speech). They are not being punished for what they said, but for what they did.
Old 02-11-2018, 02:20 PM
Super Moderator

It's a distinction with very little difference. If the conduct was intended to convey a message and the audience perceives the message as intended, we see the same protections kick in. Universities often overstep what they should be allowed to do simply because most of our organizations fail to defend their rights. We have a right to offensive speech and offensive conduct.
Old 02-11-2018, 02:51 PM
GreekChat Member

If there is little difference between regulation of conduct vs. content, there wouldn't be 150+ U.S. Supreme Court cases dealing with freedom of speech.
Old 02-11-2018, 04:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

For what it's worth, Cornell is a private university. They can suspend whomever they want for whatever speech they want. Three of its colleges are state-supported, since they are the land-grant school for the state of New York, but the school on the whole is not controlled by the state of NY.