GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,426
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Abisha55
» Online Users: 2,511
0 members and 2,511 guests
No Members online

Old 01-24-2012, 05:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Maybe this is kind of a far out idea but it kind of looks to me like a Phi Mu Delta badge converted into a Phi Mu Alpha one. Like they took out the middle stone and redid the enamel (it kind of looks to me, when you look close, that there is a small indent in the middle of the Sinfonia 'S' like where a jewel would be). No idea why they'd do all that and leave the delta intact, unless they tried to change it and it didn't go so well (i.e. they meant to add the little legs to make the delta into an 'A' and it failed).

Other idea was that maybe it was a brother of Phi Mu Alpha and Phi Mu Delta and he wanted to combine the two badges to represent both of his organizations. No idea if that would even be okay with either organization, but it does make for quite a unique piece.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 01-24-2012, 05:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by psusue View Post
Maybe this is kind of a far out idea but it kind of looks to me like a Phi Mu Delta badge converted into a Phi Mu Alpha one. Like they took out the middle stone and redid the enamel (it kind of looks to me, when you look close, that there is a small indent in the middle of the Sinfonia 'S' like where a jewel would be). No idea why they'd do all that and leave the delta intact, unless they tried to change it and it didn't go so well (i.e. they meant to add the little legs to make the delta into an 'A' and it failed).

Other idea was that maybe it was a brother of Phi Mu Alpha and Phi Mu Delta and he wanted to combine the two badges to represent both of his organizations. No idea if that would even be okay with either organization, but it does make for quite a unique piece.
That's an interesting thought, but the other letters look so different between the two badges. I like the idea that the member would be a member of both and include the delta on his PMA badge to recognize his PMD membership...BUT then again, I'm not a member of PMA so I can't be offended if that could.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 01-24-2012, 06:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by psusue View Post
interesting thought, but I kind of doubt it. I think there are some size differences, and you'd have to redo the whole outer triangle as well. Our badge has 18 stones, while the Phi Mu Delta badge has 15, so you can't just replace some pearls with garnets. And I agree with AOII Angel -- the Phi and the Mu Look different as well. Ours have no serifs.

Quote:
That would not be okay with us. At all. As in

But again, it doesn't seem likely. Based on the inscription, this belonged to someone at the University of Washington. Phi Mu Delta has never had a chapter there -- they've only had a few western chapters period.

All that said, it's about as reasonable as any explanation I've been able to come up with.
Old 01-24-2012, 08:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticCat View Post
interesting thought, but I kind of doubt it. I think there are some size differences, and you'd have to redo the whole outer triangle as well. Our badge has 18 stones, while the Phi Mu Delta badge has 15, so you can't just replace some pearls with garnets. And I agree with AOII Angel -- the Phi and the Mu Look different as well. Ours have no serifs.

That would not be okay with us. At all. As in

But again, it doesn't seem likely. Based on the inscription, this belonged to someone at the University of Washington. Phi Mu Delta has never had a chapter there -- they've only had a few western chapters period.

All that said, it's about as reasonable as any explanation I've been able to come up with.
I figured as much. LOL

AOII

Old 01-24-2012, 11:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticCat View Post
Maybe let Lyrecrest know?
Old 01-25-2012, 08:35 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psi U MC Vito View Post
Maybe let Lyrecrest know?
Yes, I probably should.
Old 01-26-2012, 08:27 PM
GreekChat Member

It being the depression/early war time the jeweller used an existing PMD badge and refashioned it PMA?
Old 01-26-2012, 11:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Well, I should remember that when in doubt, Occam's Razor is my friend. It seems the badge did indeed belong to a Sigma chapter (University of Washington) initiate from the 30s. It is a Sinfonian badge. Apparently the enamel was damaged at some point and the jeweler who repaired it did so incorrectly, putting a Delta on it instead of an Alpha. That also explains the difference in the gold line. As a result a seller on That Site now has a "mystery badge" to offer.

So that's it. "Mystery badge" solved.
Old 01-31-2012, 04:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Gamma Phi Beta posted this pic on our Facebook page. It's a badge of an International Councilwoman - so pretty! International President's badge is like this, only instead of pearls her badge is encrusted in diamonds!

Old 01-31-2012, 04:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to NutBrnHair
Lovely!

Love that, PeppyGPB
Old 01-31-2012, 05:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeppyGPhiB View Post
Gamma Phi Beta posted this pic on our Facebook page. It's a badge of an International Councilwoman - so pretty! International President's badge is like this, only instead of pearls her badge is encrusted in diamonds!

LOVE. LOVE. LOVE. LABOR. LEARNING & LOYALTY.

True Lives to Live From Day to Day

Old 01-31-2012, 05:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeppyGPhiB View Post

I have picture of one of these that I took at our convention since we are honored to have one of your sisters and former council members as our AOII Foundation Director. It is amazing in person!

AOII

Old 01-31-2012, 07:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Theta Phi Alpha Badge Dump

Some of these you've seen before, some should be new.

Standard badge

New version of the standard badge to commemorate the centennial

Chapter president's badge

My artistic rendering of the Grand Council badge--worn with a guard corresponding to the office held

My artistic rendering of the National President's badge. Please don't be jealous of my MS Paint skills.

The Senior Service Award. Each year, the advisory board of each chapter is allowed to nominate up to two graduating seniors to receive this award. Only one woman per chapter may win each year. It's highly competitive. We just reached our 1,000 Senior Service Award in 2011.

The Guard of Honor is the highest award Theta Phi Alpha can bestow upon a member. They are awarded during Conventions (every other year) and are numbered on the back. Coming into the 49th Convention, we have awarded 77 Guards of Honor.
Old 01-31-2012, 09:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteRose1912 View Post

Standard badge

My artistic rendering of the Grand Council badge--worn with a guard corresponding to the office held

My artistic rendering of the National President's badge. Please don't be jealous of my MS Paint skills.

The Senior Service Award. Each year, the advisory board of each chapter is allowed to nominate up to two graduating seniors to receive this award. Only one woman per chapter may win each year. It's highly competitive. We just reached our 1,000 Senior Service Award in 2011.

The Guard of Honor is the highest award Theta Phi Alpha can bestow upon a member. They are awarded during Conventions (every other year) and are numbered on the back. Coming into the 49th Convention, we have awarded 77 Guards of Honor.
Thank you SOOOOO much for posting all of this!! I have always wondered what all of these badges looked like. I also enjoy the dangles. I bet they are quite coveted.

AOII

Old 02-01-2012, 05:56 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to sigmagirl2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteRose1912 View Post

Standard badge

These are great. I know there are Theta Phi Alpha chapters near me, and have a friend from high school involved, but I rarely see anything near me with your letters. I LOVE the badges. I'm also a more than a little jealous of your editing skills. (no sarcasm meant at all).

Beautiful!

::: waiting for someone to post in Irishpipes 2013-2014 chapter listing thread that quota was .25 ::: - ASTalumna06