GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,434
1 members and 1,433 guests
No Members online

Old 02-14-2012, 07:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Colorado State U: Kappa Kappa Gamma Suspended (Hazing Alleged)

Colorado State U: Kappa Kappa Gamma on Probation (Hazing Alleged)

See:

http://www.collegian.com/index.php/a...ded_for_hazing

The article, if I'm reading it right, indicates that during the probation period the chapter will have some limitations regarding recruitment.

Last edited by exlurker; 02-14-2012 at 07:59 PM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 02-14-2012, 08:49 PM
GreekChat Member

I am impressed that the chapter was correctly referred to as a fraternity.

Wonder if the writer is Greek?
Old 02-15-2012, 11:53 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGDLynn View Post
I am impressed that the chapter was correctly referred to as a fraternity.

Wonder if the writer is Greek?
If the writer is indeed Greek, then shame on her for the connotations in the article that alcohol consumption is a part of Kappa's initiation. I am in no way defending what happened in this situation, but an unaware reader would think that Kappa initiation includes forced beer bongs and being left in the hands of predatory fraternity men. (Hope that I'm not giving anything away by saying that it doesn't.)

Everyone knows that we wear our catsuits and sequined tights for initiation. Those don't stand up to prolonged bouts of drinking.
Old 02-15-2012, 01:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amIblue? View Post
If the writer is indeed Greek, then shame on her for the connotations in the article that alcohol consumption is a part of Kappa's initiation. I am in no way defending what happened in this situation, but an unaware reader would think that Kappa initiation includes forced beer bongs and being left in the hands of predatory fraternity men. (Hope that I'm not giving anything away by saying that it doesn't.)

Everyone knows that we wear our catsuits and sequined tights for initiation. Those don't stand up to prolonged bouts of drinking.
Yeah, it seems like all hazing allegation articles claim that the hazing was part of an "initiation ritual." I suspect that this writer is NOT a Greek but actually read a press release that mentioned that Kappa is a fraternity so used that word. People outside the Greek Life world don't know what this "ritual" we speak of entails, so hazing seems to fit the bill. I smirked when I read that part, too. If the chapter was forcing girls to drink during your initiation ritual, the chapter has a lot more problems than just hazing.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 02-15-2012, 01:51 PM
GreekChat Member

IDK. I read the article and it seems more to that there was like a party after initiation and one of the initiates? got drunk. I don't see anything that straight out says hazing.
Old 02-15-2012, 02:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psi U MC Vito View Post
IDK. I read the article and it seems more to that there was like a party after initiation and one of the initiates? got drunk. I don't see anything that straight out says hazing.
Because I know what initiation entails, I inferred that it was an after party. I'm sure you picked up on the same things. However, I do not believe that someone unfamiliar with how things work in GLOs would make the same connections.

Here's what I have a problem with:

Quote:
the Nov. 5 incident was reported after a new member of the sorority was encouraged to drink by a group of older members at an initiation event,
Quote:
“As she was being cared for, information came out about what happened during initiation, including activities that involved alcohol.”

Last edited by amIblue?; 02-15-2012 at 02:39 PM.
Old 02-15-2012, 04:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
the university decided to forbid the sorority from hosting certain social events and recruiting new members until spring 2013.
Can the university really do that, keep them from recruiting?
Old 02-15-2012, 05:05 PM
GreekChat Member

I was wondering the same thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mevara View Post
Can the university really do that, keep them from recruiting?

I get the social probation thing but not letting them recruit until spring of 2013? That is 2 formal recruitments, right? Why was I thinking that they couldn't restrict that?
Old 02-15-2012, 05:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AXOrushadvisor View Post
I get the social probation thing but not letting them recruit until spring of 2013? That is 2 formal recruitments, right? Why was I thinking that they couldn't restrict that?
I remember something somewhere about that not being a punishment. Maybe it is in the MOI and only applies to chapters/panhellenic. If that is right about not being able to participate in 2 formal recruitments then that will put them in a tough situation.
Old 02-15-2012, 05:25 PM
GreekChat Member

It is a state school, so I would think that would not be allowed, unless it was the local PHC restricting, and I don't know enough about NPC-world to know if they can do that.
Old 02-15-2012, 05:28 PM
GreekChat Member

NPC can't make that rule for the chapter, but if the school administration says you can't recruit or you're kicked off campus, I'm sure Kappa is happy to take the restriction.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 02-15-2012, 05:39 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm confused... Wouldn't that only be one formal recruitment?
Old 02-15-2012, 05:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOII Angel View Post
NPC can't make that rule for the chapter, but if the school administration says you can't recruit or you're kicked off campus, I'm sure Kappa is happy to take the restriction.
Not letting the chapter recruit for 2 years is almost the same thing as kicking them off. Actually I think prohibiting them recruiting is worse than kicking them off. When they are able to start recruiting they are going to be at a severe disadvantage.
Old 02-15-2012, 05:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZTAOnlytheBest View Post
I think your right, I just glossed over the 'spring' part of the ban and just read 2013. So they would only miss formal in 2012.
Old 02-15-2012, 05:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AXOrushadvisor View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZTAOnlytheBest View Post
I'm confused also or am I reading it wrong?

Aren't they only being excluded from formal recruitment Fall 2012?