GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Social

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 892
1 members and 891 guests
Xidelt

Old 09-11-2019, 06:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Oddly enough High Functioning Autistics might have more of an issue since it isn't "obvious".

I'm someone who is on the edge of Autism , and I joined Alpha Phi Omega (a service fraternity) and frankly I'm pretty sure some of the brothers would have blackballed me if a unanimous vote was necessary. I ended up serving as Parlimentarian for two semesters though. It may help that I am a very outgoing person normally and a very quiet drunk. (Note this was back in the mid 1980s, things were different then).

The other issue that you mentioned is "Graduating next year". Some fraternities may be less willing to take Juniors. It will depend on many factors.
Old 09-11-2019, 11:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by naraht View Post
Oddly enough High Functioning Autistics might have more of an issue since it isn't "obvious".

I'm someone who is on the edge of Autism , and I joined Alpha Phi Omega (a service fraternity) and frankly I'm pretty sure some of the brothers would have blackballed me if a unanimous vote was necessary. I ended up serving as Parlimentarian for two semesters though. It may help that I am a very outgoing person normally and a very quiet drunk. (Note this was back in the mid 1980s, things were different then).

The other issue that you mentioned is "Graduating next year". Some fraternities may be less willing to take Juniors. It will depend on many factors.
ugh. this bothers me!! I really wish greek life would truly become more inclusive and understanding -- especially when it comes to Aspergers and Autism. I know there are different "levels" of autism, but it seems like there has to be SOME way that greek HQ's could train their members how to interact and help these individuals thrive especially if the recruit was upfront about it during rush. I by no means think or feel that adults on the spectrum should be discouraged from joining Greek life, or purposely not given a bid due to being autistic (or having Aspergers either). Some of the frats I know of (not the one i mentioned earlier in a positive light) have really missed out on some great people that would have gone the extra mile for their org, just because they defined the person and their ability off of their "disability" if you will (even though I would not consider it a disability at all I am just struggling to find the right word. So, forgive me if that comes off as incorrect-- I hope my point still came across effectively).
Old 09-12-2019, 08:43 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anongreek View Post
ugh. this bothers me!! I really wish greek life would truly become more inclusive and understanding -- especially when it comes to Aspergers and Autism. I know there are different "levels" of autism, but it seems like there has to be SOME way that greek HQ's could train their members how to interact and help these individuals thrive especially if the recruit was upfront about it during rush. I by no means think or feel that adults on the spectrum should be discouraged from joining Greek life, or purposely not given a bid due to being autistic (or having Aspergers either). Some of the frats I know of (not the one i mentioned earlier in a positive light) have really missed out on some great people that would have gone the extra mile for their org, just because they defined the person and their ability off of their "disability" if you will (even though I would not consider it a disability at all I am just struggling to find the right word. So, forgive me if that comes off as incorrect-- I hope my point still came across effectively).
A few comments.

There are members on this board that consider "frats" close to if not a trigger.

Remember that for these fraternities, the qualifier is "Social". And as such, ability to function in social situations can be a factor and *that* feeds into the advantages of being Neurotypical.
Old 09-12-2019, 09:15 AM
GreekChat Member

Smile

I definitely understand! I have just seen what it can do under good circumstances, and I wish and hope others have the same chance. The man I knew grew so much from his experience. I just hope others out there get to experience it and have the same stories! It's not all about quotas, it's also about changing lives.
Old 10-15-2019, 03:32 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by anongreek View Post
but it seems like there has to be SOME way that greek HQ's could train their members how to interact and help these individuals thrive
Let me get this right--you think that FSL in general should mandate ASD education? Why not the same for depression? Why not the same for identifying schizophrenic tendencies? Why not train everyone as a drug recognition expert?

Reading this thread, I commend the OP for the courage to try. It doesn't sound like that group would be a good fit for you. Perhaps he'd thrive at a smaller house. I know my fraternity chapter has recruited seniors because we knew what amazing alums they'd make. FSL membership doesn't have to be 4 and done. There are plenty of post-graduate opportunities.

If OP is not done with Greek Life, he might consult with the campus FSL advisor to see what kinds of opportunities are. Some groups may be in a continuous recruiting cycle and open to his joining right now.

There are also other groups likely on campus which you won't have to survive a membership vote to join like Circle K International and others.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma