GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,445
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Avalanchejqr
» Online Users: 2,040
1 members and 2,039 guests
fmanning

Old 09-09-2020, 02:06 PM
GreekChat Member

MRABA Appeals?

I got so screwed over during rush this year. I rushed as a sophomore with so many friends in one house that I wanted to be in so badly. I got to pref round and my best friends have told me that everyone ranked me very high and they basically thought it was a guarantee I would end up there. Somehow, I ended up in my second choice. I talked to a panhel exec and she said that sometimes even if I want a chapter and they want me, I could end up in my second choice if they have me higher on their bid list. I really feel like I am meant to be in that other chapter and I am so upset because they are giving out COBs but I can't take one because of the MRABA. I am bound to the other sorority and can't rush for a year. I know this sounds crazy but has anyone ever heard about appealing the mraba? I think you can if a rule has been violated. I honestly feel like I was bid promised but by starting an appeal I would be accusing the chapter I wanted to join. I know everyone is telling me to just be happy about my second choice but honestly this system is so corrupt and I'm sick of just accepting that "that's just how it works". If I wanted my first choice and they wanted me I should have gotten them, simple as that.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-09-2020, 03:27 PM
Super Moderator

I have never heard of an appeal. If they allowed them, PH would be snowed under and it might come out that someone wasn't really on the first bid list (which would interfere with membership selection) and can you imagine the destruction of friendships?
Old 09-09-2020, 03:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Here you go, starting on page 128:

https://www.npcwomen.org/wp-content/...nformation.pdf

As described in the document, it is probable that your first choice group matched to quota before they got to your name on the ranked list, but they are still below total chapter size, and that's why they're participating in COB. I think that's especially true this year, when members may have not returned and more chapters are below total.

It's all computer-based, so it's not really "corrupt" -- it's just a computer program. If you feel this strongly, feel free to pursue the appeal process described in the linked NPC document, or decline the invitation to join the sorority who graciously offered you membership.
Old 09-09-2020, 03:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Maybe they did rank you very high - but ranked others really high and you just didn't make the first list. You don't say what quota was nor how many went thru at your school, but the numbers don't lie. Obviously X number of women were ranked higher than you were. So which one of those should they toss out so you can have her place????? Because that's what you - in essence - are saying....speaking about ruining friendships!
Old 09-09-2020, 03:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainmama View Post
I got so screwed over during rush this year. I rushed as a sophomore with so many friends in one house that I wanted to be in so badly. I got to pref round and my best friends have told me that everyone ranked me very high and they basically thought it was a guarantee I would end up there.
How many times have I have heard that? Lots. Your friends may have told you the truth but I doubt they knew exactly how every single member would vote. Or their sisters may have said "yes we love her" to make them your friends feel better. There is never a guarantee when you go through rush - that's the risk you take. I'm sorry but as others here have said, you just didn't likely land high enough on the bid list. Take the bid you were offered and go be the sister that chapter saw in you.

Last edited by NYCMS; 09-09-2020 at 06:02 PM.
Old 09-09-2020, 05:33 PM
GreekChat Member

If a chapter uses one of the ranking apps like Select a Sis, GPA can be figured into the ranking. It is very possible that your friends ranked you highly and the other women did, as well. But with the GPA factor, it could have pushed other PNMs slightly ahead of you. Just a thought.
Old 09-09-2020, 05:40 PM

Umm...

http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...d.php?t=246475
Old 09-09-2020, 05:50 PM
Super Moderator

The plot thickens.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 09-09-2020, 05:53 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
I got so screwed over during rush this year. I rushed as a sophomore with so many friends in one house that I wanted to be in so badly. I got to pref round and my best friends have told me that everyone ranked me very high and they basically thought it was a guarantee I would end up there. Somehow, I ended up in my second choice. I talked to a panhel exec and she said that sometimes even if I want a chapter and they want me, I could end up in my second choice if they have me higher on their bid list. I really feel like I am meant to be in that other chapter and I am so upset because they are giving out COBs but I can't take one because of the MRABA. I am bound to the other sorority and can't rush for a year. I know this sounds crazy but has anyone ever heard about appealing the mraba? I think you can if a rule has been violated. I honestly feel like I was bid promised but by starting an appeal I would be accusing the chapter I wanted to join. I know everyone is telling me to just be happy about my second choice but honestly this system is so corrupt and I'm sick of just accepting that "that's just how it works". If I wanted my first choice and they wanted me I should have gotten them, simple as that.
I am sorry that your first choice didn't have you high enough on their list for you to receive a bid from them. It doesn't matter where your 2nd choice house had you. You could be #1 on their list-if your first choice had you anywhere on their list that your name appeared before they pledged quota, you would have gotten a bid to your first choice. 2nd choice sororities do NOT prevent you from receiving a bid to your desired house.

Good sleuthing 33.

Last edited by FSUZeta; 09-09-2020 at 06:00 PM.
Old 09-09-2020, 07:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Here are the 2 valid reasons for appealing and being allowed to rush again prior to the next formal recruitment:

Exceptions to an individual’s ineligibility to be pledged may be granted by the NPC Board of Directors in the following cases:

• Documented illegal conduct by the chapter offering the bid; or
• Documented violations of Panhellenic membership recruitment policies

So... which rule did the chapter you pledged break?

And of course, should you take this route, you will need to resign your pledgeship before you have any decision. I do strongly advise you to drop your pledgeship to your current sorority NOW. Please. You and they will be so much better off.
Old 09-09-2020, 07:36 PM
GreekChat Member

You rushed for the 2nd time as a sophomore, after dropping out of rush last year because you didn't like your options. That is enough for a PNM to end up with no bid at all the 2nd time around. You were lucky to receive a bid. Now I think you should go resign.
Old 09-09-2020, 09:38 PM
GreekChat Member

thanks, 33, for linking to mountainmama's recruitment from 2019.

So here's the deal, OP: you have had two bites at the apple, and you were offered a bid this year. That's incredible (at least to me it is), considering what your experience was last year. You either grow up, graciously become a member of the sorority that extended you a bid, and make the best of it. Or you decline your bid/resign, and accept that the sorority ship most definitely has sailed away and you're not on it. Because I guarantee with high confidence that you will not get a third bite. If I'm wrong I'm sure you'll come back and tell me next year. And there is nothing, I repeat nothing, for you to appeal. The system worked just fine.

As many of my Panhellenic sisters have stated, you weren't high enough on your "preferred chapter's" bid list to be extended a bid. Period. Total is set after recruitment ends, hence the chapter may have had spots to fill for many reasons. Okay I'm being redundant. Making sure to get it through your head.

The choice is yours.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 09-09-2020, 09:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I got so screwed over during rush this year. If I wanted my first choice and they wanted me I should have gotten them, simple as that.
I sense a little foot stomping here.
Old 09-10-2020, 03:08 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I got so screwed over during rush this year. I rushed as a sophomore with so many friends in one house that I wanted to be in so badly. I got to pref round and my best friends have told me that everyone ranked me very high and they basically thought it was a guarantee I would end up there.
Your friends could have been 100% honest and you still could have been on the 2nd Bid List and they were full by the time they got to you.
-or-
What would you say to a friend who was in your position? Even if you knew her chances were so-so, would you have the heart to tell her it wasn’t going to happen? Or, after the fact would you tell her that you heard xy and z were reasons some didn’t want her? Or would you act surprised and shocked? (Which they may be! But a handful of friends don’t make out the bid list.)

If you want to be Greek, this is your chance. But don’t waste the time of the chapter that gave you a bid if you aren’t willing to embrace them and let this go.
Old 09-10-2020, 12:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I know everyone is telling me to just be happy about my second choice but honestly this system is so corrupt and I'm sick of just accepting that "that's just how it works". If I wanted my first choice and they wanted me I should have gotten them, simple as that.
I re-read your post and want to add this:

If you continue this attitude, boy will you have a tough life. That job you thought was perfect and you were assured they loved you? Someone else got it. More experienced, less experienced, the CEO's daughter went to college with the gal who got the job, you name it. Life isn't fair and the sooner you get that, the easier your life will be.

I love the saying that "when you argue with reality, you lose - but only 100% of the time." Right now you're losing all around.

If you want to be Greek - truly - you'll stop arguing and start being the sister this chapter wants.