GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Delta > Delta Sigma Theta

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 321,984
Threads: 115,245
Welcome to our newest member, MarjorieTi
» Online Users: 255
0 members and 255 guests
No Members online

Old 09-05-2003, 09:01 PM
GreekChat Member

SoulStepping by Dr. Elizabeth C. Fine

I came across this book today on Stepshow.com

Published in 2.03

Editorial Reviews
Book Description
Stepping is a complex performance that melds folk traditions with popular culture and involves synchronized percussive movement, singing, speaking, chanting, and drama. Developed by African American fraternities and sororities, it is now practiced worldwide. Soulstepping is the first book to document the history of stepping, its roots in African and African American culture, and its transformation by churches, schools, and social groups into a powerful tool for instilling group identity and community involvement. Elizabeth C. Fine's vibrant portrayal of the cultural politics of stepping covers the spread to new venues and participants, including Latino and Asian American Greek-letter organizations. She draws on interviews with individuals on college campuses and steppers and stepping coaches from high schools, community groups, churches, and dance organizations as she traces the widespread growth of stepping and uncovers the controversies surrounding it.
Old 09-08-2003, 09:47 PM
GreekChat Member

This is on my amazon.com wishlist.....it's not a priority, but I do plan on getting it.

Dr. Fine actually had a conference on stepping at Virginia Tech a few years ago, but I didn't get to attend.
Old 09-08-2003, 09:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Here in the Windy City trying to look cute with my hair blown all over my head.
Send a message via Yahoo to UpPinkies
Re: SoulStepping by Dr. Elizabeth C. Fine

Quote:
Originally posted by CrimsonTide4
I came across this book today on Stepshow.com

Published in 2.03

Editorial Reviews
Book Description
Stepping is a complex performance that melds folk traditions with popular culture and involves synchronized percussive movement, singing, speaking, chanting, and drama. Developed by African American fraternities and sororities, it is now practiced worldwide. Soulstepping is the first book to document the history of stepping, its roots in African and African American culture, and its transformation by churches, schools, and social groups into a powerful tool for instilling group identity and community involvement. Elizabeth C. Fine's vibrant portrayal of the cultural politics of stepping covers the spread to new venues and participants, including Latino and Asian American Greek-letter organizations. She draws on interviews with individuals on college campuses and steppers and stepping coaches from high schools, community groups, churches, and dance organizations as she traces the widespread growth of stepping and uncovers the controversies surrounding it.
I read about this book in American Legacy magazine and I am going to purchase it soon.

*** begining of side note*** Look at those pretty AKA's on the cover ***end of side note***:
Old 09-09-2003, 05:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to gamma_girl52 Send a message via Yahoo to gamma_girl52
This really looks interesting. I'd like to read it. I agree that stepping has branched out to other orgs like mine (we're service) and I'd like to hear an opinion about it.

Speaking of books, I cannot find that great book thread that was going on over here a while back...I wanted to get some titles. I promise you that I did a search...Can somebody please help me find that?

*ETA: Never mind! Found all those book threads!*

"Life is filled with many things to Befriend, Love, and Serve..."

Last edited by gamma_girl52; 09-09-2003 at 05:37 PM.
Old 01-01-2004, 01:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to ykimber
This book is on sale on amazon for $17.47. Check it out http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...glance&s=books