GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,040
Threads: 115,496
Welcome to our newest member, ausinpetrov7195
» Online Users: 1,636
3 members and 1,633 guests
MSKKG, Tridentia

Old 08-15-2002, 10:45 AM
GreekChat Member

Who's Out? Interesting site about gay members of greek orgs

Found this site thanks to another sister, and wanted to see what people's thoughts would be on it.

Who's Out? Gay men and women who are greek

Apparantly it's a site that gay men and women who are greek can add their names and they're grouped by sorority or fraternity. The sororities only have 74 women listed, but the fraternities have 523 listings.

Thought it was interesting... what are your thoughts?
Old 08-15-2002, 11:06 AM
GreekChat Member

What's to stop me from pretending to be someone else and listing their info (except use my contact info for verification)? Not that there is anything wrong with being gay, but many people who aren't would be upset as being labeled as such.
Old 08-15-2002, 11:23 AM
GreekChat Member

Speaking of misrepresentation, AGD doesn't have a chapter at Hamline University (it sounded unfamiliar, so I looked it up). So there's your first case right there.

Anyway, what's the point of even having a website like this? If I was gay, I would be afraid to post my information on the internet like that because you never know what kind of psychos would come after you.
Old 08-15-2002, 11:24 AM
GreekChat Member

That was interesting. I mean, my question is why is it so important to let people know, Hey, I'm gay? I mean, I don't walk around saying, hey, I'm straight! I wonder, do you all think that some orgs that have a large number of gay/lesbian/bi members might be looked at as the "Gay GLO"? I'm just wondering (I wouldn't, I don't really care.)
Old 08-15-2002, 11:39 AM
GreekChat Member

If they can find a way to make the site more secure and reliable (and that can be done), I think that this is a fabulous idea.

First of all, the thousands of closeted Greeks out there can look at this site and maybe have a little less fear about coming out. They can say to themselves, hey, I'm not alone...other people have gone through what I'm going through, and they're OK...maybe I should come out, too. They can even get in touch with the gay Greeks who have provided e-mail addresses and possibly find sympathy, support, and advice that they couldn't get anywhere else.

Second, and just as important, people who think, "Gay members? Not in my GLO!" will see this site and realize that there are more closeted people out there than they ever imagined. They may think they have no gay friends, but in fact they have gay brothers or sisters. This may help them see gay people as people instead of as outsiders, and they may be more supportive when someone they know personally comes out.

Finally, we walk around saying we're straight constantly. We wear wedding rings, we walk around holding hands with our dates, we choose clothes that we think suggest our straightness, etc. It doesn't take any bravery to announce that we're straight. Nobody gets fired from a job, or rejected by their parents, or beaten up and hung on a fence to die because they are straight. Every day in America is straight pride day. So yes, if the people who put their names on this site are real, they are putting themselves at risk. They are courageously facing hatred in order to make the Greek world better for other gay members. I think they deserve our support and admiration.

Ivy
Old 08-15-2002, 12:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DWAlphaGam (in part)
Speaking of misrepresentation, AGD doesn't have a chapter at Hamline University (it sounded unfamiliar, so I looked it up). So there's your first case right there.
Has there ever been one there? It looks like the intro page invites collegiates and alums to add their names, so perhaps she is an alum.
Old 08-15-2002, 12:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Based on FAU's Greek Life page they don't have a Lamda Theta Alpha unless it is a club and not a sorority.
Old 08-15-2002, 12:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by MysticCat81

Has there ever been one there? It looks like the intro page invites collegiates and alums to add their names, so perhaps she is an alum.
No chapter has ever existed at Hamline (or else I wouldn't have said anything). I checked the university's website and they have a chapter of Alpha Gamma Epsilon, so the woman must have made a mistake when she posted.

List of Alpha Gamma Delta Chapters

List of Hamline University student organizations

Please note---I'm not upset that AGD is listed there, I just wanted to point out that a mistake was made so it must be easy to go on and list someone else's info, as FuzzieAlum pointed out. Please don't flame me for saying something; I support all of my sisters no matter what their lifestyle may be!
Old 08-15-2002, 12:34 PM
GreekChat Member

I think that's very interesting that there's a lot of false info.... wonder how much else is wrong?
Old 08-15-2002, 12:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DWAlphaGam
Anyway, what's the point of even having a website like this? If I was gay, I would be afraid to post my information on the internet like that because you never know what kind of psychos would come after you.
Dude, I'm straight and I still wouldn't post my info on the web! There are a lot of messed up people out there!
Old 08-15-2002, 12:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kddani
I think that's very interesting that there's a lot of false info.... wonder how much else is wrong?
Me too. (Thanks for the info, DWAlphaGam.) I might have to look at the Sinfonia chapters a little more closely.
Old 08-15-2002, 02:24 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm looking for a word other than stupid to describe the site...
I just think that it's unsafe for these woman and men to post their full names, universities they went to, and then have a link to email them. Are they wanting gay bashers to threaten/stalk them? I certainly hope the people who created that site have some action plan if something terrible goes wrong.

Hootie
Old 08-15-2002, 02:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to zchi2
Quote:
Originally posted by UF56
Based on FAU's Greek Life page they don't have a Lamda Theta Alpha unless it is a club and not a sorority.

Lambda Theta Alpha is a latina sorority and it isn't associated with panhel and the chapter is on their national website. But no matter if the information on that website is right or wrong, we all know that in every chapter, of every sorority and fraternity, there are gay people there. So it would really be a waste of time to find out if that information on that site is accurate.
Old 08-15-2002, 02:50 PM
GreekChat Member

ehhh...

I think to make a page like that is kind of wierd. But, hey, if they are happy and proud to be gay then more power to them. But honestly, I wouldn't make it so public.

Ohh well, it's really their choice. I don't have much of an opinion about what they do. As long as I don't see my name on that list, I'm all for it! haha
Old 08-15-2002, 02:51 PM
GreekChat Member

I don't know about every chapter of every fraternity and sorority.... that's a bit of an exageration.