GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,689
Threads: 115,521
Welcome to our newest member, juliashulez2596
» Online Users: 787
0 members and 787 guests
No Members online

Old 11-30-2004, 09:53 AM
GreekChat Member

Re: Re: lsu chapters

Quote:
Originally posted by NutBrnHair
I hope you'll consider some "Alpha" groups -- with a quota the size of 80 -- it would be a good thing.
Alpha Omicron Pi & Alpha Delta Pi were at LSU for quite some time. My godmother was an ADP at LSU. I am not sure of what other "Alpha" sororities they use to have. I know it has been discussed before here on Greek Chat about the "Alpha" sororities that left LSU.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 11-30-2004, 10:45 AM
GreekChat Member

Alpha Phi also has a closed chapter at LSU.
Old 11-30-2004, 11:01 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to AZ-AlphaXi
Alpha Xi Delta's Beta Iota chapter was the last of the "alpha"s to close at LSU. It went dormant in 1988.

Last edited by AZ-AlphaXi; 11-30-2004 at 06:56 PM.
Old 11-30-2004, 04:06 PM
GreekChat Member

yes, LSU does need another chapter. with close 1000 girls going through formal recruitment and only 10 sororities on campus, we are in desperate need for one or two more houses. unfortunatley, LSU's greek system has been slowly getting smaller. fraternities have been getting kicked off lately and sororities have been put on probation. also, lsu's sorority (and some frats) row is on lakefront property which lsu seems to want back for the "master plan/flagship agenda". several of the "alpha"/other greek houses have been turned into university buildings within the past decade or so.

im sure there are plenty of girls who would want to colonize and start a new sorority but just havent gotten around to it!
Old 11-30-2004, 04:13 PM
Unregistered-

Re: Re: lsu chapters

Quote:
Originally posted by NutBrnHair
I hope you'll consider some "Alpha" groups -- with a quota the size of 80 -- it would be a good thing.
Alpha Gamma Delta's Theta Alpha chapter used to be at LSU as well. Don't know when they closed.
Old 11-30-2004, 04:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't there a stigma with previously closed chapters (like at other southern schools) at LSU. What chapters have not previously been at LSU. I pretty sure Sigma Kappa had a chapter their at one time.
Old 11-30-2004, 04:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Sigma Kappa colonized the year that my high school friends went through rush at LSU - 1983, and was fairly strong during the time that they were active. I'm not sure when, but sadly the chapter has since closed.

Kappa Kappa Gamma

Tradition of Leadership

Old 11-30-2004, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by sueali
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't there a stigma with previously closed chapters (like at other southern schools) at LSU. What chapters have not previously been at LSU. I pretty sure Sigma Kappa had a chapter their at one time.
Alpha Sigma Alpha has never been there but seeing as we have twice the Alphas I don't think we will try to "reverse the curse" anytime soon.
Old 11-30-2004, 05:23 PM

Send a message via AIM to shadokat Send a message via Yahoo to shadokat
And how much would it cost an international sorority to buy housing there? From what I had heard, Alpha Chi Omega was going there last year, but then they didn't...or maybe it was Tri Sigma...anyway, I remember that the "housing" that was to be used by that oncoming group was then given to Delta Sigma Theta, and nobody was coming. Does anyone else remember this?

Here is the article from the LSU Reveille

http://www.lsureveille.com/vnews/dis...5?in_archive=1

Quote:
Originally posted by LSUTriDelta4
yes, LSU does need another chapter. with close 1000 girls going through formal recruitment and only 10 sororities on campus, we are in desperate need for one or two more houses. unfortunatley, LSU's greek system has been slowly getting smaller. fraternities have been getting kicked off lately and sororities have been put on probation. also, lsu's sorority (and some frats) row is on lakefront property which lsu seems to want back for the "master plan/flagship agenda". several of the "alpha"/other greek houses have been turned into university buildings within the past decade or so.

im sure there are plenty of girls who would want to colonize and start a new sorority but just havent gotten around to it!
Old 11-30-2004, 06:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Back to the original subject (because I just now found this thread). Does anyone else find it interesting that the first two sororities ever founded (ADPi and Phi Mu) were both founded in the south, and of the original "fraternities" most of those were founded in the south? Maybe it just seems like the sororities are southern sororities because they've been around a long time and are stronger in the south? I dunno, just a theory. And although some sororities may be considered southern sororities, it is (like the Tri-Delt said first) some of these sororities that are even stronger other places. Delta Gamma, for example, is a very Mississippi-based sorority, but has the most chapters in California. And Tri-Delta is strong in South Carolina and other southern states, but as far as I know is very Californian as well.
Old 11-30-2004, 07:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AGDee
Gunne Sax! That's what my Initiation dress was! I think I said in another thread it was a Laura Ashley, but hearing Gunne Sax jogged my memory better! Big white thing, almost needed a hoop.. anyway, that's a hijack of a hijack!
Oh wow, my Initiation dress was a Gunne Sax too! I got mine at Lord & Taylor in Miami a couple months before they went out of business....anyways my dress is http://www.jessicamcclintock.com/web...egory_rn=10017
And yes me & my pledge sisters had a shawl too lol
Old 11-30-2004, 08:52 PM
GreekChat Member

yeah, i do remember the possiblilty tri-sig or a-chi-o coming to LSU in 2002. i was not yet at lsu when it happened, but living in baton rouge, i did hear about it.
Old 11-30-2004, 09:02 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by CarolinaDG
Back to the original subject (because I just now found this thread). Does anyone else find it interesting that the first two sororities ever founded (ADPi and Phi Mu) were both founded in the south, and of the original "fraternities" most of those were founded in the south? Maybe it just seems like the sororities are southern sororities because they've been around a long time and are stronger in the south? I dunno, just a theory. And although some sororities may be considered southern sororities, it is (like the Tri-Delt said first) some of these sororities that are even stronger other places. Delta Gamma, for example, is a very Mississippi-based sorority, but has the most chapters in California. And Tri-Delta is strong in South Carolina and other southern states, but as far as I know is very Californian as well.
I think your theory makes as much sense as any of the others. I also think that the Old South frame of mind makes for a promotion of the Greek System.
Old 12-01-2004, 01:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Peaches-n-Cream
Quote:
Originally posted by alphagamgirlie
Oh wow, my Initiation dress was a Gunne Sax too! I got mine at Lord & Taylor in Miami a couple months before they went out of business....anyways my dress is http://www.jessicamcclintock.com/web...egory_rn=10017
And yes me & my pledge sisters had a shawl too lol
That's a wedding dress. Were you really initiated in that dress? If so, wow!
Old 12-01-2004, 02:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by honeychile
I also think that the Old South frame of mind makes for a promotion of the Greek System.
Ding * Ding * Ding