GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Fraternity Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Fraternity Recruitment Recruitment event ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,731
Threads: 115,525
Welcome to our newest member, bailesqtivanov6
» Online Users: 896
0 members and 896 guests
No Members online

Old 05-17-2007, 08:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by starang21 View Post
actually, it doesn't take much thought because unlike you i don't have to try very hard to come up with snaps at your expense. it's actually quite easy. i don't have to assert any dominance over you, you're a random screen name and an e-loser who matters little in the big scheme of things. thanks for the dissertation, lol

.........I bet you always got picked last on the playground.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 05-17-2007, 08:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by macallan25 View Post
.........I bet you always got picked last on the playground.
LOLOL

you had to think hard about that, didn't you?
Old 05-17-2007, 10:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Earp View Post
Your insinuations are out of order.

So a person of not so called Black pigment is not welcomed to The D-9 Glos?

So, who are you to decide this? You decide for what reason?

People will join GLOs for the fact of what they fell comforable with and who they wish to be with.

So, You feel you can make that decission for them!

SAD!
You are incorrect. People will join only the organization to which they are INVITED through the chapter. PERIOD.

Just because someone WANTS to join or is even QUALIFIED to join does NOT mean they will become a member. Yes, as a member, we CAN make the decision for them.

Again, an individual's vote is PRIVATE and does not have to be justified to anyone, inlcuding the NATIONAL PRESIDENT of said organization.

Last edited by mccoyred; 05-17-2007 at 10:45 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 05-18-2007, 02:09 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
actually, it doesn't take much thought because unlike you i don't have to try very hard to come up with snaps at your expense. it's actually quite easy. i don't have to assert any dominance over you, you're a random screen name and an e-loser who matters little in the big scheme of things. thanks for the dissertation, lol
Easy with the z-snaps there, you're making me dizzy.
Old 05-18-2007, 12:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
LOLOL

you had to think hard about that, didn't you?
I'll take that as a yes.

....that's too bad.
Old 05-18-2007, 05:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
you're a jerk

LOL
So I've heard.
Old 05-18-2007, 08:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by macallan25 View Post
I'll take that as a yes.

....that's too bad.
LOL, sure thing
Old 05-18-2007, 08:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiKA2001 View Post
you're making me dizzy.

so does reading dr. seuss

Old 05-19-2007, 04:41 AM
GreekChat Member

Aiya, this thread has gotten out of hand.

Who cares what race someone is? I've seen people who are not of "X" race care more about causes that help "X" race than poeple of "X" race.

It's about what's in your heart, not whats on your skin. D9 orgs have great missions, and the vision of their Founders, or anyone elses for that matter, was designed for a specific reason. If someone is all about living the 5 Point thrusts (or any org's principles for that matter), isn't that what matters?

After all, if they volunteer their whole life to help education systems that are flawed or grew up advocating for Mental Health improvements (which btw need to be focused on a lot more), that is what is important, right?

I am not trying to say who should or should not be a member of XYZ org. Everyone makes their decisions as to who should be a member for their own personal reasons. However, when we come down to it, our organizations were established to advance certain goals and dreams, and if a person stands for that, and meets the other basic requirements (ie GPA, a student, etc.) that is what should matter...not the color of his/her skin.

I am one of the WASPiest people you will ever meet, yet I am in an Asian American Fraternity and all of my friends are Black/Asian/Latino/a. Just because I was born with White skin doesn't meet I can't strive for things that advance Blacks, Asians, or Latino/as.

If we judge people only on their skin, how are we any better than the KKK or other racist ass groups?
National APIA Panhellenic Association (NAPA) Vice-Chair
Old 05-19-2007, 10:24 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to preciousjeni
Quote:
Originally Posted by L.O.C.K. View Post
Who cares what race someone is?
You mean well, but you don't seem to see that you are in a position in which you can express a sentiment like this. As a white man in the U.S., you are dealt nothing more than cultural slaps on the wrist for the countercultural views you express.

Restricting membership in BGLOs, AGLOs and LGLOs is about more than racial discrimination. I'd be interested in hearing from all the D9 founders regarding how they would perceive the intentions of white members. In this thread, people have suggested that the founders would be honored by the attention of whites. I'm positive the founders would scoff at the presumptuousness of that idea.

Your heart is in the right place, but try to understand the issue from a non-white perspective.

Talented, tested, tenacious, and true...
A woman of diversity through and through.
Old 05-19-2007, 12:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by fantASTic
preciousjeni: You are basically expressing a sentiment which I just don't understand. There is nothing a white person can SAY that's acceptable! If we say, "I don't care WHAT race you are," then we are told that we just say that because we're white. If we ever said, "You're black/asian/latino/etc and it matters to me," you know it would be a huge deal. What would be an acceptable statement?

I simply don't think things will ever be completely equal until whites AND non-whites say, "I don't care what race you are or what race I am." And from the views expressed in this thread, it's not the Caucasians who are having trouble with this statement.

However, I digress.
It's not simply the statement "I don't care what race you are" that's a problem. It's the belief that making the statement makes it a reality. Qualify that statement with further evidence that you realize how this country truly is. To an extent, you're right that things won't "ever be completely equal until whites AND non-whites say, 'I don't care what race you are or what race I am.'" But, how can that ever be a reality while vast disparities persist in areas such as access to health care, mortality, banking/finance/lending rates/homeownership, justice/incarceration, etc?

Caucasians in this thread are having trouble with this statement.

Old 05-19-2007, 01:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by preciousjeni View Post
It's not simply the statement "I don't care what race you are" that's a problem. It's the belief that making the statement makes it a reality. Qualify that statement with further evidence that you realize how this country truly is. To an extent, you're right that things won't "ever be completely equal until whites AND non-whites say, 'I don't care what race you are or what race I am.'" But, how can that ever be a reality while vast disparities persist in areas such as access to health care, mortality, banking/finance/lending rates/homeownership, justice/incarceration, etc?
Bravo!

Add to that how people's perceptions and interactions DO vary by things like race, gender, social class, sexual orientation, and region of the country.

None of us are blank slates who treat everyone the same regardless of who, "what," and how they are.

But power differentials make it such that those with the greatest power's perceptions and interactions have the biggest impact on society.
Old 05-19-2007, 01:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Aiya, this thread has gotten out of hand.
How?

Do you people exist in worlds where people don't talk about this stuff?

NOT talking about this stuff is the problem. That's when it's so invisible that these issues can persist without any challenge to the status quo.

Quote:
Who cares what race someone is? I've seen people who are not of "X" race care more about causes that help "X" race than poeple of "X" race.

What's the significance of this?

And who cares what race someone is? You do. I do. We all do.

People just care in different ways and with different outcomes.

Quote:
It's about what's in your heart, not whats on your skin.
The reality is that it's about what's on your skin and in your heart. Both shape our perceptions and interactions in both positive and negative ways.

The problem with some of you is that you think that the opposite of bigotry is to completely ignore ANY constructed differences across groups of people. That's completely unnecessary because it feeds the system of inequality, not fights it. Not to mention I consider it a comical spectacle.

Quote:
I am one of the WASPiest people you will ever meet, yet I am in an Asian American Fraternity and all of my friends are Black/Asian/Latino/a. Just because I was born with White skin doesn't meet I can't strive for things that advance Blacks, Asians, or Latino/as.
So you do care what race someone is. At least enough to keep a record of what type of org you're in and who your friends are.

Trust that your white skin still gets you places where their Black, Asian, and Latino/a skin doesn't. If you want to speak out against something, speak out against that.

Quote:
If we judge people only on their skin, how are we any better than the KKK or other racist ass groups?

Huh?

You probably also believe that racism is about Archie Bunker-esque people and Klan costumes.

You and your post support why this discussion is needed. Everyday.

Last edited by DSTCHAOS; 05-19-2007 at 01:29 PM.
Old 05-19-2007, 05:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSTCHAOS View Post
The problem with some of you is that you think that the opposite of bigotry is to completely ignore ANY constructed differences across groups of people. That's completely unnecessary because it feeds the system of inequality, not fights it. Not to mention I consider it a comical spectacle.
Chaos - this is what I was trying to get at. You made it much more clear than I did.

Old 05-23-2007, 04:45 PM
GreekChat Member

I think everyone likes to believe that they would accept anyone of any race into their group. The truth of the matter is, you accept anyone of any race who acts like your group into your group. A typical, white bread girl wouldn't join a NPHC group because in the end she'd likely have little in common even if she believed in the goals of the group. The same for the typical NPHC woman. African american women in NPC groups obviously feel comfortable in a white environment....we may all have african american sisters, but they are still a minority. I'm sure white women who grew up with african american friends in african american culture may feel more comfortable in an NPHC sorority. I see nothing wrong with wanting sisters who have your same goals, morals, culture, etc. It's human nature to want to be around those most like you. It doesn't have to mean your racist. That being said, I'd gladly welcome a sister of any race into AOII.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!