GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > News & Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,668
Threads: 115,521
Welcome to our newest member, Carpetkwk
» Online Users: 1,045
1 members and 1,044 guests
Carpetkwk

Old 06-03-2014, 09:35 AM
Super Moderator

They don't know enough about it to be in a position to be critical. I'm sure their son knew the risks when he signed up for this. This says more about the politicians who sought out the parents of a dead soldier to score political points than anything else.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 06-03-2014, 09:43 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanners52674 View Post
We don't leave men behind, we just don't.
Some people are claiming the Obama Administration "jumped the gun" and did not have full clearance for this (some say, uneven) swap.

Are these people arguing the Obama Administration should have waited a bit longer OR not done this at all?

As for the people who are calling Bowe a deserter, these people don't seem to be claiming the U.S. shouldn't have brought him back. They seem more pissed that soldiers died to search for a "deserter" and want a "deserter" brought to justice rather than called a hero.
Old 06-03-2014, 11:53 AM
GreekChat Member

OK, my two cents.

General comment: Let's wait until all the evidence is in and considered before we try and figure this out.

Specific points: We do not leave our people behind. Period.
We do not tolerate desertion in the face of the enemy. Period.

So, was it right to get him back? Of course it was! As to how it played out, let's wait until all the evidence is in.

Was it desertion in the face of the enemy? Or, was it "battle fatigue or shell shock or ptss or what"? Again, Let's wait until all the evidence is in.

Is he a hero? No, a hero does that which is above and beyond the call of duty. He clearly does not fit that definition.

Is he a casualty? In some respects he appears to be, but, let's wait until all the evidence is in.

Peter, LTC, CAV, USAR
Old 06-03-2014, 12:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dekeguy View Post
OK, my two cents.

General comment: Let's wait until all the evidence is in and considered before we try and figure this out.

So, was it right to get him back? Of course it was! As to how it played out, let's wait until all the evidence is in.

Was it desertion in the face of the enemy? Or, was it "battle fatigue or shell shock or ptss or what"? Again, Let's wait until all the evidence is in.

Is he a hero? No, a hero does that which is above and beyond the call of duty. He clearly does not fit that definition.

Is he a casualty? In some respects he appears to be, but, let's wait until all the evidence is in.

Peter, LTC, CAV, USAR
This, every last bit of it.

And of course some Republicans are calling to impeach Obama, which I never understand when they throw that out there. It's like they think if Obama got impeached we'd get a Republican president. It doesn't work that way, we'd get Biden.
Old 06-03-2014, 12:18 PM
Banned

Dekeguy, is there a substantive difference between "desertion in the face of the enemy" and "battle fatigue or shell shock or ptss or what"?
Old 06-03-2014, 12:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhil View Post
Dekeguy. is there a substantive difference between "desertion in the face of the enemy" and "battle fatigue or shell shock or ptss or what"?
Dr. Phil,

Yes, there is a substantive difference. Battle fatigue and its similar descriptive terms are physical and/or psycological conditions which can and often do render a person incapable of rational or even physical action and make it difficult if not impossible for the 'mens rea' to be established.

Desertion in the face of the enemy, like its near twin 'cowardice in the face of the enemy' are arguably the most serious violations of the UCMJ and constitute capital offences. They qualify for execution if the defendant is found guilty.

The difference in its most basic terms is that one will get you medical treatment and the other could get you a blindfold, a cigarette, and ...
Old 06-03-2014, 12:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanners52674 View Post
...they think if Obama got impeached we'd get a Republican president. It doesn't work that way, we'd get Biden.
I smell a new siggy...
Old 06-03-2014, 01:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dekeguy View Post
OK, my two cents.

This. And to your first point—Let's wait until all the evidence is in and considered before we try and figure this out—I'd add that we should understand it may be years or more before we have all of the evidence.
Old 06-03-2014, 01:24 PM
Banned

In the meantime and in between time, continue to share opinions of the information provided.
Old 06-03-2014, 01:43 PM
GreekChat Member

2 things. First impeachment =/= removal from office.

Second, and someone can correct me on this but I don't think military trials are necessarily for public access. So likely we won't ever know how this really washes out, and we certainly won't have day to day updates of any investigation or trial.

My guesses: since there are no political winners here we will stop hearing about it in a very few days.

He will get transported home to the big party and then immediately to Leavenworth for psych eval. Not passing, he will end up in a hospital for several years and then released.

His dad on the other hand might be tried for treason or insurrection or whatever else they can get. And if he is retired military, Allah help him cuz he's screwed. But there was something about that tweet that sounded inauthentic. Maybe sucking up was part of the deal?
Old 06-03-2014, 03:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
In the meantime and in between time, continue to share opinions of the information provided.
I have none to share, beyond those thoughts with which I've already noted agreement.
Old 06-03-2014, 05:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

As for the people who are calling Bowe a deserter, these people don't seem to be claiming the U.S. shouldn't have brought him back. They seem more pissed that soldiers died to search for a "deserter" and want a "deserter" brought to justice rather than called a hero.
This. Having Susan Rice go on the Sunday talk shows and claim he served with honor and distinction. WTF?
Old 06-03-2014, 05:33 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticCat View Post
I have none to share, beyond those thoughts with which I've already noted agreement.
I was making a general statement.
Old 06-05-2014, 06:54 PM
GreekChat Member

http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/bow...trymen-n123846

Quote:
The Taliban found Pfc. Bowe Bergdahl walking alone, acting abnormally and cursing his countrymen before they captured him in Afghanistan in 2009, two men who were Taliban commanders at the time told NBC News on Thursday.

They said that Afghan locals first informed fighters about the soldier, and then the fighters rushed to capture him.

“Our people at the time couldn’t understand his language, but it was after he was shifted to a safe location, he said he wasn’t happy with his countrymen, but he didn’t intend to convert to Islam or join mujahideen (holy warriors),” one of the commanders said.

The commanders said that Taliban officers first thought it was a trick — perhaps an American soldier sent out alone to spy on the enemy.

“As we never saw their soldier patrolling alone … we would ask him how he managed to walk out of his base,” one of the commanders said. “He would tell us that it was personal issue.”

@~/~~~~
Old 06-06-2014, 12:44 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubaiSis View Post
2 things. First impeachment =/= removal from office.

Second, and someone can correct me on this but I don't think military trials are necessarily for public access. So likely we won't ever know how this really washes out, and we certainly won't have day to day updates of any investigation or trial.

My guesses: since there are no political winners here we will stop hearing about it in a very few days.

He will get transported home to the big party and then immediately to Leavenworth for psych eval. Not passing, he will end up in a hospital for several years and then released.

His dad on the other hand might be tried for treason or insurrection or whatever else they can get. And if he is retired military, Allah help him cuz he's screwed. But there was something about that tweet that sounded inauthentic. Maybe sucking up was part of the deal?
What? His dad hasn't done anything rising to the level of treason.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!