GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Academics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,678
Threads: 115,521
Welcome to our newest member, atylermarleyo21
» Online Users: 985
1 members and 984 guests
No Members online

Old 07-17-2001, 02:04 PM

Hey newbie!

Well I just suggest making a list of what u want in a school: small vs. large, rural loc. vs. city, etc. then see what your prospects have to offer u in terms of what u want. my school is a big state school --Northern Illinois U--(not the biggest though) out in the boonies (lol, seriously, we're surrounded by cornfields). I immediately felt at home when i went to visit, although i had to get used to the idea of not having a mall or something. But the people were so warm and friendly, plus they have excellen facilities n faculty as well. Besides, it didnt hurt that i got a tuition scholarship too, the biggest among the ones i got from other schools.

also take advantage of all your no school holidays or weekends to visit different colleges!

good luck!

------------------
"You've made me stronger
By breaking my heart
You've ended my life
And made a better one start
You've taught me everything
From falling in love
To letting go of a lie
Yes you've made me stronger
Baby, by saying goodbye"
--Regine Velasquez
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-20-2001, 03:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up

Thanks Missy and Cami for your advice!!

Missy, I TOTALLY know what you mean! For 9 years (K-8) I went to a small private school which hosted about 60 (give and take) per graduating class! Then I went to a big high school, which houses about 3000 students total. I definitely notice the difference. Though I love the big freedom that I have at my HS, I kinda miss the "care" I felt with my teachers at my old school. So I don't know what I'm gonna do when it comes to college - I want a big enough school where I'll have freedom, but then again, I won't want to go to a school where I'll be lost! So I don't know...all the schools that I'm considering are around 15,000+ students! More like around 18,000. Some though have very little students - around 4000 maybe (U of Rochester). I guess I really do have to visit!!!

Cami, thanks - you have certainly convinced me to visit!!!! Hmm, I just don't know if I'll have the chance to visit East Coast schools though......?? You know what, though, I think I would die if I didn't have access to a mall! I'm a HUGE shopaholic, lol. I'm definitely a city girl. Though I like the suburbs, I think I would feel lost in rural areas, where there isn't a store for miles.

BTW Cami, how's it goin' with your ex and with Nick? Hope everything's better for you... !
Old 07-20-2001, 06:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to amycat412
Quote:
Originally posted by newbie:
Thanks Amy for the advice!!!

BTW, do you know what I would major in at USC if I decided to enroll in the Rossier School of Education? General studies, maybe? It's kinda strange that CA doesn't allow education to become a major!

hey Car-
I'm not sure what you major in if you're an education major--your freshman advisor or the college handbook could tell you. USC's is online at: http://www.usc.edu/dept/publications/cat2000/
Old 07-21-2001, 01:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Newbie:

Seeing as I went through all of this last year my #1 piece of advice to you is: DON'T WORRY!!! Everything will work out just fine in the end!

I am off to Northwestern in the fall and I didn't even visit until I had been accepted and basically made up my mind to go there, so don't worry about not visiting schools first - of course, I would visit SOME schools so you at least are positive that you like them. (btw, NU has an excellent undergraduate school of Education and Social Policy... plus a good greek scene and a prime location just outside Chicago!)

In terms of SAT IIs, definitely take the writing and the math. I have heard literature is a killer, but my friend really enjoyed taking it - to each his own I guess. If you have been taking a language for awhile you may want to consider taking one of those...

And, after you get accepted to schools, visit your top choices again! I LOVED one certain school when I went to their open house in the fall, but in the spring when I did an overnight, I realized that I felt like I wouldn't fit in at all if I went there - of course, I have only been interested in rushing for about the past six months, and the school didn't have the greek system I wanted - but remember that people change, and so its always worth a second look before you send in that tuition deposit.

Good luck with everything!!!
Old 07-21-2001, 04:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by newbie:

BTW, do you know what I would major in at USC if I decided to enroll in the Rossier School of Education? General studies, maybe? It's kinda strange that CA doesn't allow education to become a major!

Newbie-

It's actually a great thing that CA doesn't allow you to major in education. Most states now require that you major in something different and minor in education, even though the minor is as many credits as a major.

I just went through this in my school. I wound up majoring in American Studies and minoring in elementary education. I was annoyed at first that I had to pick a different major. But then I realized---I'd be SO bored with just one major. It's not enough credits to graduate with either. And, if, for whatever reason, you decide not to teach, you STILL have another major to fall back on. Several of my friends from Richmond decided not to teach so they used their psych/anthro/soc/history/etc major instead.

Education isn't something you can learn, it's something you live. Trust me, you'll be glad you have at least a major AND a minor when you graduate with an education degree!
Old 07-21-2001, 07:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Exclamation

I cant believe my college search began more than three years ago! Things have changed so much that I don't even know if my advice holds that much water! I did the IB, and there were 40 of us--essentially the same group since 9th grade. I knew I didn't want to go to a large state school, and I also knew I didn't want to go to a really small school. My major (at that time) was Art History/Architecture, and I felt like it was important to be on the East Coast with that major.

I took the SATs and ACTS twice (middle of junior and beginning of senior year), and took the SAT II's (American History, English Language--Literature/Composition, and one other-like I said, details are fuzzy) in the summer before senior year. I also went to an engineering camp for minority students (it was at a school I was minorly interested in and it wasn't too far from home).

I applied to four schools--Brown (early action--they've since changed it), Emory, the College of William and Mary, and the University of Florida Honors Program (as a safety). With the exception of the University of Florida, each of the schools had less than 10,000 total students, had good graduate programs (in case I wanted to extend my education there), were located near larger cities and had decent public transit systems (I wasn't about bringing a car). You know, people say to apply to as many schools as you want, but I don't really agree with that--for one reason, college applications cost A LOT OF MONEY...for those four alone, it was nearly $200. Plus, different schools require different tests--for the schools I applied to, I didn't even need the SAT II. I took them because our college advisor told me to.

I had visited UF plenty of times, and with the way my senior year went, I didn't visit the schools until I had already been accepted, which worked out, because I could schedule visits around vacations and long weekends. I'm not even sure if campus visits are really that important if there's one school you really really really want to go to (which there was). The problem was, I could see myself at ALL of the schools--and still can, after two years of being at Brown. I eventually factored in things like distance, student-teacher interaction, the residential system, quality of programs, and whether or not I really wanted to get advanced standing (which I didn't want), and I feel like I found the school for me.

As for the essay...I ended up writing about my bulletin board and how it had changed since I put it on my wall freshman year of high school--and how it paralelled changes in my life. I had to write others about my specific program of interest, but I think I ended up writing that specific essay a few days before it was due. As long as you make sure it's heartfelt, entertaining, and well-written, it should be okay. Don't pad your resume with useless activities--offices held or activities you spent at least two years doing are probably the most important.

Do any of the schools you're interested in require alumni/admissions/departmental interviews?

Of course, there are other factors I didn't really concern myself with--distance (I knew that I could get home when I wanted/needed, and my parents could get to RI/VA/GA/Gainesville when they wanted/needed), money (that was a parental concern), and (despite what anyone thinks on this board) name. Not saying those three, especially the first two, are not worth concern. They just weren't my concern. Mine were to find a school I could stand studying and living at for four years, and to finish my senior year of high school.

Another thing...don't let anyone else (unless they're paying) influence your decision or criticize the schools you applied to. I had classmates and teachers telling me how I was going to be "corrupted" at Brown, and how I was going to join a cult or some such @#$!. Yeah, Brown is a progressive school, but I haven't been
"corrupted" any more than my friends who went to Christian schools two hours away. I almost fell for their mess, and I am infinitely grateful that I didn't let the ignorance of others influence one of the biggest decisions of my life.

Enjoy your senior year. I know you and all of your friends will be very busy (especially first semester) with college applications and visits and tests, but definitely do the things you did the years before...I remember going through my senior year like, "this is my last Homecoming", or "this is my last service club tea", and making sure I took pictures of EVERYTHING, and I went out ALL THE TIME. Those are memories you just can't get back.

Okay...I apologize for the fact that my jaunt down memory lane was so long-winded.
Old 07-24-2001, 02:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Talking

Thanks you guys for being so helpful and giving such wonderful advice!!! I feel tons better . Nucutiepie, is the Literature test that bad? . It's the only one I can take, as I'm not going to take the Chem test, and I have only taken my present language for one year (I took French for two; Latin I started in junior year).

Cash78mere, you're right, now that I think of it! I'm actually thinking of double-majoring or at least having a major and a minor - just b/c I'm interested in so many things...Psych, Soc, and Education...

AlphaChiGirl, I love reading long posts!!! Thanks for being so detailed ! BTW, Brown is an excellentschool! About the interviews, I'm not sure - I think for the UC's, interviews aren't necessary (and I don't think they are even given!), and for the private schools - I think they are recommended! I think Santa Clara University requires interviews. Eghh, I hate interviews - they always make me so nervous!!!!
Old 07-24-2001, 04:25 PM
GreekChat Member

newbie, go for interviews even if they're not required, it gives you a good opportunity to highlight your strengths and shows interest in the school. Most schools will only look at an interview if it's favourable. A few tips tho, have some really specific questions to ask, it shows you've done research. Don't jump on answers right away, think about it, or pretend, so it doesn't look like you've got everything scripted out. Lean forward (body posture is very important!) and don't cross your arms. Most of all, relax! most prospies are nervous, they expect that. Just breathe, and keep in mind how much you have to offer them!

nucutiepie - I'm at NU now! That's so awesome you're coming, purple pride!