GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Fraternity Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Fraternity Recruitment Recruitment event ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,729
Threads: 115,525
Welcome to our newest member, zajacksonstolze
» Online Users: 1,042
1 members and 1,041 guests
flamboyanttree

Old 03-27-2008, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macallan25 View Post
Yes.........you do. Maybe not YOU, but generally that is the case.....girls would much rather see a rap group than something the guys would generally want....a jam band, texas music, etc. etc.
Please tell that to all the girlies who feel the need to pump $20 worth of Dave Matthews into the jukebox at the bar. I wouldn't mind if it was the party tunes, but some of it just really is not.
Old 03-27-2008, 10:48 AM
GreekChat Member

Mac, the girls think YOU GUYS are the ones who like it. They want a beat they can dance to. They are all about the dancing. Check their iPods and radio stations in their cars; it might be eye opening.
Back in their apartment CMT is playing on the TV (when they are not watching "Americas Next Top Model" etc.)
At my D's school they have had concerts with "older" country acts (who now charge a lot less b/c they have been replaced by the new younger groups) and they are very popular with the girls.
Old 03-27-2008, 02:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Guys, come on. I know that there are girls that don't listen to rap. I know there are tons that listen to Dave Matthews, and country, and whatever else is out their besides rap.

I mean really........y'all are arguing this for no reason. We've all been doing this for a long time. I think we all have a pretty good idea what the general consensus would want to hear at a huge party.

....and 33girl, I know that there are a huge number of girls that listen to Dave. His booking fee is probably a quarter of a million dollars. It's out of the question.

Also, I think I can speak for all of us guys here. We have tons of different kind of music at parties. Bluegrass, country, jam bands, rock, etc. etc. At things like Row Week and Roundup though, you are generally going to see more of the rap acts. They are simply better draws when their are thousands of people at different houses.

Last edited by macallan25; 03-29-2008 at 01:24 AM.
Old 03-27-2008, 05:07 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm a girl.

I detest rap music.

I hate country.

Nice to meet you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SECdomination View Post
I've yet to meet a girl that hates rap music. I know two or three that hate country.
Old 03-27-2008, 05:17 PM
GreekChat Member

I assume that they pick the entertainment based on a general sense of what people in that area and at the school(s) like to listen to (at least when they're drunk).

I personally love hip hop but dislike rap. However, I like a couple of the rap artists that were listed. I wouldn't go to a concert for them but I'd nod my head to the car radio if they come on.

(Just know that they aren't to be stereotyped and grouped under "gangsta rap" unless most of their lyrics are shoot 'em up bang bang.)
Old 03-27-2008, 10:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSTCHAOS View Post
I assume that they pick the entertainment based on a general sense of what people in that area and at the school(s) like to listen to (at least when they're drunk).

I personally love hip hop but dislike rap. However, I like a couple of the rap artists that were listed. I wouldn't go to a concert for them but I'd nod my head to the car radio if they come on.

(Just know that they aren't to be stereotyped and grouped under "gangsta rap" unless most of their lyrics are shoot 'em up bang bang.)
I am the complete opposite, I can't stand hip hop but I like gangsta rap. I have five CDs in my car, four of them are a mix of 80s, Southern Rock, and Country but the fifth is NWA's greatest hits.
Old 03-28-2008, 10:20 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
and 33girl, I know that there are a huge number of girls that listen to Dave. His booking fee is probably a quarter of a million dollars. It's out of the question
Now, come on - from what I hear, some of y'all's fraternities bring in some major bucks. Can't you spare some for Dave Matthews? THAT would draw a crowd.

Mac, what are some of the bands playing this weekend? Roundup historically has some big name acts (not as big as Dave Matthews unfortunately).
Old 03-28-2008, 10:24 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to breathesgelatin Send a message via AIM to breathesgelatin Send a message via MSN to breathesgelatin Send a message via Yahoo to breathesgelatin
Quote:
Originally Posted by srmom View Post
Now, come on - from what I hear, some of y'all's fraternities bring in some major bucks. Can't you spare some for Dave Matthews? THAT would draw a crowd.

Mac, what are some of the bands playing this weekend? Roundup historically has some big name acts (not as big as Dave Matthews unfortunately).
UVA & W&L fraternities used to bring in Dave Matthews regularly before he broke. Not so much anymore! LOL
Old 03-29-2008, 01:26 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by srmom View Post

Yeah, there are definitely a couple of houses here that can spend some big sums on entertainment. Not that big. Plus the fact, just because you can pay for it doesn't mean they will come.
Old 04-05-2008, 08:43 PM
GreekChat Member

LXA brought the Ying Yang Twins in last year. $15,000.
Old 04-05-2008, 09:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Peeing on you and telling you it's rain apparently...
I WISH I was able to go to a big name concert at a fraternity event. To me it is so funny that you can afford them. Even my school is hard pressed to find acts for the two concerts they have a year that they can afford and we live in a big city.

For the record, I like most rap/hip hop and some country, I mainly like pop music.

I think at some point we'd have to admit that somebody likes rap regardless that everyone here apparently hates it because A) it makes money and B) You're willing to pay them to come there, and if you really didn't like rap then NO ONE would enjoy it or invite rap acts to come the next year-they'd just find something else to do.
Old 04-05-2008, 09:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhiGam View Post
LXA brought the Ying Yang Twins in last year. $15,000.
Everyone and their mom is bringing Ying Yang Twins in.

They're about the same price as the franchise boys (13,000ish)

I saw somewhere that SigEp at MissSt (on FH, I guess) had Ying Yang Twins...they're coming here too.

Texas country bands aren't bad and usually fairly cheap. Of course Emory Quinn's cheap, but so is Cory Morrow, Jason Boland and a few others.
Overall, though, it's the bigness of the car that counts the most. Because when something bad happens in a really big car – accidentally speeding through the middle of a gang of unruly young people who have been taunting you in a drive-in restaurant, for instance – it happens very far away – way out at the end of your fenders. It's like a civil war in Africa; you know, it doesn't really concern you too much. - P.J. O'Rourke
Old 04-05-2008, 10:20 PM
GreekChat Member

It's funny for me to read all this and see how times have changed. When I was an active, there were no such things as foam parties. Foam parties were what they did at Paradox- the very toolish ("douchey" in today's lingo) underage after hours club off 6th street. But now it seems like many Texas fraternities have foam parties.

And a rap group- or even hip hop- was unheard of for a band party. That said, one of the best band parties I ever attended was at the Lamda Chi house at Auburn with Sylvester performing. But his stuff is not really rap or hip hop in my mind.

The other best band parties I ever went to were Robert Earl Keen at the UT Silver Spurs concert, the Swinging Medallions at Theta Chi- UGA and Kinchafoonee Cowboys- also at UGA and I think that one was at the AGR house.

Anyhow- 10-15 years ago that was the great stuff. There was also a really great 80s cover band in Athens during the 1990s and they played a LOT of Greek parties, but I cannot remember their name even though I saw them several times.

You know, we should start a thread of best Greek band parties. It would be cool to see what people thought memorable from different eras. But I am not sure where that would go- here or maybe in Greek Life.
Old 04-06-2008, 02:35 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyPiNK_FL View Post
I WISH I was able to go to a big name concert at a fraternity event. To me it is so funny that you can afford them. Even my school is hard pressed to find acts for the two concerts they have a year that they can afford and we live in a big city.

For the record, I like most rap/hip hop and some country, I mainly like pop music.

I think at some point we'd have to admit that somebody likes rap regardless that everyone here apparently hates it because A) it makes money and B) You're willing to pay them to come there, and if you really didn't like rap then NO ONE would enjoy it or invite rap acts to come the next year-they'd just find something else to do.
Where do you attend? Up here we have a ton of great bands, Wait for Green, Ampitheatre, and P-Groove are common players at Fraternity parties and theyre all extremely talented.
Old 04-06-2008, 09:55 PM
GreekChat Member

i know Sister Hazel just played at a fraternity party at UGA and then are going to play at Georgia Southern. Now theres a good classic that we can all enjoy... :-P