GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,612
Threads: 115,519
Welcome to our newest member, sydnemaarleyz20
» Online Users: 2,219
1 members and 2,218 guests
No Members online

Old 07-04-2013, 11:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffins&Quills View Post
Alpha Xi is recolonizing Michigan State fall 2013, Oklahoma State is fall 2014. Just to clarify.
I knew that and have fixed my post. I was thinking 13-14 academic year and typed 2014.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-04-2013, 11:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGDee View Post
With Michigan State, there was a Panhellenic Agreement when Alpha Xi Delta closed they would have first option to return when the campus was ready to expand again. We made the same agreement when we closed shortly afterward so we will be next up when they are ready to expand. Phi Mu will return after us if they choose to, when the campus is ready to expand again. If a group declined the option, it would go to the next group automatically. We're really hoping your expansion at Michigan State goes great and Greek Life continues to grow quickly!
We are supposed to expand in the fall of 2017. That's actually the chapter of our current President!
Old 07-05-2013, 01:53 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishpipes View Post
I'm pretty conservative with the financial side of Greek life, and the ebbs and flows we've had historically. Expansion is fantastic, but I hope the bubble doesn't burst.
I agree. It's a tough balancing game as the inter/national sorority you don't want to be left in the dust of everyone else through this expansion phase, but you don't want to raise your hand for every one that comes along either. If I were going onto some of these huge schools, I think I'd build, but try to match myself to the smallest structure. Using IU as an example, the houses hold from something like 60 to way over 100. I'd be building a house that holds 60. Then when the inevitable downturn happens, you don't have the mass numbers to deal with. I'd compete with bells and whistles, not square footage. Or build a house that can be huge now or annexed into 2 units in harder times.

But I really think the downturn isn't going to happen for awhile. We've talked at length about the reason for the current success, and I don't see a change in the over-scheduled, planned social life existence that young people seem to need today. While there may be a down turn coming in student enrollment, there is a LOT more saturation that can happen, especially at the big state schools, where even the most popular Greek systems are a small percentage of the campus as a whole.
Old 07-06-2013, 04:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Alpha Xi Delta Miami University(OH)

Was an announcement ever made concerning Alpha Xi Delta at Miami University(OH)? Last January , notice was given to our exec board that they would be discontinuing their recolonization due to bid day activities. The recent advisor list I just received from the greek affairs office does not include any advisors for them. I deduce then that the information we received was accurate.
Old 07-06-2013, 05:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by madoug View Post
Alpha Xi Delta Miami University(OH)

Was an announcement ever made concerning Alpha Xi Delta at Miami University(OH)? Last January , notice was given to our exec board that they would be discontinuing their recolonization due to bid day activities. The recent advisor list I just received from the greek affairs office does not include any advisors for them. I deduce then that the information we received was accurate.
Here's what I found: http://www.miami.muohio.edu/news/article/view/18657
Old 07-06-2013, 07:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Thank you, dukedg
Old 07-07-2013, 04:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubaiSis View Post
But I really think the downturn isn't going to happen for awhile. We've talked at length about the reason for the current success, and I don't see a change in the over-scheduled, planned social life existence that young people seem to need today. While there may be a down turn coming in student enrollment, there is a LOT more saturation that can happen, especially at the big state schools, where even the most popular Greek systems are a small percentage of the campus as a whole.
I think everyone raises some good points about the coming downturn -it's only a matter of time at this point. While I agree that there's room to expand within the existing population, and that Greek popularity seems to be pretty strong, the overall enrollment projects don't look great for the next ten years.

I've been using this report a lot lately at work, and it shows that while 18-24 year old enrollment increased 50% from 1995 to 2009 (8M to 12M), it's only expected to increase 9% from 2009 to 2021 (12M to 13M).
Old 07-07-2013, 04:37 PM
Super Moderator

I am hoping that the new movie "Monsters U" will increase Greek popularity!
Old 07-07-2013, 04:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukedg View Post
And the crackdown continues.
Old 07-07-2013, 05:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnation View Post
I am hoping that the new movie "Monsters U" will increase Greek popularity!
I went and saw it last night. I wasn't impressed. It was fine, but nothing too exciting or especially motivating, especially where it applies to Greek membership. But who knows? Maybe a 10 year old sees it differently.
Old 07-07-2013, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAblondeGPhi View Post
I think everyone raises some good points about the coming downturn -it's only a matter of time at this point. While I agree that there's room to expand within the existing population, and that Greek popularity seems to be pretty strong, the overall enrollment projects don't look great for the next ten years.

I've been using this report a lot lately at work, and it shows that while 18-24 year old enrollment increased 50% from 1995 to 2009 (8M to 12M), it's only expected to increase 9% from 2009 to 2021 (12M to 13M).
Not only is the rate of growth expected to decrease, but rising costs could be a factor. As tuition and fees increase, and student loan interest rates increase, some students will not have the option of joining Greek life. Already at some of the big schools, Greek life is prohibitively expensive.

For a state like Oklahoma, a lot of the increased student population is coming from more rural areas, where a college education is a new concept. Students from those areas will not be as familiar with Greek life anyway, and they won't get interested the way costs are rising.
Old 07-07-2013, 05:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Well, it depends on if the sororities want to adapt. The costs don't HAVE to be that high. I mean, the costs I've read are utterly extreme at some schools and can't possibly correlate with actual costs. Those live-out fees are insane. And if the mortgage and utility costs are really that high, they need to deal with that, not just throw more money at it. I think the real story is the sororities are using those VERY high membership dues at certain schools to fund other enterprises. Fair? Maybe. But reason to close a chapter when membership drops? Absolutely not.

There are a lot of schools that require cost to live in be comparable to living in the dorms. And they have perfectly lovely chapter houses that hold plenty of their members. When girls stop being willing to pay the costs associated, chapters will either close or adapt. And my guess is they'll adapt. Sororities have learned a lot about letting chapters close just because of reduced membership. I'm sure with a way back machine my sorority would have taken another path at UCLA, as a for instance.
Old 07-07-2013, 06:00 PM

I think things have changed a lot. I know my personal experience at a chapter with a Lovely and large house, any member could pay their sorority expenses on her own. Living in the house was slightly cheaper than the dorms (and closer to campus for most chapters), and fees were nominal. I had a part-time job that paid my parlor fees, t-shirts, party pics, etc. But, those were the days that everyone shared bedrooms and bathrooms. We looked at the minimalist living as part of the college experience. It was fun and bonding. As long as college kids expect the same living conditions as their parents enjoy, sorority membership at housed chapters will continue to rise.
Old 07-07-2013, 09:51 PM
GreekChat Member

The ability to hold part time jobs have become increasingly harder as Organizations push their chapters to raise higher amounts of money for their named charities and have increased the number of service hours. Meanwhile the groups are pushed to support other chapters on their campus in the name of IFC and Panhellenic relations. Then there are the university events like relay for life and dance marathon claiming the students time and energy. Added to that is the need for students to go abroad experiences and internships to compete at top universities.
Charity and service are important to my family and I, but for what I have been seeing over the past 4 years, I think it is bordering on exploitation. Boy, what a mouthful, please forgive my soapbox rant.
Old 07-07-2013, 09:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishpipes View Post
I think things have changed a lot. I know my personal experience at a chapter with a Lovely and large house, any member could pay their sorority expenses on her own. Living in the house was slightly cheaper than the dorms (and closer to campus for most chapters), and fees were nominal. I had a part-time job that paid my parlor fees, t-shirts, party pics, etc. But, those were the days that everyone shared bedrooms and bathrooms. We looked at the minimalist living as part of the college experience. It was fun and bonding. As long as college kids expect the same living conditions as their parents enjoy, sorority membership at housed chapters will continue to rise.
Same school, obviously, but living in the sorority house + dues was comparable to living in the dorms.