GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Entertainment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Entertainment TV, movies, music, books, sports, radio...

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,456
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, zatylerahvso465
» Online Users: 1,560
0 members and 1,560 guests
No Members online

Old 05-05-2001, 11:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Post The Mummy Returns

Hey all, I just went to see the Mummy Returns. Honestly, I really didn't like it, like parts of it were cool, like the graphics and effects were too cool, but the movie it's self was kinda long and a bit boring. And the Rock, truly luv him, but he was in the movie for like what ten minutes.
What do u guys think? Has anybody seen it yet? Did u like , or hate it. Maybe i need to see it again.
DGPhoney~

------------------
"Simply the Best, Delta Gamma Pi"
http://everythingblack.websitenow.com/citron
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 05-06-2001, 03:27 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: Who you calling "boy"? The name's Hand Banana . . .
Strictly mediocre, for a lot of the reasons above. Worth seeing - but only if you're into that kind of action movie. The egyptian angles were cool, but took a while to tie together.
Old 05-06-2001, 02:41 PM
GreekChat Member

I liked it, but I thought there was too much hype about it. They did try to do too much to the movie I think. There were flaws in certin parts of storyline and there was a little too much computer generated scenes. I dont think it would win movie of the year, but I thought it was good. Especially Rachael Weiss.
Old 05-06-2001, 02:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Lots-a-Heart
Smile

I think the saying "The sequels are never better" totally applied to the Mummy Returns. It was good and I liked it, but I thought the first one was better! And I feel sorry for all those people who went to see it thinking they would see the Rock most of the time......but no fear, they are making a "scorpian King" movie for him!

------------------
Sarah
Sister Lots-a-Heart, #9
President, Iota Beta Chi Sorority
http://welcome.to/iotabetachi
Old 05-06-2001, 05:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to LeslieAGD
Red face

I guess I was the only one that thought it was as good as the first one. I really liked the fact that they used the character history of the first movie and that most of the characters came back. I also liked that they tied in the Egyptian history from the first movie. The effects were definitely cool too...(ps, the movie is called the Mummy, not the Rock).
Old 05-06-2001, 05:20 PM

I had to try so hard to watch the Rock play a serious roll without trying to laugh. Personally, I thought he was awful. I never saw the first Mummy. So, I thought the sequel was good.
Old 05-06-2001, 07:13 PM
GreekChat Member

hey yall, the rock was kinda silly in it, but thats still my man, lol. He's just not a good actor. Anyway someone mentioned the history part, which i did think was cool. How they were tying back to the egyptian princess, yada yada, but it doesn't fit right with the first one. But this movie was really lovey dovey though , I thought it was a lil much, oh well some sequels are cool, some suck
Old 05-07-2001, 12:03 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to James Send a message via AIM to James
I agree with LEslie . I just sat back and enjoyed the movie on opening day. All action . . but hey it was good action, and used the story line from the last movie for its plot structure.

It wasn't until I started hearing the criticism that I started analyzing the movie . . . but I did think it was good entertainment.

Quote:
Originally posted by LeslieAGD:
I guess I was the only one that thought it was as good as the first one. I really liked the fact that they used the character history of the first movie and that most of the characters came back. I also liked that they tied in the Egyptian history from the first movie. The effects were definitely cool too...(ps, the movie is called the Mummy, not the Rock).

[This message has been edited by James (edited May 07, 2001).]
Old 05-07-2001, 10:02 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: Look over your shoulder, I could be right behind ya!
I just loved it!!! I loved the effects, Brendan Fraser (*sigh*), and Oded Fehr (*double sigh*)!! I just loved the story and their adventures! Made me wanna be Evie! I loved the fight scenes between the women, and I loved the ancient Egyptian scenes!!!
Old 05-09-2001, 12:42 AM
GreekChat Member

OH as an addition . . . I had seen Rachael Weisz before but didn't really notice her . . . she is VERY attractive .

Who was the other nice looking young lady that was cast as the Mummy's girlfriend . . . she was nice to gaze at also.

[This message has been edited by James (edited May 09, 2001).]
Old 05-09-2001, 12:45 AM
GreekChat Member

OH one thing that was unrealistic . . . without spoiling it for anyone . . . there was a part during the movie where both girls were challenged to risk their lives for their men . . . it seems unrealistis for the mummy's girl to fail the challenge . . . after all they had been through!

Old 05-09-2001, 01:27 AM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs down

Yeah I agree with u James that part seemed a bit unrealistic, with all they had been through, it was kinda sad though, but it's the movies right oh well live to see another sequel
DGPhoney~
Old 05-09-2001, 09:41 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: Look over your shoulder, I could be right behind ya!
Quote:
Originally posted by James:
OH as an addition . . . I had seen Rachael Weisz before but didn't really notice her . . . she is VERY attractive .

Who was the other nice looking young lady that was cast as the Mummy's girlfriend . . . she was nice to gaze at also.

[This message has been edited by James (edited May 09, 2001).]
Anck-su-namun (sp?) was played by Patricia Valasquez...(sp?)
Old 05-15-2001, 09:41 AM
GreekChat Member

Angry

"SUCK SUCK BO BUCK, BANANA FANA FO *UCK"

SUCKY SUCKY YA-YA-YA!

I think EVERYONE could SMELL what the Rock was cooking in this! Like a pot of cabbage, saurkraut and broccoli cooking on a hot day with the windows closed up!

YIKES - this movie was rotten! Like the Easter eggs mom would find hidden under our beds 2 months afterwards because we thought it would be funny to see how long it would take to sniff them out!

**Stop reading if you haven't seen it and don't want to "ruin" it -- not that the movie didn't ruin itself**

Can you tell I was way disappointed? I loved the first one - LOVED it - it was like a modern day Indiana Jones with all the looks, humor, sex appeal, and graphics. I just loved it.

So this one - its like "hmmm - ok - we need to put the Rock in here, ok he's some King of the scorpions because he ate one and the explanation really didn't suffice to give it any real sense of what was going on --- good -- now we need to pull out the book of plots...Oh here's one that's never been used - he's really a prince, and she's really a princess - that works....ok - now - lets cast people into the exact same roles as the first one -- great - we need 3 dumb guys to be the treasure hunters...good -- now we need an evil guy to "head it all up" -- good....now we need someone to fly the plane....good -- now we got all the bits from the first one, so lets say instead of sand that the mummy kicks up, it'll be water....great! Now add in some sucky graphics that are worse than the original Star Wars (at least those were considered awesome back then) and how about a blimp for good measure...GREAT - now all we need is a couple of cat fights for the men, and a Titanic like scene for the women where they are snuggling at the front of the blimp (think "I am King of the world!") and now we have ourselves a movie!"

Ugghhh - so disappointed. Why couldn't they leave well enough alone?!
Old 05-15-2001, 09:49 AM
GreekChat Member

I agree it was very campy with all the in-jokes and past references.

But . . .

People LIKE that stuff!

IT sells, especially right now when there are not that many good new releases.

[This message has been edited by James (edited May 15, 2001).]