GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,426
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Abisha55
» Online Users: 2,612
1 members and 2,611 guests
LaneSig

Old 11-11-2021, 12:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Long scheduled revocation?

I understand when charters are revoked for 4 years, they want everyone involved in the incident (hazing, whatever) to have graduated before they come back. I understand if they make it a little more to make sure that those on a 5 or 6 year plan don't come back...

What I really don't get are revocations beyond that. For example, Theta Tau at Syracuse being permanently banned, I'm wondering if the school believes that as a *National* organization that Theta Tau's principles are such, that a group starting Theta Tau at Syracuse in 2050 of men and women who aren't even born would be inherently more of a problem than any other group of students at Syracuse.

The 10 year bans also seem to be beyond what makes sense. These include Alpha Phi Alpha at Virginia Tech and the initial Judge's decision to ban Pi Delta Psi from operating in the entire state of Pennsylvania (later overturned).

So what are your opinions on what actually make sense for a revocation beyond the amount of time when every involved student has left the school?
Old 11-11-2021, 01:03 PM
Super Moderator

I'd see it as justified if you had a group of alumni who kept associating with the chapter causing unsafe behavior. Just off the top of my head.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 11-11-2021, 03:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Things to ponder when discussing bans of greek chapters:

1] The existence of widely available social media allows information regarding the eregious/discriminatory behavior by said group(s) be google-able forever, thus some schools may choose a forever ban.

2] It's a privilege, not an automatic right, to be officially recognized as a campus activity group by a university. Bad behavior means the privilege of recognition is removed and some type of ban is put in its place.

3] In the interest of continued good greek/university relations, most greek groups will graciously accept a properly executed ban to ensure their likelihood of return to campus after the expiration of the time frame the school mandates.

4] Each campus has to decide for itself, based on the conduct and character expected of its students, how long any ban of a greek group will be. AFAIK the NPC is NOT looking into asking for a one-size-fits-all ban for particular types of bad behavior, nor IMO should it.

It's only words, and words are all I have to take your heart away.

Last edited by Cheerio; 11-11-2021 at 10:37 PM.
Old 11-11-2021, 05:13 PM
GreekChat Member

I don't think that any group - men or women - should automatically be allowed to return after a set number of years. For NPC groups, the campus has to invite them to return and conditions (any number of things) could deem it not time for expansion. Even if the campus should invite them, the group may not want to return yet for various reasons. We turned down an offer to return to Alabama a few years before we finally went back. Sometimes it's dueto reasons as Kevin suggested.
Old 11-11-2021, 09:42 PM

I wouldn’t be surprised if a “ban for life” wasn’t occasionally a school’s reaction to the fraternity saying in effect “this wouldn’t happen if the students you admit weren’t such a-holes.”

As far as Pi Delta Psi, that was undoubtedly a judge trying to get publicity and a name for themselves. There were only ever two chapters in the state to begin with, and the chapter the men were from who were convicted of hazing was based in a college in NYC. The crime just happened to take place in Pennsylvania.

Last edited by 33girl; 11-11-2021 at 09:50 PM.