GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 316,248
Threads: 115,676
Welcome to our newest member, SquirrelyDays
» Online Users: 564
5 members and 559 guests
GreatGnat, oboissonnedmu, PersistentDST

Old 06-20-2020, 11:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Alabama announced today they have 1700 PNNs already. Interesting to see how this plays out!
Old 06-24-2020, 11:52 AM
GreekChat Member

I fully expect that some of the University of Alabama's You Tubers will release a "how to" video for tips on virtual recruitment.
Old 06-24-2020, 10:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLLK View Post
I fully expect that some of the University of Alabama's You Tubers will release a "how to" video for tips on virtual recruitment.
Already on there today. One of the Pi Phi You Tuberís posted a short 6 minute video. Basically do your intro video and be prepared with questions for virtual rounds.....
Old 06-25-2020, 05:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Nobody's ever been though it before but already they have advice?
Just like the second semester freshmen posting how-to videos with "inside knowledge," yet they've never even been through on the sister side.

Old 06-25-2020, 10:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Arkansas Panhellenic Recruitment Plans
Here’s the link that discusses Arkansas plans.

https://uagreeks.uark.edu/panhelleni...ouncements.php
Old 06-26-2020, 02:46 PM

One of our interns graduated from Alabama last year, and she mentioned that Alabama will have the PNMs create a video for the first two rounds of recruitment.
Old 06-26-2020, 06:58 PM

^ I wonder how that will work out.

During open houses, the questions that PNMs get asked are pretty standard. Your name is already on your name tag. Hometown, major or intended major, extracurriculars, why are you interested in Greek Life... putting together a video that captures that information should be pretty straightforward.

But first invitational rounds? With in-person recruitment, the sisters are going to want to ask the PNMs questions. "Tell me more about your involvement in _____ activity." "What drew you to _____ University?" "Do you have any questions for me about XYZ Sorority?" "OMG you played D&D in high school? What's your favorite character that you've created?" And if the videos are going one-way, from the PNMs to the chapters, it's kinda hard to do that. Plus, if I were a PNM, I'd want to customize my video for each chapter that invited me back - much like you'd customize your cover letters when applying to jobs at different companies.
Old 06-27-2020, 01:44 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Sister Havana
Earlier this month, I watched a virtual show that had a virtual cocktail hour before the show started. When you logged into the event, you were put into a virtual lobby, and you were randomly matched with one of the other attendees for a 5-minute audio chat. Once that 5 minutes ended, you were matched with another person, and so on until the end of the hour. It was very cool! I wonder if the sororities would do something along those lines for some of the rounds.

This was the site that hosted the event.
Old 06-27-2020, 05:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Sister Havana, that sounds really neat! I could almost see doing Round 1 virtually becoming such a hit that it might be used next year as well. The noise and crowd factor can be overwhelming for many girls who then, in turn, don't do as well at a party as they might do in a virtual setting.

It will be interesting to see how virtual rush (or part in-person and part-virtual) might affect the girls who are chosen by each house. I could imagine some interesting shake-ups that could be good for everyone, such as the girl overwhelmed by crowds having her moment in the sun by rushing virtually or the life-of-the-party girl who dominates a group perhaps not being as skilled at one-on-one conversation.

Last edited by NYCMS; 06-27-2020 at 08:08 PM.
Old 06-27-2020, 06:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister Havana View Post
Earlier this month, I watched a virtual show that had a virtual cocktail hour before the show started. When you logged into the event, you were put into a virtual lobby, and you were randomly matched with one of the other attendees for a 5-minute audio chat. Once that 5 minutes ended, you were matched with another person, and so on until the end of the hour. It was very cool! I wonder if the sororities would do something along those lines for some of the rounds.

This was the site that hosted the event.

Great suggestion for virtual recruitment.
Old 07-06-2020, 08:51 AM
GreekChat Member

We are still waiting to hear final details for our younger D who will be a Freshman at Iowa State. They held a Webinar this last Thursday and went over some basics. They have developed plans for three scenarios, in person, hybrid and online. We assume the hybrid is going to most likely be the option however the county the school is in is seeing a spike in Covid cases so who knows.

They did provide the current dates for rush but we still don't have official move in dates yet. They plan to spread out move in times for students so that means you could have girls going through their virtual rush while their roommate is trying to move into the dorm room. Our D's roommate is not rushing so not sure where our D will go or sit to do any virtual rush. She doesn't want to hog the room or make her roommate uncomfortable those long first day's. Only about 30 more days to go before we start heading to take her to campus so this should be interesting.
Old 07-06-2020, 11:20 AM
GreekChat Member

I work in off campus student housing and I'm started to get nervous that despite the initial plans to bring students back to campus, that these rising rates may push more schools in the direction of Southern California and going to remote learning.

I can't image what this will look like for Greek Life but I can't imagine a socially distanced recruitment or new member period.
Old 07-06-2020, 11:30 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phigirl04 View Post
(snip) I can't image what this will look like for Greek Life but I can't imagine a socially distanced recruitment or new member period.
Read over the weekend that there is thought to having college football take place in the .... spring. Yep, spring. They'll observe what happens with NFL teams playing this fall and buy more time for things to slow down, especially on a college campus.

Perhaps pushing recruitment to spring might be best. Even with some campuses doing all-virtual rush, you'll still be challenged by chapters packing in a ton of girls into a meeting or hanging out in a room or whatever.
Old 07-06-2020, 01:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Agreed NYCMS!

I cannot imagine trying to get to know my new member class with only virtual options.

I'm thinking that pushing it back to Spring would make the most sense unless things start changing.

So glad, we moved back home and got season football tickets for this year for the first time in 4 years and likely won't be able to use them but better safe then sorry.
Old 07-06-2020, 01:09 PM
Super Moderator

Football? In the spring?