GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,270
1 members and 1,269 guests
LaneSig

Old 09-10-2019, 01:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Smile Professional Sororities/ Fraternities?

There are several of you who seem to be a part of many professional fraternities that I have never heard of, which had me curious!

I am involved in a business professional fraternity through my college, but I was wondering what other types there are (these very specific - major focused - fraternities are all that I have ever known of, outside of NPC greek orgs), and if there are any that primarily focus on community service and philanthropy. I love my business fraternity, but the focus is not really on philanthropy, and more or less on networking (which has also been very helpful).
I am just interested in more opportunities to give back to my community.

Thanks for any info you provide!!

Last edited by anongreek; 09-11-2019 at 10:47 AM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-10-2019, 05:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Are you looking for one associated with a university or for women not in school? Beta Sigma Phi would be one such. You should be able to locate one near you from their web site.
Old 09-11-2019, 09:35 PM
GreekChat Member

There are at least three national Community Service Greeks. Alpha Phi Omega, Gamma Sigma Sigma and Omega Phi Alpha. Alpha Phi Omega was founded as all-male, GSS and Omega Phi Alpha as female, but all are co-ed now.

I'll be happy to give more information and leads.
Old 09-11-2019, 10:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by naraht View Post
There are at least three national Community Service Greeks. Alpha Phi Omega, Gamma Sigma Sigma and Omega Phi Alpha. Alpha Phi Omega was founded as all-male, GSS and Omega Phi Alpha as female, but all are co-ed now.

I'll be happy to give more information and leads.
thank you so much for your help! I would love some info on these and how to get involved (if you have it)!
Old 09-11-2019, 10:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anongreek View Post
thank you so much for your help! I would love some info on these and how to get involved (if you have it)!
Alpha Phi Omega National Service Fraternity, founded 1925 (www.apo.org) is much larger than the two sororities. It has about 300 active chapters.

Gamma Sigma Sigma National Service Sorority, founded 1952 (www.gammasigmasigma.org) has about 50 active chapters

Omega Phi Alpha National Service Sorority, founded 1953 (www.omegaphialpha.org) has 28 active chapters.

All have both men and women members (like most Professionals, they are required to be co-ed by Title IX).

All of these are collegiate organizations with the primary unit being on the college campus, but with Alumni Associations of those who became members in College.

I'm an alumnus of Alpha Phi Omega and know members of both other groups. I've got considerably more information, but until I know what school you are at, and other questions, I'll hold back.
Old 09-11-2019, 11:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by naraht View Post
Alpha Phi Omega National Service Fraternity, founded 1925 (www.apo.org) is much larger than the two sororities. It has about 300 active chapters.

Gamma Sigma Sigma National Service Sorority, founded 1952 (www.gammasigmasigma.org) has about 50 active chapters

Omega Phi Alpha National Service Sorority, founded 1953 (www.omegaphialpha.org) has 28 active chapters.

All have both men and women members (like most Professionals, they are required to be co-ed by Title IX).

All of these are collegiate organizations with the primary unit being on the college campus, but with Alumni Associations of those who became members in College.

I'm an alumnus of Alpha Phi Omega and know members of both other groups. I've got considerably more information, but until I know what school you are at, and other questions, I'll hold back.

Thank you so much for the information!! I will look into these, and PM if you I have any more questions. Thanks so much for all of your help! I really appreciate it.
Old 09-11-2019, 11:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anongreek View Post
Thank you so much for the information!! I will look into these, and PM if you I have any more questions. Thanks so much for all of your help! I really appreciate it.
No problem. Each also has pages about them on Wikipedia, if that helps.