GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.


Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:
 
Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

  I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 313,458
Threads: 115,368
Posts: 2,166,755
Welcome to our newest member, aamasswifty5680
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-10-2019, 11:14 PM
DistantXOcousin DistantXOcousin is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: From Pasadena to Chicago to Haifa and back.
Posts: 40
University of Georgia NPC Recruitment 2019

I'm closely following along as a close family friend goes through her recruitment at UGA, we just got through day one and there are already tears. As much as I love recruitment, UGA can be particularly vicious.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-11-2019, 12:01 AM
carnation carnation is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Georgia
Posts: 11,631
How can there be tears already since no cuts have been made?
__________________
WARR EAGLE!!! WOOO PIG! SOOIE!! HAIL STATE!!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-11-2019, 12:58 AM
DistantXOcousin DistantXOcousin is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: From Pasadena to Chicago to Haifa and back.
Posts: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by carnation View Post
How can there be tears already since no cuts have been made?
Stress, it was a long day today. She didn't expect rush to be so intense, focused, and hands on. Her mom went to a smaller school during a time when you stepped onto campus, went through rush, and got a house just like that. She thought it would be like that for her as well and now she's seeing that there are places where she fits in and doesn't fit in and it's all sort of jarring for her.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-11-2019, 10:26 AM
carnation carnation is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Georgia
Posts: 11,631
Y'all better warn her to be strong for the cuts, not only for her but for people around her. My daughter, a Greek alum, works there and every year during recruitment is witness to several sobbing girls getting on the buses that take them around.

You know how outstanding a woman has to be to even get into Georgia and many of them have never been rejected before.
__________________
WARR EAGLE!!! WOOO PIG! SOOIE!! HAIL STATE!!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-11-2019, 10:58 AM
DistantXOcousin DistantXOcousin is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: From Pasadena to Chicago to Haifa and back.
Posts: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by carnation View Post
Y'all better warn her to be strong for the cuts, not only for her but for people around her. My daughter, a Greek alum, works there and every year during recruitment is witness to several sobbing girls getting on the buses that take them around.

You know how outstanding a woman has to be to even get into Georgia and many of them have never been rejected before.
We called her up this morning to talk to her. Her mother rushed back in the day and told her about "extra" houses and she was under the impression that Sigma Delta Tau at Georgia was like their chapter at Alabama. Hopefully rush will go well for her but it's hard already and we all know how bad it gets before it gets better. Cuts haven't even come yet so we'll see how she reacts to those first ones.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-11-2019, 11:15 AM
APhi4Ever's Avatar
APhi4Ever APhi4Ever is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,078
Hopefully a school with as competitive of a recruitment will be for her. If she joins a sorority, is joining a sorority as large as the chapters are at Georgia going to be okay? I hope she finds a home and wish her good luck!
__________________
Alpha Phi
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-11-2019, 11:24 AM
AZTheta AZTheta is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: N 37.811092 W -107.664643
Posts: 5,140
This is harsh: my question is, were the mother and daughter living in a media-free bubble? It's absolutely incomprehensible to me, with social media being what it is, that both were unaware of the competitiveness, let alone the actual structure (intensity), of SEC recruitment. Surely she had recs. Surely she heard from peers about Georgia. They would not have jumped into the shark pool so blithely without doing research - right? GAH!

I live in the desert, far far away from SEC recruitment; I rushed back in the day at a "laid back" UCSB and even I knew better back then (no "extra" houses, all were competitive),and I know way better now. I do most sincerely wish her the very best of luck finding a home. May this story have a happy ending, please. Please. Please.
__________________
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-11-2019, 11:27 AM
Titchou Titchou is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Sweet Home Alabama
Posts: 4,155
Amen, AZTheta!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-11-2019, 11:58 AM
Jen Jen is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Posts: 689
You'd be surprised how many posts I've seen on FB the last few days from moms and daughters in a panic because they just learned about rec letters and recruitment starts in two weeks.

I get it when they're from out of state, but I've been really surprised at the number of in-state SEC girls who just don't seem to have heard a thing about recruitment or how it works.
__________________
ΑΦ


Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-11-2019, 12:28 PM
carnation carnation is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Georgia
Posts: 11,631
You know why? Because there are all these websites that say that no sorority requires recs. And they don't mention how huge the early cuts are so they won't offend moms who think their darlings wouldn't possibly receive cuts.
__________________
WARR EAGLE!!! WOOO PIG! SOOIE!! HAIL STATE!!
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 08-11-2019, 12:29 PM
FSUZeta FSUZeta is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: naples, florida
Posts: 15,808
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZTheta View Post
This is harsh: my question is, were the mother and daughter living in a media-free bubble? It's absolutely incomprehensible to me, with social media being what it is, that both were unaware of the competitiveness, let alone the actual structure (intensity), of SEC recruitment. Surely she had recs. Surely she heard from peers about Georgia. They would not have jumped into the shark pool so blithely without doing research - right? GAH!

I live in the desert, far far away from SEC recruitment; I rushed back in the day at a "laid back" UCSB and even I knew better back then (no "extra" houses, all were competitive),and I know way better now. I do most sincerely wish her the very best of luck finding a home. May this story have a happy ending, please. Please. Please.
My thoughts exactly. Add to that the fact that Mummy and Daddy have always swooped in and been able to run the gauntlet for their kids and now these kids have few coping skills and that is why girls are crying in the first rounds.
__________________
I live in Fantasyland and I have waterfront property.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 08-11-2019, 12:37 PM
FSUZeta FSUZeta is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: naples, florida
Posts: 15,808
Quote:
Originally Posted by carnation View Post
You know why? Because there are all these websites that say that no sorority requires recs. And they don't mention how huge the early cuts are so they won't offend moms who think their darlings wouldn't possibly receive cuts.
And we have seen on multiple FB sites the great debate of recs or no recs needed over and over and over. I have seen moms comment on how unfair it is to require them. Seriously. I have seen moms who say " well, so and so didn't have recs and got a bid."when they could not possibly know if the girl did or did not have one. I have seen moms of members rushing on the sorority side for the first time claiming their daughters say their sororities don't use recs and the daughters know this because they have never seen one. We have tried to explain about rush committees and rec committes and how recs are not trotted out In Front of the entire chapter, to no avail.
__________________
I live in Fantasyland and I have waterfront property.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 08-11-2019, 01:00 PM
UVASquirrel UVASquirrel is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 95
Following Georgia closely as well as one of my sisters has her daughter going through this year. She's got her recs, is a legacy at at least our chapter...so hoping it all goes well for her! Fingers crossed she finds a home she loves, even if it isn't ours.
__________________
Alpha Gamma Delta
Loving, Leading, Lasting
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 08-11-2019, 01:07 PM
APhi2KD APhi2KD is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUZeta View Post
And we have seen on multiple FB sites the great debate of recs or no recs needed over and over and over. I have seen moms comment on how unfair it is to require them. Seriously. I have seen moms who say " well, so and so didn't have recs and got a bid."when they could not possibly know if the girl did or did not have one. I have seen moms of members rushing on the sorority side for the first time claiming their daughters say their sororities don't use recs and the daughters know this because they have never seen one. We have tried to explain about rush committees and rec committes and how recs are not trotted out In Front of the entire chapter, to no avail.
This has been the bane of my existence this summer!!! GAH!!!
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 08-11-2019, 01:18 PM
DistantXOcousin DistantXOcousin is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: From Pasadena to Chicago to Haifa and back.
Posts: 40
I told my Twizzler when she was at Northwestern that even though it said recs weren’t needed, they were most certainly needed.

Now I’m at Alabama and I have old friends writing to me to try to ask me for last minute letters when rush started days ago for some.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
University of Alabama NPC recruitment 2019 thread psy Sorority Recruitment 151 09-17-2019 01:18 PM
Indiana University Recruitment 2019 phoenix16 Sorority Recruitment 326 02-08-2019 09:17 AM
University of Dayton 2019 Recruitment IUMomma Sorority Recruitment 4 01-29-2019 10:13 PM
University of Georgia Recruitment shelbylovesuga Recruitment 12 07-05-2011 06:10 PM
University of Georgia Recruitment shadokat Recruitment 127 08-04-2007 01:15 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:18 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.