GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 310,379
Threads: 115,037
Welcome to our newest member, Curiouswonderer

Old 04-14-2019, 03:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Blackballed in 2016, need advice

To make a long story short, was blackballed from a lot of chapters on campus in 2016, dropped out shortly after, going to community college now and am gonna be at a different college (but still in the same state) come 2021
Do fraternities have some kind of regional blackball list or something that all fraternities from different colleges know about? Or does each chapter keep it to themselves (aside from maybe talking about it to their friends in other fraternities on campus)

Literally everyone that was there when shit happened is graduated by now except for if someone was a freshmen, so 2 years from now literally everyone and their dog will be long gone, if the freshmen go for grad school they will be about to get their masters

Do I have anything to worry about?
Also I gotta keep shit anonymous so I'm not gonna talk about what happened, I was socially retarded back then and did some off the wall OD shit
Old 04-14-2019, 07:42 PM

Um. Wow.

First off, I take it you were rushing so unless you were a member you can’t know whether you were technically “blackballed.”

When you get to your college (assuming you get admitted) you are going to be at least 23. Unless the school you’re thinking of attending has a majority commuter and non traditional student population, that will make you older than pretty much all of the fraternity members at your school. You might have nothing in common with any of them.

Finally, “socially retarded” is regarded as an offensive phrase by many people. I’m not sure (and don’t know that I want to know what “OD shit” entails.
Old 04-14-2019, 08:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Um. Wow.

First off, I take it you were rushing so unless you were a member you can’t know whether you were technically “blackballed.”

When you get to your college (assuming you get admitted) you are going to be at least 23. Unless the school you’re thinking of attending has a majority commuter and non traditional student population, that will make you older than pretty much all of the fraternity members at your school. You might have nothing in common with any of them.

Finally, “socially retarded” is regarded as an offensive phrase by many people. I’m not sure (and don’t know that I want to know what “OD shit” entails.
Yeah I was rushing, but I know I was perma banned from em because different people told me so. Yeah I'll be 23 but I never stopped partying on campus, infact my partying only grew after the fact, so I'm pretty sure I'll fit right in.

Last edited by someguy15; 04-14-2019 at 08:36 PM.
Old 04-14-2019, 08:43 PM
GreekChat Member

I’m afraid you’re placing WAY too much emphasis on being in the party scene. Maybe that’s what got you in trouble in the first place. Many fraternities might consider a member in his early 20s, but if he came across as a MAD PARTIER and has the vibe of an 18-year-old, then NO.
An older rushee might well be bidded because he would bring something DIFFERENT to the table: maturity, stability, leadership capabilities. Play those cards. And don’t confuse “being older” with “being mature”—they’re very different.
And—if you’re pledging for the crazy parties—please don’t.
Old 04-14-2019, 09:11 PM
GreekChat Member

A lot of chapters are screening based on a person's risk profile. If your dumbass antics are going to get the whole house in trouble you're not going to get very far. Good luck.
Old 04-14-2019, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someguy15 View Post
Yeah I was rushing, but I know I was perma banned from em because different people told me so. Yeah I'll be 23 but I never stopped partying on campus, infact my partying only grew after the fact, so I'm pretty sure I'll fit right in.
You are wanting to go Greek for the completely wrong reasons. Drink at a bar and be done with it.
Old 04-14-2019, 10:00 PM
GreekChat Member

No. There is no national "black ball" listing. Members of one chapter rarely talk to members of another chapter about the rushees that they let go. However, if your reason for joining, as others have said, is to party, don't bother trying again. It will come through and that is not all that Greek life is about.
Old 04-15-2019, 10:47 AM
GreekChat Member

This smells like a troll post. However, if it isn't, I think you are better off not rushing. Your post makes you sound like a liability.
Old 04-15-2019, 05:09 PM
GreekChat Member

By the way you present yourself online, it sounds like you haven't grown up and learned anything in the past five years. If the fraternities weren't interested in pledging a socially-irresponsible and partying 18-year old five years ago, they will be even less interested in pledging a 23-year old who admits that he parties even harder than before.

To be more direct about your question, I don't know if there would be a regional blackball database; but, if you received a bid and started pledging at a fraternity before getting bounced out, it's possible your name is on a list somewhere. What you are more likely to encounter are those young men who have graduated and are now serving as alumni advisers or older alumni advisers who will remember your name from the first go around.

Connect. Impact. Shine.
Old 04-16-2019, 12:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by someguy15 View Post
To make a long story short, was blackballed from a lot of chapters on campus in 2016, dropped out shortly after, going to community college now and am gonna be at a different college (but still in the same state) come 2021
Do fraternities have some kind of regional blackball list or something that all fraternities from different colleges know about? Or does each chapter keep it to themselves (aside from maybe talking about it to their friends in other fraternities on campus)

Literally everyone that was there when shit happened is graduated by now except for if someone was a freshmen, so 2 years from now literally everyone and their dog will be long gone, if the freshmen go for grad school they will be about to get their masters

Do I have anything to worry about?
Also I gotta keep shit anonymous so I'm not gonna talk about what happened, I was socially retarded back then and did some off the wall OD shit
QFP