GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,144
1 members and 1,143 guests
3DGator

Old 01-07-2019, 07:36 AM
GreekChat Member

The process is exhausting on both sides. Heard from my D and she said they had to cut a lot of girls they really liked simply because of the numbers. Just because you get cut from any of the houses doesn't mean the didn't like you. I know the PNM's can't see that side but having a D going through rush for the first time from the other side of things I think she is gaining a much better appreciation for the process.
Old 01-07-2019, 09:46 AM
GreekChat Member

Thanks for encouragement and ideas on how to be there for my D during this process. She visited her 9 houses. Some went well, others didn't. She got double rushed at 4 of them and none of them went well (in her mind). She really does have an open mind about the different chapters. But what I'm realizing is that this process is highlighting some other things some other issues she's been having and bringing them to the surface. So we're working through all that. It doesn't help that she's in a group where all but about 4 of the women received full dance cards for round two. I keep telling her that's not the norm, but, you know, she's 19 so she knows more .

I did have some questions about terms if someone would mind answering/explaining?

What is an RFM, QA, bed quota?

Also, are the women given the opportunity to attend three chapters on preference night?

What does it mean to "maximize" your bids?

Does IU still do "snap bidding" and informal/open rush after formal rush is over?

Thanks in advance. It's been awhile since I went through IU rush and it is a very, very different process. I didn't realize how much it had changed. When I went through, we (the PNMs) were given a list of chapters that had invited us back. If we were asked back to more than we could visit we cut them. Very different now.

This will be a very long week. I'm glad she at least has classes to focus on now instead of sitting in her room marinating in everything.

Thanks!
Old 01-07-2019, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IUMomof2 View Post
Thanks for encouragement and ideas on how to be there for my D during this process. She visited her 9 houses. Some went well, others didn't. She got double rushed at 4 of them and none of them went well (in her mind). She really does have an open mind about the different chapters. But what I'm realizing is that this process is highlighting some other things some other issues she's been having and bringing them to the surface. So we're working through all that. It doesn't help that she's in a group where all but about 4 of the women received full dance cards for round two. I keep telling her that's not the norm, but, you know, she's 19 so she knows more .

I did have some questions about terms if someone would mind answering/explaining?

What is an RFM, QA, bed quota?
RFM = Release Figures Methodology. This is the formulaic approach to recruitment which analyzes relative chapter strength and determines how many PNMs a chapter is allowed to invite for the next round of parties. In very simple terms, strong recruiting chapters cannot "string along" PNMs. The stronger the chapter, the heavier cuts they must make early on in the process, thus forcing PNMs to consider chapters where they are more likely to receive a bid. In the old days, popular chapters could invite rushees back only to drop them at the very end, after those rushees had cut more fitting chapters for them.
QA = quota additions. These are PNMs who are matched to a chapter (for a variety of reasons) after quota has already been matched.
Bed quota is an archaic recruitment strategy that did not utilize RFM or quota/total. Chapters pledged the number of PNMs needed to fill the beds in the chapter house.

Also, are the women given the opportunity to attend three chapters on preference night?

What does it mean to "maximize" your bids?
This means that a PNM attends the maximum number of parties each round of recruitment. If a PNM can attend 9 but doesn't like one and only attends 8, she has not maximized and therefore cannot be considered for a quota addition or guaranteed bid match. However, if the maximum is 9 and a PNM only has 7 invitations and attends them all, she has maximized her options.

Does IU still do "snap bidding" and informal/open rush after formal rush is over?
All campuses do these things. (They aren't the same.) A PNM shouldn't count on this however, as the number of spaces may be extremely limited, and many chapters will have no spaces at all. These slots often are offered to women already well-known to the chapter.

Thanks in advance. It's been awhile since I went through IU rush and it is a very, very different process. I didn't realize how much it had changed. When I went through, we (the PNMs) were given a list of chapters that had invited us back. If we were asked back to more than we could visit we cut them. Very different now.

This will be a very long week. I'm glad she at least has classes to focus on now instead of sitting in her room marinating in everything.

Thanks!
Hopefully this helps. There is a lot of info on these topics on Greekchat.
Old 01-07-2019, 10:28 AM
GreekChat Member

Also, Bed Quota is no longer used during formal recruitment at IU. All chapters are given the same quota.

So I depart that I may now better serve my fellow man, my country & God
Old 01-07-2019, 10:45 AM
GreekChat Member

Here is a link to a great NPC explainer on RFM:

https://npcwomen.dynamic.omegafi.com...pdate-2017.pdf

Basically, each chapter will invite X PNMs back to each round. X is determined by RFM (Release Figure Methodology), a program that uses each chapter's return rate (the number of PNMs on a chapter's list who want to return to them next round i.e. do not list them in their "drop" chapters) to figure out how many PNMs need to be invited to each round for that chapter to make quota at the end of recruitment.

If a chapter has a 90% return rate they are going to be required to release more PNMs than a chapter that has a 60% return rate because they are, in essence, "assumed" to have a 90% chance of a PNM on their first bid (quota) list accepting so they do not need as many women on their second list (this means fewer PNMs need to be invited to pref for the 90% chapter to make quota). This math is applied to the invites for all rounds.

Last edited by mkaytay; 01-07-2019 at 03:20 PM. Reason: no more bed rush!
Old 01-07-2019, 11:22 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkaytay View Post
The section on quota doesn't fully apply to IU since they do the weird hybrid quota/bed quota thing (that hopefully an IU expert can explain since I don't totally understand it myself!), but it's a nice overview of how the RFM invite system works.
IU No longer uses Bed Rush. IU uses standard quota just like everyone else now. So no hybrid anything.

The only thing IU has not (yet) adopted is a campus total. but BED RUSH IS DEAD.

So I depart that I may now better serve my fellow man, my country & God
Old 01-07-2019, 04:03 PM

Are no chapters setting their quota above the amount per their national HQ?
Old 01-07-2019, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IUMomof2 View Post

If three chapters ask them back, yes. I don’t know why people were trying to make this unnecessarily complicated.
Old 01-07-2019, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverRoses View Post
IU No longer uses Bed Rush. IU uses standard quota just like everyone else now. So no hybrid anything.

The only thing IU has not (yet) adopted is a campus total. but BED RUSH IS DEAD.
HURRAH! Bed rush was way too freaking complicated.

But it does raise the question of what happens if there are more new members than beds? I assume some NMs live in the house and the rest live in the dorms until the following year? I imagine that could make it hard for the NM class to come together as a unit - I'd hate to be the only NM from my chapter living in the dorms, and even if there are several NMs living out of house I can see where they would feel left out (like, I was good enough to get a bid but not good enough to live in the house?).

It also raises the question of what if there are empty beds after recruitment, but I suppose that was always an issue - with bed rush, if a chapter didn't meet quota, by definition the house would have empty beds.
Old 01-07-2019, 05:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Many of the Houses have a Two Year requirements to live in. This Fall she will live in an apartment. Lease is already signed. I think, one house still wants you for 3 years? If you go abroad for a semester, you are still required to pay a fee even if not in House.
Old 01-07-2019, 06:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to sigmagirl2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
If three chapters ask them back, yes. I don’t know why people were trying to make this unnecessarily complicated.
I've been told that PNMs can be invited to a maximum of two houses for preference.

The confusion, I believe, is that many houses will be having 3 or 4 party time slots due to RFM and historical return rates.

::: waiting for someone to post in Irishpipes 2013-2014 chapter listing thread that quota was .25 ::: - ASTalumna06
Old 01-07-2019, 06:57 PM
Super Moderator

To the best of my knowledge, if a PNM does not attend all the parties to which she has been invited, she will be expelled from rush. It is not an option to pick and choose which invitations to accept.
Old 01-07-2019, 06:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to sigmagirl2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUZeta View Post
To the best of my knowledge, if a PNM does not attend all the parties to which she has been invited, she will be expelled from rush. It is not an option to pick and choose which invitations to accept.
this is correct. Maximizing options refers to listing every house that a PNM attends a preference invitation to on her MRABA, not just attending all parties she is invited to.

::: waiting for someone to post in Irishpipes 2013-2014 chapter listing thread that quota was .25 ::: - ASTalumna06
Old 01-07-2019, 07:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by USCofSEC View Post
Many of the Houses have a Two Year requirements to live in. This Fall she will live in an apartment. Lease is already signed. I think, one house still wants you for 3 years? If you go abroad for a semester, you are still required to pay a fee even if not in House.
This all depends on the chapter. Houses sleep anywhere from 80-100 women. Some chapters only require members to live in one year and then certain officers. Some chapters have a two-year requirement. And the big one, not all chapters require you to pay any fees if you are study abroad! In my organization, study abroad sisters are considered on leave. Also, in some chapters sisters are allowed to share leases meaning if you are studying abroad fall semester, you can find someone who is studying abroad in the spring and each sign for one semester.

Since pledge classes have been in the 50-55 range and some officers are required to live in, most chapters at IU have no problem at all filling the beds in the house.
Old 01-07-2019, 08:27 PM
GreekChat Member

To settle the pref debate, I contacted one of our Rho Gams. She said that the PHA website is wrong, and that PNMs are still going to up to 2 chapters. Not three. Only 2. There are 3 rounds that day for chapters with an optional fourth round to keep the number of PNMs manageable for the chapter, but a PNM would only go to 1 or 2.

To Bind, To Strive, To Aid