GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Chapter Operations

Chapter Operations Share plans, ideas, and brainstorm problems related to chapter operations. Topics also include parliamentary procedure, national programs, innovations & etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 308,238
Threads: 114,832
Welcome to our newest member, lguielu
» Online Users: 371
5 members and 366 guests
ComradesTrue, flirt5721, JayhawkAOII, Xidelt

Old 09-03-2018, 01:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Question Reinstatement

Has anyone ever been successfully reinstated after resigning their membership? I resigned my membership from my sorority a few months due to a personal crisis. A family member became critically ill and I went into a manic state resulting from traumatic stress and depression. I didnít want my sisters to find out about what I was going through so i decided that resigning would be the best decision but in hindsight i shouldíve just asked for help. I immediately regretted my decision after dropping but didnít know what to do. After months of seeking medical treatment and going to therapy, I still feel regret over my decision to drop. I deeply loved my sorority and it pains me to walk around campus knowing that I walked away from one of best things in my life due to mental health. I saw some posts on reinstatement but Iím not sure if it applies for all sororities. Would it be possible to appeal for reinstatement? Is it worth the shot? Iím a Junior but Iím a semester ahead so, Iím technically a Senior.
Old 09-03-2018, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayofsun View Post
Has anyone ever been successfully reinstated after resigning their membership? I resigned my membership from my sorority a few months due to a personal crisis. A family member became critically ill and I went into a manic state resulting from traumatic stress and depression. I didnít want my sisters to find out about what I was going through so i decided that resigning would be the best decision but in hindsight i shouldíve just asked for help. I immediately regretted my decision after dropping but didnít know what to do. After months of seeking medical treatment and going to therapy, I still feel regret over my decision to drop. I deeply loved my sorority and it pains me to walk around campus knowing that I walked away from one of best things in my life due to mental health. I saw some posts on reinstatement but Iím not sure if it applies for all sororities. Would it be possible to appeal for reinstatement? Is it worth the shot? Iím a Junior but Iím a semester ahead so, Iím technically a Senior.
Whether this is possible depends on your sorority. I'd contact HQ directly.

Lakers Nation.
Old 09-03-2018, 06:50 PM

Are you still in touch with any of your sisters? Are they aware this is something you really didnít want to do but your mental health compelled it?

Contact your national HQ and if it turns out you can be reinstated, I would definitely be straight up with your sisters and explain why you left. If someone left my chapter with no explanation and came back with no explanation, I wouldnít be inclined to be very welcoming.
Old 09-03-2018, 09:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Yes I am in contact with some of my sisters. I addressed my resignation to the chapter after i dropped and some of my sisters reached out to me in support of my decision. I had a very good relationship with the members
Old 09-03-2018, 09:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayofsun View Post
Yes I am in contact with some of my sisters. I addressed my resignation to the chapter after i dropped and some of my sisters reached out to me in support of my decision. I had a very good relationship with the members
You were an initiated member, not a pledge, correct?
Old 09-03-2018, 10:10 PM
GreekChat Member

For my organisation, you have to wait a year to apply for reinstatement, and I know a few others that have similar requirements. Your national office should be able to help. Good luck, I hope you can get the answers you need!!
Old 09-04-2018, 02:52 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetalady View Post
You were an initiated member, not a pledge, correct?
Yes I was
Old 09-04-2018, 12:52 PM
GreekChat Member

if you left the chapter owing any money, you will have to pay that debt. You would only be considered to be reinstated if there are no outstanding payments.
Old 09-04-2018, 02:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Rayofsun, please check with your national headquarters. If you can, please come back and let us know how it all turned out. Wishing you the best.

Connect. Impact. Shine.
Old 09-20-2018, 03:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Hi.
Just checking in to give you all an update. I reached out to HQ and spoke with my chapter’s regional director who told me that my resignation was final.
Old 09-20-2018, 04:15 PM
GreekChat Member

RayofSun, I am so sorry. One of my dearest friends had her membership terminated after college due to an outstanding debt she forgot about. Years later it was brought to her attention, but it was outside the approved resolution period. She is still our sister and is on a list in case Grand Council ever changes things. You still have the friendships and the memories. I hope you count those as pure gold and develop no bittneress to your sorority of heart. I commend you for reaching out. That shows a tenacity that will take you far in life.
Old 09-20-2018, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theta1234 View Post
RayofSun, I am so sorry. One of my dearest friends had her membership terminated after college due to an outstanding debt she forgot about. Years later it was brought to her attention, but it was outside the approved resolution period. She is still our sister and is on a list in case Grand Council ever changes things. You still have the friendships and the memories. I hope you count those as pure gold and develop no bittneress to your sorority of heart. I commend you for reaching out. That shows a tenacity that will take you far in life.
Totally agree! They might not be your sisters on paper but they are still your sisters in your heart.
Old 09-21-2018, 02:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theta1234 View Post
Thank you. I'm glad I gave it one last shot. I can now peacefully move forward without constantly thinking about the what ifs. I guess my only worry is how others will treat me after college. I've met many sisters from other chapters and it scares me that I might get shunned for resigning my membership if the topic ever comes up
Old 09-21-2018, 04:34 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm just wondering....if it was a regional director, perhaps you could appeal to your governing council? You might want to read the sorority constitution and bylaws, if you can access them.

Old 09-21-2018, 05:32 PM
GreekChat Member

I spoke with our regional director. She said that after reviewing my papers and notes from the membership committee in our chapter, it showed that my resignation was voluntary and that the decision was final. I really don't want to step over toes and keep fighting for something that I ultimately let go of on my own accord. I loved the organization with my whole hear, tbut I had to let it go, and maybe it was for the best. Only time will tell.

I am a firm believer of the saying Ē what's meant for you will be yoursĒ perhaps my time in my sorority was only meant to last as long as it did.