GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Delta > Delta Sigma Theta

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 307,507
Threads: 114,733
Welcome to our newest member, DomingoM14

Old 08-19-2018, 02:29 PM
GreekChat Member

My line number is "0"

Hello Sorors,

I am writing this for the second time-the first time I was logged off, and I will try and be brief and to the point. I can try my best to elaborate if anybody has any further questions. I am going to focus on the title of this thread “My line number is “0”.

Brief Background History: I grew up in a first generation middle class home, the daughter of an architect/business owner and a master’s level social worker. I am the first of three siblings (I also lost a younger brother to SIDS). It was always my parents’ dream that I would go to college and become a professional. I later found out that I could never fulfill their dream (of my becoming a professional) due to the fact that I am intellectually slow. However, despite being intellectually slow, I worked hard in junior high and then high school where I graduated in the top 10% of my class. I was an Illinois State Scholar, in the National Honor Society, and an editor on the school newspaper and yearbook for four years. I was able to win a tuition scholarship to Hampton University. As long as I maintained a 3.5 GPA, my scholarship would be renewed, which it was every semester.

Senior Year/Gamma Iota Chapter, Delta Sigma Theta, Inc: Based on my accomplishments in college (I am not going to bore you with them, but my name was in my senior year's Honors Convocation booklet more than any other name), I was able to “pledge” Delta Sigma Theta my senior year. I had wanted to pledge Delta since my sophomore year, and I had wanted to be Greek most of my life since my father is a member of Kappa Alpha Psi, Inc. I had a wonderful experience and met and bonded with countless wonderful people (my big and little sisters, my sands, etc.). Little did I know, I was truly in Disney World with regards viewing myself and the world. I had little knowledge that I truly was neither talented nor capable of much, and that people could be truly cruel. Sometime, after graduating from college, I must have been dropped from my line, my number taken away (it was 46), and excluded. I believe I was dropped because I had considerable difficulty functioning in the real adult world, and because I was neither achieving at the level I was supposed to nor upholding the three principles of Delta (sisterhood, scholarship, and leadership). I continued my public service endeavors post college, but the principle I truly failed at was leadership. I also probably failed at sisterhood due to my being awkward socially, shy, and completely average looking. Face it, I was a fake, but I do not believe that I deserved their mistreatment. I had worked hard to achieve the three above principles on the campus where I became a member.

My question is as follows: “Among Delta or across the African-American Greek system is the practice of dropping individuals from lines once initiated widespread?” (I know that people drop line, but to drop someone unknowingly after they were initiated is a cruel and brutal act). An alternative would have been to have me keep my number, but rearrange the line as need be if there was further pledging. Also, at least have the decency to call me on the phone or email me and say that you are dropping me permanently from the line. Therefore, I will know to not wear any letters on campus or in the surrounding community. I will also know not to make a fool out of myself saying or writing on a card that I am “The Nutty Professor” , number 46 from Gamma Iota chapter. Unfortunately, I just came to this realization and I am going to need time to process this information and then move on to forgive those who trespassed against me. As I want people to forgive me, I should likewise do the same.