GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Fraternity Recruitment

Fraternity Recruitment Recruitment event ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.


Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:
 
Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

  I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 302,974
Threads: 114,351
Posts: 2,153,406
Welcome to our newest member, MelanieP
» Online Users: 254
3 members and 251 guests
LightnAiry, MelanieP, rmonclermc10071
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-29-2018, 06:48 PM
deerpwak deerpwak is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 3
Am I going to get cut?

So yesterday I came back from a frat dinner pretty upset. There were about 30 or so guys (the number of guys theyíre hoping to take in) and we all had to tell a funny story. Well me being me I completely blew it and it wasnít all that funny. As other people were going I noticed a brother in the back was writing things down as each rushee spoke. This leads me to believe that Iíll get cut because I didnít tell a story as good as the others. I know it sounds stupid, but what are the possible outcomes out of this situation?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-29-2018, 07:29 PM
PhilTau PhilTau is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Oregon
Posts: 116
1) You don't get a bid and you join another fraternity.

2) You get a bid. (Nobody noticed your story wasn't funny because they were all probably lame.)

The guy writing stuff down was probably taking notes because he was likely connected to new member education and was taking notes so he can remember something about each of you. Generally, kids going through rush need to calm down and relax.

Edited to add: The fact that the fraternity got all 30 of its potential new members together like this should be commended. You (the OP) need to think about the other 29 guys in the room and ask yourself: Do I fit in with this group of guys? Do I like them? Are they a fun group? Would I want my sister date one of them? etc. This is important because (to you) these 30 guys will be your fraternity. You will be closer to them than the current actives. You will double date with them and sit with them at football games and formals. They will become your best friends while you are in school. And when you graduate, likely be the only reason you will return for homecomings. They could likely be your groomsmen and, God forbid, your pallbearers at you funeral. So make sure, before you commit to joining, that you truly like the 30 guys with who you may be pledging.

Last edited by PhilTau; 01-29-2018 at 10:11 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-29-2018, 10:37 PM
deerpwak deerpwak is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilTau View Post
1) You don't get a bid and you join another fraternity.

2) You get a bid. (Nobody noticed your story wasn't funny because they were all probably lame.)

The guy writing stuff down was probably taking notes because he was likely connected to new member education and was taking notes so he can remember something about each of you. Generally, kids going through rush need to calm down and relax.

Edited to add: The fact that the fraternity got all 30 of its potential new members together like this should be commended. You (the OP) need to think about the other 29 guys in the room and ask yourself: Do I fit in with this group of guys? Do I like them? Are they a fun group? Would I want my sister date one of them? etc. This is important because (to you) these 30 guys will be your fraternity. You will be closer to them than the current actives. You will double date with them and sit with them at football games and formals. They will become your best friends while you are in school. And when you graduate, likely be the only reason you will return for homecomings. They could likely be your groomsmen and, God forbid, your pallbearers at you funeral. So make sure, before you commit to joining, that you truly like the 30 guys with who you may be pledging.
Should I not be worried? I mean is it possible to be cut cause my stroy was so bad? I guess itís kinda silly because I got to talk to the brothers and get to know them and got invited to the dinner. Just super nervous is all.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-30-2018, 01:05 AM
ASTalumna06 ASTalumna06 is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Oahu, Hawaii
Posts: 5,648
Quote:
Originally Posted by deerpwak View Post
So yesterday I came back from a frat dinner pretty upset. There were about 30 or so guys (the number of guys they’re hoping to take in) and we all had to tell a funny story. Well me being me I completely blew it and it wasn’t all that funny. As other people were going I noticed a brother in the back was writing things down as each rushee spoke. This leads me to believe that I’ll get cut because I didn’t tell a story as good as the others. I know it sounds stupid, but what are the possible outcomes out of this situation?
Quote:
Originally Posted by deerpwak View Post
Should I not be worried? I mean is it possible to be cut cause my stroy was so bad? I guess it’s kinda silly because I got to talk to the brothers and get to know them and got invited to the dinner. Just super nervous is all.
You could be cut for any number of reasons, and unless someone here on Greekchat is in that chapter, we can't tell you why. And even if we could, we wouldn't - membership selection is private.

However, if a chapter cuts you based solely on how unfunny your story is, methinks you should move on (and fast) and not be too upset about it. That would be a pretty ridiculous way for a chapter to determine who their brothers will be. In fact, I think it's pretty ridiculous they put you on the spot like that to begin with.
__________________
I believe in the values of friendship and fidelity to purpose

@~/~~~~
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-30-2018, 01:17 AM
PhilTau PhilTau is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Oregon
Posts: 116
They can cut someone for no reason whatsoever.

Keep in mind what is important - that they like you. It is difficult to imagine any story being so bad that they cut someone just because of it. Typically, fraternities cut people that they collectively do not like. Normal fraternities do not view rush as a competition among rushees on who gets invited to join. They give bids to people they like. If they like everyone, they will give bids to everyone. If they don't like you, you will not get a bid. Pretty simple.

What I tried to say is that right now you should be deciding on whether this particular group is for you, with a focus on who may be in your new member (pledge) class, and let them decide whether you are for them. It's a two-way street.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-30-2018, 09:57 AM
Kevin Kevin is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Posts: 18,163
If they invited you to an event where they fed you and asked you to address the group, it's probably because they want to persuade you to accept a bid. I don't see them going through a ton of effort and expense just to cut you.

What you should be asking yourself is whether this is the place you want to spend the next 4-5 years and possibly devote a lifetime of service to.
__________________
SN -SINCE 1869-
"EXCELLING WITH HONOR"
S N E T T
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:49 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.