GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,042
Threads: 115,496
Welcome to our newest member, prettyandpearls
» Online Users: 1,894
1 members and 1,893 guests
Pinkmagnolia921

Old 01-11-2018, 10:06 AM

Alpha Kappa Lambda Eliminates Pledging

Alpha Kappa Lambda fraternity has announced an immediate elimination of their pledging process.

New members are to go through a 3 day/night education experience and are required to go through ritual initiation within 120 hours of pledging.

http://akl.org/akl-new-member-progra...-our-chapters/

"Why is Alpha Kappa Lambda making this change?
Over recent years the new member programs run by many of our chapters have been more detrimental than positive. Despite expanded education and resources hazing incidents have increased substantially. Retention rates have also started to drop. Academics reports for new members tend to be lower than the chapters. Eliminating pledge programs should significantly reduce many ills our chapters have been experiencing"

I'll support the RedWolves, but in my heart I'll always be an ASU Indian. Go Tribe! (1931-2008)
Old 01-11-2018, 10:21 AM
Super Moderator

If that's what they think will keep them relevant. As an aside, I've never seen such a transparent organization. Want to see the recruitment/retention statistics, outstanding Omega Fi contracts and balances due to HQ from each chapter? They make that stuff public.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 01-11-2018, 11:01 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
If that's what they think will keep them relevant. As an aside, I've never seen such a transparent organization. Want to see the recruitment/retention statistics, outstanding Omega Fi contracts and balances due to HQ from each chapter? They make that stuff public.
That's something I noticed when I was talking with a couple friends in TKE about their top chapters-there is so much information about each chapter publicly available on their website that I've never seen ADPi release. You can see why the top TKE chapters are the top, or at least see some of the numbers that go into the rankings, but the ADPi process is very opaque.
Old 01-11-2018, 11:10 AM
Super Moderator

I could understand why organizations would release information about their "top" houses. Some of those top tier houses are riddled with RM or drug issues which aren't going to present on paper until you have sexual assaults being reported or someone is died or injured to to hazing and/ore substance abuse. Showing that top chapters are "top" is sort of like marketing a race horse which is the perfect size/weight, has a great record, while ignoring and not disclosing its inoperable cancer.
Old 01-11-2018, 11:26 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I could understand why organizations would release information about their "top" houses. Some of those top tier houses are riddled with RM or drug issues which aren't going to present on paper until you have sexual assaults being reported or someone is died or injured to to hazing and/ore substance abuse. Showing that top chapters are "top" is sort of like marketing a race horse which is the perfect size/weight, has a great record, while ignoring and not disclosing its inoperable cancer.
Well in the example I mention you can see all the chapter statistics, not just the best ones. I cite it in contrast to ADPi where there are no statistics provided for any chapters. Although to be frank I've not seen any NPC sororities post statistics like AKL or TKE publicly.

http://www.tke.org/chapter-rankings

I also like the way some NPHC groups post their membership and chapter suspensions or expulsions. If you think a chapter isn't on the up-and-up, or that someone is lying about being a member in good standing, the whole world can check online and confirm.
http://www.sgrho1922.org/expulsions-suspensions
Old 01-11-2018, 11:33 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemsongirl View Post
Well in the example I mention you can see all the chapter statistics, not just the best ones. I cite it in contrast to ADPi where there are no statistics provided for any chapters. Although to be frank I've not seen any NPC sororities post statistics like AKL or TKE publicly.

http://www.tke.org/chapter-rankings

I also like the way some NPHC groups post their membership and chapter suspensions or expulsions. If you think a chapter isn't on the up-and-up, or that someone is lying about being a member in good standing, the whole world can check online and confirm.
Wait... TKE ranks their chapters?!

@~/~~~~
Old 01-11-2018, 11:49 AM
Super Moderator

Take those numbers with a grain of salt. My internal information on the TKE chapter is vastly different. I won't give up confidential materials, but considering how different the number is, I find it hard to think any of that is reliable.
Old 01-11-2018, 10:22 PM
Super Moderator

Question

Quote:
..... As an aside, I've never seen such a transparent organization. ...
Would Delta Upsilon fall into that same category since they are non-secret?
Old 01-12-2018, 02:27 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Dayum 😳
Old 01-12-2018, 01:54 PM
Super Moderator

Yeah, wow. I guess that is one way to take care of ex-member perps.
Old 01-12-2018, 01:59 PM

Send a message via AIM to shadokat Send a message via Yahoo to shadokat
holy shit on SGR! It even says banned POTENTIAL members!

In my experience, the men are way less secretive about information than women. For whatever reason, sororities think that everything they do is a secret. It's sorta silly, but whatever
Old 01-12-2018, 04:49 PM
Super Moderator

Thumbs up

Yeah, we don't play and neither do DST, AKA and Zeta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by APhi2KD View Post
Dayum 😳
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadokat View Post
holy shit on SGR! It even says banned POTENTIAL members!

Quote:

Old 01-15-2018, 08:53 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JonInKC
Quote:
Take those numbers with a grain of salt. My internal information on the TKE chapter is vastly different. I won't give up confidential materials, but considering how different the number is, I find it hard to think any of that is reliable.
What exactly is TKE lying about? It's kind of convenient that you can't cite anything because muh confidential sources.

p a w e a since 1899

Last edited by JonInKC; 01-15-2018 at 09:00 AM.
Old 01-15-2018, 09:05 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInKC View Post
What exactly is TKE lying about? It's kind of convenient that you can't cite anything because muh confidential sources.
I receive confidential sources because I am a chapter adviser at my alma mater. On a semesterly basis, I receive membership and grade information for every FSL organization on campus which has more than one member. With regard to our TKE chapter, I'm in dangerous proximity to not receiving grade information for that chapter due to membership concerns. 26 members as reported on that website is #fakenews.

Last edited by Kevin; 01-15-2018 at 09:11 AM.
Old 01-15-2018, 09:13 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JonInKC
Quote:
I receive confidential sources because I am a chapter adviser at my school. Let me just tell you--the website's info is WAY off. Unless you think I'm lying?
What are they lying about? I don't know you. Why should I believe what some person on the internet who says he is a Sigma Nu says about TKE?

p a w e a since 1899