GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.


Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:
 
Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

  I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 298,813
Threads: 114,175
Posts: 2,151,012
Welcome to our newest member, doumhfxyfk
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-28-2017, 01:30 AM
betelgeuse betelgeuse is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 5
Question About Competitive Recruitments

Hi! I do not attend an SEC school or any school that has ultra competitive recruitment, but as I am from the North and know very little about Greek Life besides what I've read on this website in the past few months, I'm fascinated by large Greek systems and competitive recruitments.

I was watching the University of Arkansas Bid Day 2016 video, and the Director of Greek Life stated that something like 1650 girls registered for recruitment, and a little over 1400 bids were extended(my numbers may be off, though). To someone who isn't very knowledgeable about SEC recruitment like me, 1400/1650 seems pretty good(considering there had to have been some girls who withdrew earlier in the week or maybe even a few who didn't show up to recruitment at all).

So my question is this: What exactly is it that makes these large recruitments so competitive? Do a lot of girls not get bids to their #1 choice chapter?

Disclaimer: I hope this thread doesn't come across like I'm challenging what everyone on Greek Chat has been saying for years! I certainly believe you all when you say SEC recruitment is competitive. I'm just trying to fill in the blanks! Thanks!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-28-2017, 07:25 AM
carnation carnation is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Georgia
Posts: 11,116
Remember that the sororities are the main ones who select, never the PNMs, who merely select from what they have left.
__________________
"Yo ho, yo ho, over the raging seas we go! Yo ho ho ho, wherever the four winds blow!
HEY!!!"
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-28-2017, 11:44 AM
irishpipes's Avatar
irishpipes irishpipes is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Reddest of the red
Posts: 4,220
I think the word competitive is the key. Yes, the placement rates at these competitive schools tends to be VERY high. But, getting matched through the process is not the same thing as having a dream recruitment where a PNM has much control over her invitations.

May of these schools have ages-old tier structures and an entrenched pecking order. It usually takes knowing the right people and playing the game to receive a bid to these chapters. It is my personal belief, based on experience with these types of recruitments, that this situation actually makes the "lower tier" chapters very strong in comparison to chapters at schools with less-competitive recruitments. This is because many smart, beautiful PNMs pledge those chapters. They have incredible attributes, but lack the social connections to be bid by the perceived higher-tiered chapters. They may be PNMs from smaller towns or OOS, or just not from an "old family" in the nearby metro areas. These competitive recruitments tend to have incredibly strong chapters from top to bottom. Typically, there is no weak chapter on campus.
__________________
Adding 's does not make a word, not even an acronym, plural
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-28-2017, 12:22 PM
clemsongirl clemsongirl is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: colonial thrilliamsburg
Posts: 1,826
I think there's also much more preparation involved in a competitive recruitment. A PNM who signs up on the last day possible with no recommendations, knowing no one and not preparing outfits or for how exhausting it can be visiting 15+ chapters over two days both physically and mentally is probably going to have a rough time.

And, in some very competitive recruitments, sophomores, transfers, and especially women going through recruitment again historically do not do well.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-28-2017, 10:44 PM
betelgeuse betelgeuse is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by carnation View Post
Remember that the sororities are the main ones who select, never the PNMs, who merely select from what they have left.
That's definitely the first thing I learned when I started lurking on this site!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-28-2017, 10:45 PM
betelgeuse betelgeuse is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishpipes View Post
I think the word competitive is the key. Yes, the placement rates at these competitive schools tends to be VERY high. But, getting matched through the process is not the same thing as having a dream recruitment where a PNM has much control over her invitations.

May of these schools have ages-old tier structures and an entrenched pecking order. It usually takes knowing the right people and playing the game to receive a bid to these chapters. It is my personal belief, based on experience with these types of recruitments, that this situation actually makes the "lower tier" chapters very strong in comparison to chapters at schools with less-competitive recruitments. This is because many smart, beautiful PNMs pledge those chapters. They have incredible attributes, but lack the social connections to be bid by the perceived higher-tiered chapters. They may be PNMs from smaller towns or OOS, or just not from an "old family" in the nearby metro areas. These competitive recruitments tend to have incredibly strong chapters from top to bottom. Typically, there is no weak chapter on campus.
Huh, I didn't think about it that way. I almost wish I could watch a competitive SEC recruitment from a 3rd person perspective and follow a bunch of different PNMs with different backgrounds. Someone needs to make a documentary of that!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-28-2017, 10:49 PM
betelgeuse betelgeuse is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by clemsongirl View Post
I think there's also much more preparation involved in a competitive recruitment. A PNM who signs up on the last day possible with no recommendations, knowing no one and not preparing outfits or for how exhausting it can be visiting 15+ chapters over two days both physically and mentally is probably going to have a rough time.

And, in some very competitive recruitments, sophomores, transfers, and especially women going through recruitment again historically do not do well.
Some of them are so long! I can imagine it's exhausting for PNMs and for the active sisters especially for the ones that are 9-10+ days long. Props to those girls for getting through it
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-29-2017, 01:06 PM
Sciencewoman's Avatar
Sciencewoman Sciencewoman is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Michigan
Posts: 3,786
Quote:
Originally Posted by betelgeuse View Post
Huh, I didn't think about it that way. I almost wish I could watch a competitive SEC recruitment from a 3rd person perspective and follow a bunch of different PNMs with different backgrounds. Someone needs to make a documentary of that!
That's one "reality show" that the NPC and member organizations and universities will never allow. Others have thought of similar ideas, and they've been quickly nipped in the bud. It would be invasive of PNM privacy and membership selection.

The Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders selection show didn't pave the way for a sorority recruitment documentary.
__________________
Gamma Phi Beta
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-29-2017, 09:40 PM
DubaiSis DubaiSis is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Back in the Heartland
Posts: 5,383
Placement rates are very good and every chapter is huge at all of the SEC schools. If you can go in happy to participate and happy with all of your invitations and eventual placement, then it doesn't need to be brutal. But the bubble that is an SEC rush means you get sucked into the vortex and all that other stuff (who has the best songs, who's video is the most moving, who has the best events with which fraternities) becomes way more important than the thought of making friends. If you can fight that you will win the day.
__________________
"Traveling - It leaves you speechless, then turns you into a storyteller. ~ Ibn Battuta
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-30-2017, 12:59 AM
thetalady's Avatar
thetalady thetalady is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Big D
Posts: 2,599
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sciencewoman View Post
That's one "reality show" that the NPC and member organizations and universities will never allow. Others have thought of similar ideas, and they've been quickly nipped in the bud. It would be invasive of PNM privacy and membership selection.
Believe it or not, a production company followed Ole Miss rush in the fall of 1979 and made a documentary about it. I never saw it, but I know that it was released. I thank God that Mark Kay Place was the director of the film and is a Theta. And that's all that I am going to say about that!!!
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 07-30-2017, 12:21 PM
tcsparky tcsparky is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: near charlotte, nc, usa
Posts: 362
Send a message via AIM to tcsparky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sciencewoman View Post
That's one "reality show" that the NPC and member organizations and universities will never allow. Others have thought of similar ideas, and they've been quickly nipped in the bud. It would be invasive of PNM privacy and membership selection.

The Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders selection show didn't pave the way for a sorority recruitment documentary.
But it is just as addictive as some of our Recruitment threads!!!
__________________
ΑΞΔ - - - Alpha Xi Delta
It's not what you've just become, but what you've always been.
You.... have chosen to act as a snarky asshat- KATMANDU
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 07-30-2017, 05:10 PM
LXA SE285 LXA SE285 is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 720
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetalady View Post
Believe it or not, a production company followed Ole Miss rush in the fall of 1979 and made a documentary about it. I never saw it, but I know that it was released. I thank God that Mark Kay Place was the director of the film and is a Theta. And that's all that I am going to say about that!!!
When I was in high school and starting my college search, I bought a copy (which I still have) of Lisa Birnbach's College Book, by the author of The Official Preppy Handbook. The profile of Ole Miss mentioned this documentary, and it quoted someone in student affairs who claimed that a young woman from Ireland saw it and was inspired to enroll at Ole Miss and go through rush.

I wish it were up on YouTube, because it sounds fascinating.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
UGa Spring Recruitments carnation Sorority Recruitment 6 05-13-2013 02:17 PM
Super Competitive Recruitments 2012 Meta-Thread 28StGreek Sorority Recruitment 70 08-03-2012 01:56 AM
Big 12 Recruitments oldrusheenowmom Sorority Recruitment 122 08-30-2007 07:02 AM
How did everyones recruitments go? Wshcomtrue Alpha Sigma Alpha 0 09-21-2005 08:18 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:44 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.