GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,165
1 members and 1,164 guests
Low D Flat

Old 02-26-2017, 12:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by breathesgelatin View Post
I have heard from sources I trust that the Kappa Delta chapter at Washington and Lee University has voted to disaffiliate with their nationals and become a local org. As a W&L alum (though not a KD) I am saddened by this news.

I am guessing more news is to follow in the week to come.
The last I heard, about 10 days ago, was that KD nationals is not closing the chapter and their alumnae are very unhappy with the chapter's vote. I'm not sure what that will mean going forward.

I also know that NPC has been involved and all chapters had national representatives on campus in January. I will PM you.
Old 02-26-2017, 01:39 PM
Super Moderator

Can a chapter vote to close without an okay from their nationals?
Old 02-26-2017, 03:21 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm taking this to mean, "Don't let the door hit you on the way out, renegade current members. We'll still be here with new members." And/or, "You still have time to reconsider your action, because we're not pulling the charter."
Old 02-26-2017, 04:05 PM
GreekChat Member

https://www.wlu.edu/student-life/stu...-organizations

W&L sure seems to think the current chapter no longer exists. I'm surprised they didn't tell the chapter "we don't recognize locals, you're on your own". I hope KD is able to recolonize the chapter and keep the women who still want to stay in it. This must be especially hard on the new members who joined the chapter last month thinking they were getting Kappa Delta and now are something else entirely.
Old 02-26-2017, 04:40 PM
GreekChat Member

I think they are opening a Pandora's box by recognizing the local org.
Old 02-26-2017, 05:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to breathesgelatin Send a message via AIM to breathesgelatin Send a message via MSN to breathesgelatin Send a message via Yahoo to breathesgelatin
I am quite surprised that W&L is willing to allow a local GLO. Pandora's box might be a good phrase for it. Especially given what I have heard about the reasons for disaffiliating...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUZeta View Post
On a brighter note, Hi Breathesgeletin!
Hi!!!!

Last edited by breathesgelatin; 02-26-2017 at 06:46 PM.
Old 02-27-2017, 08:41 AM
GreekChat Member

Lots of chapters in the northeast went local in the 60s and 70s. Particularly on good liberal arts college campuses. Not saying it's a good idea just a fact.
Old 02-27-2017, 08:59 AM

Send a message via AIM to shadokat Send a message via Yahoo to shadokat
Delta Phi Epsilon colonized yesterday at the University of Rhode Island with around 120 members. Congrats ladies!
Old 02-27-2017, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xidelt View Post
I think they are opening a Pandora's box by recognizing the local org.
Actually, they're smart to do so, because this gives them some dominion over it. When you just cover your ears and say "lalalalala!! Can't hear you local GLO, so you don't exist!" things are much more likely to get out of hand. Google "Plymouth State" for a really glaring example of this.

If this is something that they didn't involve the alumnae in, that is all kinds of really not cool.
Old 02-27-2017, 02:02 PM
GreekChat Member

KD did close the chapter until such time as they are able to come back. Stay tuned.
Old 02-27-2017, 02:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to breathesgelatin Send a message via AIM to breathesgelatin Send a message via MSN to breathesgelatin Send a message via Yahoo to breathesgelatin
Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Actually, they're smart to do so, because this gives them some dominion over it. When you just cover your ears and say "lalalalala!! Can't hear you local GLO, so you don't exist!" things are much more likely to get out of hand. Google "Plymouth State" for a really glaring example of this.

If this is something that they didn't involve the alumnae in, that is all kinds of really not cool.
Don't disagree with the first part, recognized locals would clearly be better than underground locals; but W&L is a private school and thus has a lot of lane to basically ban local orgs.

My understanding is alumnae were not fully informed. So... that's crazy.

This article might help provide some context.
http://www.wluspectator.com/blog/201...-to-greek-life

"Tear Night" is W&L's name for fraternity bid day...
Old 02-27-2017, 02:40 PM

If that's the main impetus for their breaking away and nothing else, I would think that they would die out quickly - they'll ensure their own unpopularity with the other sororities if their M.O. is "hey fraternity, we can mix with alcohol and ABC can't. "

I agree 100% with the gender inequality issues raised in the article, but nothing will change if all chapters aren't united and it's used as a social bargaining chip.
Old 02-27-2017, 03:49 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by breathesgelatin View Post
I am quite surprised that W&L is willing to allow a local GLO. Pandora's box might be a good phrase for it. Especially given what I have heard about the reasons for disaffiliating...
I agree. And I'd love to hear about the reasons for disaffiliating!

Quote:
Hi!!!!
Another Hi, good to see you!
Old 02-27-2017, 05:50 PM
GreekChat Member

I think they bring up some interesting points. That being said, coming from a Southern chapter, with a house, I would never want to have parties in our house. The fraternity houses get gross, especially considering people who can't hold their alcohol. Still in favor of them hosting the parties, and us getting to go back to our nice, clean houses. Boys paid for mixers, including transportation to and from, and we paid for our formals, crush parties, date nights, etc. Busses are not that difficult to hire.
Old 02-27-2017, 07:48 PM

Aren't mixers much more frequent than formals, crush parties and/or date nights? Do any of those things entail only one fraternity being in attendance?

I don't want to get this thread on a tangent, but it seems to me that this comparison is apples and oranges.