GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Sigma > Sigma Tau Gamma


Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:
 
Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

  I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 298,942
Threads: 114,174
Posts: 2,151,063
Welcome to our newest member, davidwilla
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-31-2016, 03:26 PM
ChioLu ChioLu is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: SoCal
Posts: 930
STG suspends Central Arkansas chapter for offensive Halloween costume

Fraternity members dresses as Bill Cosby in blackface.

https://www.yahoo.com/beauty/student...155922032.html

update: sorry, STG! Slightly dyslexic

Last edited by ChioLu; 10-31-2016 at 03:32 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-01-2016, 08:41 AM
naraht naraht is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Rockville,MD,USA
Posts: 2,953
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChioLu View Post
Fraternity members dresses as Bill Cosby in blackface.

https://www.yahoo.com/beauty/student...155922032.html

update: sorry, STG! Slightly dyslexic
Anyone else find it bizarre that the yahoo article is in the Beauty section and done by a Style and Beauty Writer?
__________________
Because "undergrads, please abandon your national policies and make something up" will end well --KnightShadow
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-02-2016, 10:13 AM
Kevin Kevin is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Posts: 18,049
Quote:
“I am the farthest thing from discrimination [sic],” he wrote. “As a matter of fact, I fight for equality every day. I have been writing a book for two years on what it really means to be a good person. … I am by no means better than anybody else. Social media has corrupted society in regard to heated controversial topics such as this.”
I don't know if this was intentionally quoted to make the guy seem like a weirdo, but a ~19 year old kid writing a book for two years on what it really means to be a good person? Sounds like riveting stuff right there.
__________________
SN -SINCE 1869-
"EXCELLING WITH HONOR"
S N E T T
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-02-2016, 03:17 PM
Tom Earp Tom Earp is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Kansas City, Kansas USA
Posts: 22,658
What gets me is what people call racism!

Maybe, sometimes it is with respect!! Went to as party painted as the jolly green giant and the amazon. I was painted green and my girl friend in brown with a bone in her hair as the amazon! It was from a song and not racist at all!
Is it respect or not that is the question!

I for one and really tired of all this Bull Shit!Everything like this so over blown I want to puke!
__________________
LCA


LX Z # 1
Alumni
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-03-2016, 11:01 AM
Kevin Kevin is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Posts: 18,049
I'm not sure where public schools think it's okay to punish speech, but in this case, when done in conjunction with the national organization, I think they're well within their power to request an organization discipline itself. As for expelling students for being racist morons, I think that's another thing entirely. Schools can't simply expel students for speech alone or simply because someone is upset or threatened by the speech. That's blatantly unconstitutional. The cure for offensive speech is more speech.
__________________
SN -SINCE 1869-
"EXCELLING WITH HONOR"
S N E T T
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-03-2016, 12:14 PM
Tom Earp Tom Earp is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Kansas City, Kansas USA
Posts: 22,658
I should have included if there was any intent or not? That should be a major question brought up.

Kevin, I could not agree with you more!
__________________
LCA


LX Z # 1
Alumni
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-04-2016, 10:10 AM
Sen's Revenge Sen's Revenge is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 874
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Earp View Post
What gets me is what people call racism!

Maybe, sometimes it is with respect!! Went to as party painted as the jolly green giant and the amazon. I was painted green and my girl friend in brown with a bone in her hair as the amazon! It was from a song and not racist at all!
Is it respect or not that is the question!

I for one and really tired of all this Bull Shit!Everything like this so over blown I want to puke!
That's actually racist. You don't have to believe it for it to be so. You also don't have to care that it is racist, but that's indeed what it was.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-04-2016, 03:01 PM
Tom Earp Tom Earp is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Kansas City, Kansas USA
Posts: 22,658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sen's Revenge View Post
That's actually racist. You don't have to believe it for it to be so. You also don't have to care that it is racist, but that's indeed what it was.
And you know this how? Were you in this persons mind or just surmising what he ment when he did it?

If and only if you say things like this, then what you are saying that any one who makes a statement against any race, gender, or religion can be called a racist! Is this correct?

I have a question for you??

Have you ever dated any one out side of your race or religion? I have but you probably never have! Is there anything that you do not like out of your comfort zone? I would imagine yes!
__________________
LCA


LX Z # 1
Alumni
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-05-2016, 12:32 PM
KDCat KDCat is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: St. Louis, Missouri
Posts: 1,371
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Earp View Post
And you know this how? Were you in this persons mind or just surmising what he ment when he did it?

If and only if you say things like this, then what you are saying that any one who makes a statement against any race, gender, or religion can be called a racist! Is this correct?

I have a question for you??

Have you ever dated any one out side of your race or religion? I have but you probably never have! Is there anything that you do not like out of your comfort zone? I would imagine yes!
It is a racist message regardless of how the person sending it meant it. The meaning of that message has been established in our society. It has a racist effect. It denigrates other people and cultures. You might not have meant to do that and might have done it because you are ignorant, rather than cruel, but it is still racist.

And lots of racists date outside their race. Strom Thurmand had an AA daughter. That doesn't make him a good man.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-07-2016, 02:37 PM
Tom Earp Tom Earp is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Kansas City, Kansas USA
Posts: 22,658
It seems today, that every one wants to throw the RACIST CARD OUT WAY TO MUCH!

So, if I do not care for a female neighbor or her dog, am I racist against females and dogs?

Or the guy across the street rides a motor cycle and has A pony tail, does that mean I am racist against pony tales and motor cycles?

Way to many people go way over the bounds of throwing words out acuseing people of things because of ignorance.

There is a difference between ignorant or just plain dumb!!!

What catagory do you fit in?
__________________
LCA


LX Z # 1
Alumni
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 11-07-2016, 02:51 PM
SWTXBelle's Avatar
SWTXBelle SWTXBelle is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Land of Chaos
Posts: 8,922
Females - not a race.
Dogs - not a race. Species,yes.
Motorcycle riders - not a race.
Pony tails - not a race.

Prejudiced against females - sexism.
Prejudiced against dogs - speciesism
Prejudiced against motorcycle riders - probably classism.
Prejudiced against pony tails - I don't even know.

Ignorance or dumb?
__________________
Gamma Phi Beta
Courtesy is owed, respect is earned, love is given.
Proud daughter AND mother of a Gamma Phi. 3 generations of love, labor, learning and loyalty.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 11-28-2016, 02:55 PM
BossLadyAKA BossLadyAKA is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 37
He IS trolling, right? This isn't a legitimate argument. I refuse to believe it to be true.
__________________
Allllllllpha Kappa Allllllllpha Sorority, Innnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnncorporated!
Three times imitated, but NEVER duplicated!
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 02-18-2017, 05:59 PM
sigtau305 sigtau305 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Believeland,Ohio
Posts: 9,011
Send a message via ICQ to sigtau305 Send a message via Yahoo to sigtau305 Send a message via Skype™ to sigtau305
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
I'm not sure where public schools think it's okay to punish speech, but in this case, when done in conjunction with the national organization, I think they're well within their power to request an organization discipline itself. As for expelling students for being racist morons, I think that's another thing entirely. Schools can't simply expel students for speech alone or simply because someone is upset or threatened by the speech. That's blatantly unconstitutional. The cure for offensive speech is more speech.
Everyone in this Thread has made some points about what happened but I also see what our Nationals is trying to do. Everyone has the right to wear what they want on Halloween or any Costume theme event but they also have to realize certain costumes / designs may be not be acceptable to others.

IMO, STG HQ made the call because they feel it was necessary to let everyone know this type of action has no place in the Fraternity. Nationals has posted about the incident on Facebook. Based on the comments posted, Pretty much most members has approved the move.
__________________
Garth J. Lampkin
Sigma Tau Gamma Fraternity,Inc.
Beta Upsilon Chapter
Cleveland State University(Ohio)
2015 NSBE Region IV Professional Member of The Year
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Halloween Costume BobbyTheDon Chit Chat 202 11-06-2009 03:39 AM
your most favorite halloween costume as a kid cutiepatootie Chit Chat 3 11-03-2005 10:43 PM
What was your BEST Halloween costume? Schmeer Chit Chat 25 10-27-2004 12:28 PM
What's your Halloween costume? kddani Chit Chat 41 11-04-2003 06:07 PM
Halloween Costume.. Help!! pledge Greek Life 13 10-19-2002 09:42 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:30 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.