GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 300,256
Threads: 114,210
Welcome to our newest member, fhgfjghjgh

Old 11-08-2016, 10:32 AM
GreekChat Member

Dropping while pledging, whats the nicest way?

what's the best way to drop? i really don't fit in with the brothers but i don't want to hurt them. i can say money but they'll probably just say that i could fundraiser that money if i really wanted this and i should just fundraise the money. what do i even respond to that. any suggestions? any other things to say?

maybe I should say my parents found out about that fraternity and aren't allowing me to join, so if I join another one they wont know the name and I'll be fine but I can't stay in this one.

i go to a pretty big school in texas so i don't think dropping would have big repercussions with rushing other frats in the future if i really just didn't fit in here. But I'm nervous that they'll talk smack to any other fraternity I try to join though and the other fraternity may drop me... Any thoughts?

Last edited by pharoebruh; 11-08-2016 at 12:30 PM.
Old 11-08-2016, 01:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to DGTess
Be honest.

XYZ is not right for me. I respect each of you, but choose not to continue.

Anything less is deserving of blackball from everyone else.
Old 11-08-2016, 02:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pharoebruh View Post
what's the best way to drop? i really don't fit in with the brothers but i don't want to hurt them. i can say money but they'll probably just say that i could fundraiser that money if i really wanted this and i should just fundraise the money. what do i even respond to that. any suggestions? any other things to say?

maybe I should say my parents found out about that fraternity and aren't allowing me to join, so if I join another one they wont know the name and I'll be fine but I can't stay in this one.

i go to a pretty big school in texas so i don't think dropping would have big repercussions with rushing other frats in the future if i really just didn't fit in here. But I'm nervous that they'll talk smack to any other fraternity I try to join though and the other fraternity may drop me... Any thoughts?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGTess View Post
Be honest.

What DGTess said.

If you have no intention of pledging elsewhere, then you should say Greek life is not for you. But it sounds like you want to pursue other chapters in the future, so definitely do NOT lie.

@~/~~~~
Old 11-09-2016, 11:16 AM
GreekChat Member

This is a great life lesson. In your life you will need to quit jobs, break up with women, decline invitations. Lots of things. The best way is honest and succinct. And allow them the opportunity to ask questions. And for the love of god don't do it in a text.
Old 11-09-2016, 02:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGTess View Post
Be honest.

What DGTess said is good. It's always good to be as truthful as possible. But be prepared to diplomatically answer questions about why it's not right for you.

Good form would be to write a letter to the president of the chapter on nice paper formally depledging and explaining your reasons. Be nice. Say they are a great national fraternity, and that you appreciate having the opportunity to join them. Get someone to help you proof read it for grammar and content. Also, send a copy to the fraternity's national office. If you want to keep open the possibility of rejoining them later, say that as well.

Try to tie your depledging to a concrete reason. If relevant to you, possibilities are grades, other activities, other time commitments like needing to work, possible transfer to other school, parents not approving, or other time commitments (whatever they may be).

Then remember, whatever is in your letter is your reason for depledging. That is your story. Stick to it.