GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,123
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zsamulpitt5293
» Online Users: 1,599
1 members and 1,598 guests
No Members online
Closed Thread

Old 09-30-2015, 10:55 PM
Super Moderator

Go Clafoutis!
Old 10-02-2015, 11:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Woohoo can't wait for more!
Old 10-06-2015, 10:57 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag_Sis View Post
Before we begin, I'd just like to warn you all that I won't be posting the name of my sorority at the end of my story. After writing out my entire experience (highly recommended by the way), I realized that I would be far too recognizable if I were to give up which sorority I joined.
Since you have already written out your entire story, maybe you could just post what dish you pledged now. People like to read recruitment stories, but lose interest when installments drag out over several weeks!
Old 10-06-2015, 04:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Sorry y'all! I could have sworn that I posted the rest of my story in the evening last Wednesday but I see that it didn't go through. So here it is:

Pref Day: We can be invited back to 3 chapters with the parties thankfully in the late afternoon-evening. By this point we all had blisters on our feet and sweat stains everywhere but everyone left knew that we had only one day left and we were all super excited for Bid Day!

We got our lists back and I got back Cioppino, Ginger Snaps, and Cioppino! I was really excited to see those houses again, especially because I know in each of those houses there was always a girl to greet me by name who had made an effort to stop and talk to me a few minutes every day. I do know a few girls in my hall who decided to drop out after they got their lists back, but knowing more about them now, I see that they were definitely the types to be rushing "for" a certain sorority and they wouldn't have been happy with the houses on their list. Honestly, I think that if the options are to 1) drop out or 2) be a total witch and constantly complain at a house, then it's probably better for everyone to drop out. Which is fine, because A&M has a ton of different activities and prestigious organizations to join and Greek Life here is only a tiny percentage of the campus but feels a lot larger just because the campus is so large.

I remember standing in line for each of the parties and I was surprised by the mix a lot of us had when it came to the other two parties. I don't know how common it is to have the same 2 or 3 houses for other PNMs, but I don't think anyone had my same 3. I remember about 75% of the other girls standing in line for Cioppino had one other house on their list , and like 40% of the other girls waiting in line for Ginger Snaps had another house in particular. For all you in-the-know people, is this very common for pref party invites?

Cioppino was first, and like before, I kind of knew what to expect because some of the girls that I talked to at skit were kind of hinting about what they were planning on doing, but seeing the entire "production" put together was such a wow moment for me. Everything was just so polished looking, and I was so struck by the power of their sorority. They had like a mini-ceremony, and it was the first time that I kind of understood what made these girls tick and why they did the things they did. I was really touched and spent the rest of the evening talking to the first girl who ever picked me up who had the same course of study as I did. She gave me some great advice at the beginning of rush that I followed all throughout the week, and I definitely felt as if she was someone who could protect me and guide me throughout the 4 years of college.

At Clafoutis I was greeted by the same girl on Philanthropy day who shared a lot of the same passions as I did on food, travel, and the arts. We chatted away, laughing like old friends. At Cioppino I felt as if I was talking to a mentor, but at Clafoutis I felt as if I was talking to a friend and sister. Whereas I would feel sad if I disappointed a mentor, I would feel comfortable taking all of my flaws and my fears to a sister and not feel judged or a burden. At the ceremony, I was struck by how the girl who picked me up talked about how lost she felt on times at a big campus like A&M but found a family in a home away from home for her. I know for a lot of freshmen, they're away from home for the first time, but I'd had experience living away from my parents for months at a time, so I never expected to feel that discomforted living away from home. But still, a lot of what she said struck me because she had the same kind of upbringing that I did, so it felt nice to bond with her over that.

Lastly, I went to Ginger Snaps, and at this point it was already late evening, and the sun was setting and oh my gosh, everyone and everything looks so much more magical at twilight. Walking into this house, the first thing I noted was that everything seemed so cozy, even though it felt like 100 degrees outside. I know I've said that a lot of the houses seem like they had a tight and loving sisterhood, but I think this house took the cake hands down. Ginger Snaps had started out the week kind of neutral in my opinion, but the more that I saw from this house, the more I realized just how great they were. It definitely was more of a slow burn and less of a lightbulb moment for me. The girls were really goofy and funny, but more than any of the other houses, I felt that they were the nicest and the most genuine. I got the feeling that the girls in this house liked each other and pushed each other to be greater and do greater things not to bring "prestige" to the house, but because they knew each others strengths and weaknesses. I also know not to listen to tent-talk, but there was absolutely no one who disliked this house at all. I did think that that says a lot about them that none of the other PNMs had a bad moment there.

When it came time to rank, I actually ranked pretty quickly. I went with the house I liked the most all week long, which was:
1. Clafoutis
2. Ginger Snaps
3. Cioppino

It wasn't until I was on my way home when I began to feel A LOT of doubt. I don't know how many other people go through the feeling that they'd made a huge mistake, but I began to feel it as I walked home. I had just ranked with my gut in an almost knee-jerk way without thinking it over at all. When I stopped to actually think about it, I began to think that maybe I would have been happier at Ginger Snaps. Clafoutis definitely was the louder, more high-energy option, and I worried that maybe my quick fondness for them clouded my judgment.

I was actually really really worried far into the night, but a lot of girls in my hall were equally nervous about their choices, so we all (like 40 PNMs) decided to have a giant sleepover and paint our nails and watch bid day videos (again, for like the 15th time). All 3 of the sororities that I had for pref have blue as one of their colors, so I knew I'd try to pick a color to match
Old 10-06-2015, 05:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Bid Day

Bid Day was in the late afternoon, so a few of my roommates' moms came by to take us to brunch and celebrate with us. No one in my suite got a phone call that morning so we knew all 4 of us were going to receive a bid! I was still nervous and worried that I had made the correct choice, but I told myself that whatever sorority I would have on my bid card, would be a sorority who chose me. I've never been a religious person, but I just told myself that whatever happened would be fate, and I just needed to go with it.

Around 3 we started heading down to where we would receive bids. There was a good deal of panic in me, and I might have tried to cheat by holding the envelope up to the light and trying to see through it. No luck. I kind of put my finger in the fold of the envelope to pre-rip it. At the end of the countdown, I ripped open the envelope and discovered that I had been offered a bid to...

CLAFOUTIS

I immediately started screaming and ran in every which way trying to find my new sisters. Some of my new sisters were girls who I got to know really well chatting in line before parties, some of them I really admired, and I was so glad to find myself in their company. I found my roommates and we took a ton of pictures together (they received bids to Pot Pie, Green Juice, and Ramen) before running off to join the other NMs of my sorority. We were all put on a bus to sorority row and we were greeted by a screaming hoard of girls jumping out in front of the bus.

Now that it's been a little over a month since Bid Day, I am so happy with my choice. Everyone who took the time to talk to me and remember my name still remembers me and our conversations, from the President down to the girl who greeted me on my first day. And even more impressive than the actives who put together an amazing rush, are the rest of PC15. Every day it's been a joy studying with them, crafting with them, and just being our general silly selves. Being in a sorority family really does feel like you're safe and protected in a sea of madness.

I guess another bit of PSA I'll throw out there, is sorority life at A&M seems way more lax than that of others at other Texas schools, and probably more lax than even most SEC schools. "Rankings" are definitely in flux - there is not one sorority who is the infallible and untouchable queen bee over everyone else. I think there's the added benefit that sorority life as a whole at A&M is so new, so there's not a century of "tradition" pushing reputations on the current generation. Of the PNMs I talked to, several were legacies, but not a lot were chapter legacies, which can be a good thing because that allows them the freedom to choose the house that fits them the best. I also dislike stereotypes, but I think that there is definitely a house to be found for every girl. I guess you could say I'm kind of on the "quirky" side of things, but I definitely found my home, and I've met girls in classes and organizations who I didn't know were Greek at first.

And if anyone was wondering about numbers, 1,098 women accepted bids out of approximately 1,400 PNMs who registered (I can't quite remember the number off the top of my head), which I think is roughly the same number as last year.
Old 10-06-2015, 11:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Congratulations on finding your home!
Old 10-07-2015, 12:19 AM
GreekChat Member

I'm so glad you found your home in Clafoutis. Congratulations!
the confidence in our actions,
and the purpose in our hearts.
Old 10-07-2015, 04:01 AM

Congratulations on Clafoutis! To answer your question, yes, there are sometimes chapters who "cross-rush" a lot.
Old 10-07-2015, 09:26 AM
GreekChat Member

Congratulations!!!

Thanks for coming back to finish your story...it was very well-written and I enjoyed reading it!
Old 10-07-2015, 09:35 AM
GreekChat Member

Now I'm really curious who Clafoutis is. You can't do that to a sister!
Old 10-07-2015, 09:56 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
I was more curious WHAT clafoutis is. I just learned something new about French desserts.
Old 10-07-2015, 11:54 AM
GreekChat Member

Huge congratulations to you AND Clafoutis - they are lucky to have you, IMO!

Thanks for a well-written, thoughtful story. Appreciated your insights, especially on legacies and "tiers" and "tent talk". Your initiation must be coming up soon; it is another magical experience. Keep in touch, if you think of us every so often.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 10-07-2015, 04:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby View Post
I was more curious WHAT clafoutis is. I just learned something new about French desserts.
I'm sad that it's the end of cherry season now, but that dish is one of my favorite desserts. I absolutely adore creamy, custardy things, and Clafoutis is just one of those things that is satisfying, rustic, nostalgic, and not too sweet. Kind of like the sorority I joined .

I do want to apologize for the delay in finishing the story - I had thought that I posted everything last week but I guess GC logs you out of if you don't post something quick enough. I remember some kind of message telling me to refresh and hit a back button and I was probably rushing and closed my laptop and never double checked to see if it all sent. Whoops!

Well that's my story! I might hang around a bit - this is a neat online Greek community, though I can only speak from the perspective of a really new member in my little part of Texas. Between football, Fall philanthropies, organizations, applications for Summer programs, and oh yeah, CLASSES, I don't nearly have as much time for leisure as I had expected my first semester.
Old 10-07-2015, 11:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Congrats Ag Sis -- great story (and glad we were able to read the end!).

You had me thinking there might be a twist with your second-guessing your decision. Glad it worked out that your decision was the right home for you after all!
Old 10-08-2015, 10:01 AM
GreekChat Member

Congratulations.

I too wish I knew what chapter Clafoutis is.

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." Eleanor Roosevelt
Closed Thread