GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 297,055
Threads: 114,113
Welcome to our newest member, pittynry2252

Old 07-07-2015, 09:35 AM
GreekChat Member

What's up with those clunky chunky shoes that went out of style in the mid-late 90s? They don't make your legs look longer even though the heels are sky high, they just make your feet look blocky like you have Fred Flintstone feet. And they can't be comfortable during a walking and standing event like recruitment. Don't make them a thing again, yuck.
Old 07-07-2015, 10:54 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianaSigKap View Post
Don't make them a thing again, yuck.
Too late....
Old 07-07-2015, 03:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Here's how a 2nd year woman can RUIN her 2nd recruitment at UCLA:
Being stupid on social media - posting photos with drinks (you're 19 & not legal drinking age) or photos with guys with inappropriate comments or poses, immature Twitter names (I remember 1 starting with "whore"), or posting unflattering comments about individual chapters (like one PNM who pledged a house the year prior and dropped, then posting something like "I'm going to do better this time". FYI - she didn't) or campaigning for specific chapters DURING Recruitment.
Low GPA
Lack of activities
Not getting to know ANY sorority women in their 1st year (you don't have to be best friends, just get to know other people ... And not in a stalkerish way)
Being shy
Dressing in an unbecoming way (just avoid anything you'd wear to a club)
Strange conversations with current members during Recruitment (like I posted in "Weird Rush Stories" about the PNM who said James Franco wanted her in his creative writing class so he could stare at her boobs). Steer clear of the 3 B's: Boys, Booze, Bible conversations.
Being cranky or rude (Recruitment is long days for both sides and chapters usually do 1 more party than the PNMs, due to numbers or class schedule, so be considerate)
Having a bad reputation
Going through fall, winter, & spring recruitments and not receiving a bid, but not working on anything (GPA, activities, conversation skills, etc), then going through a 2nd fall rush and thinking the outcome will be different.

Last edited by ChioLu; 07-07-2015 at 10:44 PM.
Old 07-07-2015, 03:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Thank you so much to the UCLA NPC panhellenic sisters for responding. AND I love everything ChioLu wrote in the post above mine (#18 in this thread). Seems like we should sticky that and post it every time someone comes here to ask about going through another recruitment anywhere.

Basically my main piece of advice is: if you are lucky enough to get a bid to ANY chapter, that is your golden ticket and you should take it and run with it.
-robinseggblue
Old 07-07-2015, 10:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by uclaucm View Post
I did read her post and it was very informative. Still wondering how she thinks the experience compares for freshman vs. upper classmen. I've read other posts on the topic which say it is frustrating for the chapters because they feel they have to take upperclassmen that wouldn't get a bid as freshman but the sheer number of upperclassmen that register for recruitment (about 1/3 of total) makes me think that it is similar in terms of competitiveness.
To better answer your question, just to get accepted into UCLA, you have to be a high achiever. So your resume to get in is a great resume for Panhellenic recruitment. To transfer in as an upperclassman, same thing. Having said that, sophomores, juniors, and even seniors, do well because you are competing against a smaller number. For example, in Fall 2015 recruitment, there were 900 PNMs - 600 freshmen, 300 upperclass (roughly). And using last year's approximate numbers, if 12 chapters take the full 20 UC quota (which nearly all do), then 240 total Soph/Jr/Sr pledged. And this doesn't count quota additions. That's about 80% UC who get bids. But you should maximize your options (ie, if you don't get invited back by your favorites, take a second look at the houses you've been invited back to and find new favorites among those. And do that every day.)

I would say the upperclassmen who don't join a sorority are in these three categories: didn't get invited back to their top choices, or had bad grades or bad behavior in their 1st year at UCLA.
Old 07-08-2015, 05:51 PM
GreekChat Member

I kinda love the crop top with the long skirt. It part of the popular boho socal look that is perfect at UCLA
Old 07-08-2015, 05:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilove2shop247 View Post
I kinda love the crop top with the long skirt. It part of the popular boho socal look that is perfect at UCLA
I kind of suspected that might be a socal kind of look.
Old 07-08-2015, 08:44 PM
GreekChat Member

[.

Last edited by uclaucm; 09-08-2015 at 09:18 PM.
Old 07-09-2015, 01:13 AM
GreekChat Member

A quota addition happens when a chapter has already reached quota, but PNMs who were lower on their lists would not have received a bid, even though she went to Pref. So, these PNMs are added to 1 of the sororities they preffed. (Someone with better knowledge can explain those intricate details.). Or if a PNM was only invited to 1 Pref party and was low on that group's list, they would be added as a quota addition, even after that group had met total quota. It's a way to get more women in Greek life and not let PNMs go all through recruitment and not find a home.

With chapters totaling around 170 at UCLA, you'll find plenty of new sisters of all years to become close. Start with the 20+ upperclass women in your New Member class.

I hope you post your recruitment story here after UCLA recruitment is over.

Last edited by ChioLu; 07-09-2015 at 01:16 AM.
Old 09-29-2015, 03:41 PM
GreekChat Member

I hope UCLAucm and uclagirl123 come back and post their recruitment stories.
Pref was last night and bid night is tonight.

It was predicted that freshman quota would be approx 30 and approx. UC about 22. (corrected -- quota turned out to be 63)
Numbers are deceiving though. From the amount of women going to Pref, I know there should be a TON of quota additions. Would not be at all surprised if pledge classes are in the high 60s or more!

And to the fantastically qualified freshman PNM's that didn't get their choice at their current University, guess where they love upperclassman? This year, upper-class women will be close to HALF of the New Member class at UCLA!
It's a great university (US News & World Report Top 25) with lots of transfer students! (Blantant promotion for UCLA)

Last edited by ChioLu; 09-30-2015 at 01:04 PM.