GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 1,627
2 members and 1,625 guests
flamboyanttree, gatordeltapgh

Old 09-20-2013, 07:51 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubaiSis View Post
I've tried 3 times now to type out my nuggets of genius and the site keeps crashing just as I hit enter. grrrrrr. Here I go again...
I think it's time to look at expansion. Hopefully a sorority with a good building plan, complete with parking and all the safety concerns, can get a waiver from city council to build a house to sleep 50 or so. Or maybe they can take over one of the close in fraternity houses. With their history of the revolving door of fraternities getting kicked off for bad behavior, I don't think that's outside the realm of possibility.

But one thing is certain, Iowa's Greek system is hot and growing!
I know a sorority who should expand here :-)
Old 09-20-2013, 12:40 PM
GreekChat Member

So let's say Iowa opens up and all the pieces fall into place, the stars align.. I see that at over time 7 sororities have closed at Iowa. What are the odds one of those seven would come back? Do the nationals like re-colonization rather than going in cold?
Old 09-20-2013, 02:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Found this fun video of the chi -o bid day at Iowa http://youtu.be/BRPkMBysvmU
Old 09-20-2013, 02:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapcat View Post
I also heard that phc is thinking of upping chapter total .... Can anyone verify?
Yes, I believe it will be voted upon by Panhellenic this fall. The choices are to increase chapter total to median chapter size (142) or increase it to average chapter size (134). I do not know how all of the chapters (and their respective national offices) feel about each option.
Old 09-20-2013, 03:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Can't be answered. Based on geography certain sororities might be more interested than others. Same with prior history on this campus. I have a few ideas about who might be interested, but I won't speculate openly on that. Much like being careful about saying too much during pre-rush, wouldn't be prudent to blab here, especially when it's only opinion and I have no say.
Old 09-20-2013, 03:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapcat View Post
So let's say Iowa opens up and all the pieces fall into place, the stars align.. I see that at over time 7 sororities have closed at Iowa. What are the odds one of those seven would come back? Do the nationals like re-colonization rather than going in cold?
No idea, it depends on the organization - their policies, guidelines for (re)colonizing, landscape of the Greek system, etc.
Old 09-20-2013, 09:50 PM
GreekChat Member

I wonder if it would also depend on whether Iowa State were to open for expansion as well in the next year or two, depending on chapter and alumnae supporting the area.
Perhaps it'll be a hootshinpaloozaree. I don't know.
Old 09-21-2013, 03:12 AM
GreekChat Member

I would think the sororities that are successful at ISU would be more interested in expansion at Iowa because they have a solid alumnae base in-state and similar demographics. There are 4 chapters at ISU that are not at Iowa. I'd guess that expansion would most be sought by one or more of those 4 chapters.

Now how do we get the school, the Greek system and the city council to all get on Greekchat, read us, and most importantly DO WHAT WE SAY?
Old 09-21-2013, 07:47 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubaiSis View Post
I would think the sororities that are successful at ISU would be more interested in expansion at Iowa because they have a solid alumnae base in-state and similar demographics. There are 4 chapters at ISU that are not at Iowa. I'd guess that expansion would most be sought by one or more of those 4 chapters.

Now how do we get the school, the Greek system and the city council to all get on Greekchat, read us, and most importantly DO WHAT WE SAY?
Yes, how??????
Old 09-21-2013, 09:10 AM
GreekChat Member

Interesting, I had dinner with my daughter and she said that so far her house hasn't seen a lot of drop outs. But of course it's been a week! I would guess that retention would be a small key in all of this. If a huge chunk stay on and become active members, and next year over 900 rush again.... Wow.

But what's the downside to a new chapter opening? Will the "less popular" houses see a drop in membership? Potentially having them fall into a downward spiral?
Old 09-21-2013, 06:12 PM
GreekChat Member

The downside is the system could accommodate a new chapter right now, but in 5, 10, 15 years, interest drops off and there's suddenly not enough girls to fill the chapter houses. For a new chapter with a $2 or $3 million dollar house in Iowa City and no one who wants to buy it, that would COMPLETELY suck. So you have to balance RIGHT NOW with the long term.

I don't think there is a consistent answer about what happens to the WRC when expansion happens. But I don't think there is a down side to the chapters at Iowa right now. The pledge class sizes are now at right around the size of the houses, and that's not great. You don't want everyone to have to live in, but you want a decent percentage of the chapter living together to make the house worth it. That's my opinion anyway.
Old 08-31-2015, 02:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Does anyone have updates on how recruitment is going at Iowa this year? I heard they had a record number registered, but haven't confirmed that.

Thank you!
Old 08-31-2015, 10:05 PM
GreekChat Member

pearlalum,

Hey, a few weeks ago a SK started a Sigma Kappa Recruitment Results thread and I had posted a few updates in it. Now it has disappeared. Do you know who started it and what might have happened to it?? Thought you might know.
Old 08-31-2015, 10:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Cinder1965 - I'm sorry I do not on both accounts.
Old 09-07-2015, 03:39 PM
GreekChat Member

As we approach the zero hour, I heard the estimated quota is 70. 70! At Iowa. So yes, there is not a single house on campus where all of the sophomores will be able to live in. Time for expansion! I have one or two I'm rooting for, but they better have a housing plan in place. The houses there are beautiful and converting something didn't work the last time/s expansion happened. A large converted residential home cannot compete with a purpose built sorority house, as all of these were, and many 75 years ago and more. But I think there's room for a tear down or two in the vicinity of the other houses.