GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 905
2 members and 903 guests
KDKells

Old 05-26-2015, 05:47 PM
GreekChat Member

A Disney Sidekick Story!

At my university, recruitment is in the spring semester. I never planned on going Greek in college. In fact, I was rather against it. The girls I knew in high school who planned on going Greek were girls that I didn’t get along with, causing me to create a negative connotation. In addition, neither of my parents went Greek. That being said, they were incredibly supportive, pushing me to be open to any possibility of going Greek once I got to school. After a couple weeks of school, I realized that my ideas of Greek were based on stereotypes and that many amazing people at my school were Greek. By Thanksgiving, I had decided to rush come spring semester. Recruitment weekend was the most stressful weekend of my college career, but I wouldn’t change a single thing.

As a major Disney fan and wanna-be princess—as in I have a child size costume of my favorite princess that I wear for Halloween—I figured it would be fitting to use Disney Princesses. However, I realized a lot of people have done that, so I’m going to use Disney sidekicks!

Sven
Raja
Olaf
Sebastian
Meeko
Flounder
Pascal
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 05-26-2015, 05:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Day One—Sisterhood

I was really nervous for my first day of recruitment. While I’m a theatre major, I am a major introvert. Lots of socializing takes up a lot of my energy. Going into recruitment, my mindset was as long as I was true to my values and myself, I would end up where I needed to be. Our campus doesn’t have houses, so recruitment took places in various venues on campus.

Also it should be noted that I’m a dork and researched every sorority and their cause. Volunteering/philanthropy was and still is very important to me.

My first round was Sven. People warned me about the clapping, singing, and snapping. However, when the doors open for Sven, I almost burst into tears due to stimulation overboard. I had a letter of recommendation for Sven, but letters don’t really mean much at my university. I was picked up at the door by one of my very close friend who was a senior theatre major. Since we had met in August, she had wanted me to be an Sven. Sven is the smallest chapter on campus, and being completely honest, is considered bottom tier. However, I had wonderful conversations with all of the girls I spoke to. The girls were incredibly rooted in their sisterhood and made me feel welcomed from when I walked in to walking me out. Upon leaving, I decided I would be happy to return, especially because Sven is incredibly involved and dedicated with their philanthropy.

My second round was Raja. To be honest, it was nice. Nothing too special, I had nice conversation, I would want to come back.

My third round was Olaf . Most girls in my rho-chi group really wanted Olaf , as they are considered top tier. The girl who picked me up actually went to my rival high school. She acted really surprised that we were paired (we’re from out of state), but I knew that they paired us up based on major/hometown/activity. However, we had a really fun conversation on the adjustment from our hometown to our new home. A girl who was my first year retreat leader came up and said hi to me, which was nice. The next girl who I talked to was very funny, as we talked about the struggle of pumping gas. They had two girls who were best friend give a hilarious speech on their friendship in Olaf . When I left the round, I had mixed feelings. While I had really fun conversation with the girls, I felt in my gut that the sorority was really strong recruiters, but not where I would fit in every other day of the year.

My fourth round was Sebastian and provided me with the funniest/strangest experience. This sorority had been on social probation two years ago, known for having a party-girl rep. This concerned me a little, but I rationalized that every group will have people like that and I can’t define a group by the views of others. My first conversation was okay, a little awkward, but decent. I was hopeful that the stereotypes weren’t true. The first girl’s best friend bumped me. As we talked, I asked my standard list of questions, the most important being “What makes your sisterhood/sorority unique?” And the girl gave me the best/worst one-liner of my recruitment experience.
“Well, like we don’t follow the rules, you know?”
I politely smiled but in my head was screaming “wtf.” When I left the house, I knew that Sebastianwas not the house for me. The girls weren’t mean or anything like that, but that girl just left a bad taste in my mouth. Slash, wouldn’t that be a recruitment no-no?

My fifth round was a presentation from the new chapter on campus, Meeko. They were only participating in the first round of recruitment and then holding their own interview process for founding sisters. Their reps from Nationals had been on campus all of first semester to gain an understanding of our unique Greek scene. I really liked their presentation and the alumni I talked to. However, as I didn’t know a lot about the Greek scene, I decided I wouldn’t want to drop out of formal recruitment to interview for them. Being a founding sister was incredibly daunting to me. However, my roommate decided to do so and is very happy to be a founding sister!

The sixth round was Flounder, one of the sororities that I had been interested in since the beginning. This sorority has the most popular/heavily attended philanthropy event on campus. Before recruitment, my RA who I am close with friends with really wanted me to be a Flounder as his fraternity is very close with them and thought I would be a good match. However, I wanted to keep an open mind and form my own opinions. However, the minute I walked in, I felt at home. The girl I talked to first was a girl I was in a show with at the time, so we obviously had a lot to talk about. The girl I talked to next was incredibly sweet and very honest about why Flounder meant so much to her. It meant a lot to me that she was so open and made me feel like I was a sister already. The president gave a hilarious story about what sisterhood meant to her. I didn’t want to leave Flounder at all! When we left, I was beaming!

The last round was Pascal , another sorority that I really loved going into recruitment. They are known for having the highest GPA on campus, which I liked. I also really connected with their philanthropy. I was picked up a girl who was an English major, so it was fun to talk about our favorite books. One of the seniors who I am really close friends with came up to me and gave me a big hug, raving about me to the girl rushing me. However, the two girls who gave the sisterhood speech were the best part of that round, causing both the member and pnms to cry from laughing. All in all, I was incredibly happy with Pascal and hoped to be invited back.

Afterwards, I went back to my rho-chis rank. Our group had break last, which was nice to be done earlier than other groups. I had been taking notes after each house on my phone to help me formulate my ranking and keeping to myself to avoid being swayed by other girls. For our recruitment, we rank our top four and then our first and second alternates. I ranked.

Top Four: Flounder, Pascal , Sven, and Raja.
First Alternate: Olaf .
Second Alternate: Sebastian

I went back to my dorm to call my mom, before crashing incredibly hard. I don’t think I have ever slept so hard.
Old 05-26-2015, 06:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Day 2: Philanthropy

Day Two—Philanthropy

Today’s dress was Snappy Casual, which I have decided is the strangest term ever. I dressed in a pink-Jackie O style dress that my mom bought me for Christmas and the pearls in my grandma bought me for my high school graduation. I walked over to the classroom that held my recruitment group, my stomach in knots. Today, we would return to up to four houses. I reminded myself that I was true to myself the night before and that is all I could do. I felt like I would vomit when they passed out the party invites. They sat on our desk, as we waited to flip them over until everyone had received their card. When I flipped over my card, I was excited and shocked. I was invited back to FOUR houses, the max for the day!

Sven
Sebastian
Flounder
Pascal

I was shocked that I was invited back to Sebastian, as I ranked them dead last and felt very little connection with them. However, I was thrilled to go back to Flounder and Pascal . I was unprepared for the range of emotions that took place following. As we all walked out of the building to our respective rounds, girls were crying, shrieking, and furrowing their brows in anger. I quickly shoved my bid card in my bag, to avoid conversation. I didn’t want to get involved in the politics of recruitment.

Sven As I mentioned in my previous post, Sven'sinvolvement with their philanthropy is incredible, which I loved. I must also mention that even after a whole day of recruitment, the singing and clapping was still overwhelming. We had a cute little craft to do while we watched videos of their philanthropy and a member talked about her personal connection with the organization. While I loved their philanthropy, I felt my conversation lull with the three different girls I talked to. I didn’t feel a strong connection with the girls I talked to. At the end of the round, I felt slightly relieved, because I didn’t know how else to continue the conversation.

Sebastian After yesterday’s train wreck, I tried to keep an open mind, but it was hard. In a way, I had to acknowledge the comments made on day one, but that didn’t define the whole chapter. The girl I talked to had a cool Harry Potter tattoo, so we got to talk about Harry Potter, which is always a plus in my book. I talked to her best friend and roommate afterward, who was also very nice. We watched a video on their philanthropy. This is a very small detail, but Sebastian didn’t have a craft for us, when every other organization that day did. While it’s a small detail, I think having the craft is a thoughtful activity that adds to philanthropy day. I left with a positive experience, but I didn’t feel that Sebastian was the right place for me.

Flounder. Obviously I was most excited about coming back to Flounder. The girl who picked me up the door was a 5’11” bubbly member of E-Board. She was like a real life version of Rapunzel. Now, I am 5’3” and was wearing short heels. She on the other hand was wearing very tall heels. As we walked to the table, we joked about our awkward arm link. I loved her involvement and dedication to Flounder and felt that the conversation was incredibly natural. We didn’t want to stop talking for the video. Flounder’s philanthropy was one that really hit close to home for me, causing me to tear up during the video. I tried to keep it contained, so I wouldn’t be THAT potential new member. I was so sad when I was bumped, but the next two girls I talked to were also so fun to talk to! However, this is when I said the stupidest thing I said during recruitment. I was talking to another a theatre major, when she asked what I would want to do if I didn’t want to be an actress. I started to say that I would want to be a homicide detective. I meant to say because I liked crime shows (Criminal Minds, Castle, Dateline). Instead, due to exhaustion and nerves, I said, “Because I really love homicide.” I quickly realized what I said and backtracked, but the girl laughed and said she understood what I was trying to say. I was still really embarrassed. I didn’t want to leave Flounder at all. When I was getting led out the door, the original girl I talked to hugged me as I left. I felt so at home at Flounder, but tried to stay unattached. I would end up where I need to be.

Finally, I attended Pascal. I got paired up with one of the hilarious girls who gave the speech the day before. We had a fun craft to do, and we had the same quirky sense of humor. Afterwards, I got to talk to her best friend, the one she did the speech with! During my time, their VP of recruitment came over to say hi. I had met her during an open house the previous semester. She said she was super excited to see my name on the list for today. I left with a really good feeling with Pascal, the girls from the day before giving me hugs as I left.

Once again, I had my break last, so I was one of the first girls back in the room. I ranked.
1. Flounder
1. Pascal
2. Sebastian
3. Sven

I managed to convince my RA to go with me to In-N-Out afterwards, eating everything in sight. Immediately upon returning, I crashed hard. PREF WAS TOMORROW.
Old 05-26-2015, 07:15 PM
GreekChat Member

More! more!
Old 05-26-2015, 07:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Day 3-Pref

Day Three--Pref Day.

I had a knot in my stomach the size of Texas when I woke up. I curled my hair, trying to stay calm. That day we would be called back to up to two houses. When I flipped over my bid card, I was called back to two houses…..

Sven
Flounder

I’ll admit, not seeing Pascal stung. I was sure I was going to get called back for Flounder and Pascal. I thought my conversations with Pascal went perfectly! I would later find out that Pascal ranked me high, but Sven ranked me in their top ten for leadership opportunities. As a result of the system, Sven got me for Pref instead of Pascal. However, I decided that it was for the best, because it made my choice a lot easier, since Flounder and Pascal were neck and neck for me. I went to Sven first. We were greeted at the door by the girl who would pref us. As we entered, they told us why they wanted us. I was called back for my passion for sisterhood and leadership. I had talked to the girl who prefed me the day before. While she was very sweet, I felt in my heart that Sven wasn’t the place for me. I wanted to make it work, but it just wasn’t right. As I left, I knew in my heart that Flounder was the right place.

As I walked into Flounder, I felt my heart full. Everyone always told me that you’ll know when you find your sorority. I always thought that was BS. But I felt that at Flounder....and that scared me. I didn’t want to get my hopes up for nothing. The girl who preffed me was the girl who opened up to me on the first day. On our table was a cute little paper with our name, with different words that described us. It was so sweet and thoughtful. As they sang their song and introduced us to their traditions, I felt myself tear up again. I knew once I left that I would rank Flounder first. While I thought about suiciding for Flounder, I knew I would regret it. I rushed to go Greek, not to join a certain sorority. If I was meant to be Flounder, I knew it would happen. If I was meant to be Sven, it would happen. I had trust in the system.
Old 05-26-2015, 07:36 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by adieulove View Post
Day Three--Pref Day.

I would later find out that Pascal ranked me high, but Sven ranked me in their top ten for leadership opportunities. As a result of the system, Sven got me for Pref instead of Pascal. [/COLOR] .
adieu, not to rain on your story but I need to tell PNMs that it doesn't work like that.
Old 05-26-2015, 07:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnation View Post
adieu, not to rain on your story but I need to tell PNMs that it doesn't work like that.

Carnation, thanks for clarifying for other PNM! Just telling my story, but I wouldn't want to give any one false information for the future.
Old 05-26-2015, 08:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Day Four--Bid Day

Day Four—BID DAY. We had to wait until 7 PM on Monday to get our bid. Talk about torture. I called my mom around 5 PM to talk to her about the process. While neither of my parents were Greek, they were so supportive and proud that I decided to rush—no matter what happened. My mom assured me that wherever I ended up, I would be in the right place. That night, I would find my sisters.

At 7 PM, all the girls entered the holding room. One by one, a girl from each recruitment group would go into the room with rho-chis. We would sit at the table with our rho-chi, one on one. They would ask us how we felt before handing us our envelope. I liked that they did this, instead of us all in one room ripping over bid cards. I felt my heart beating out of my chest. I kept replaying my mom’s words in my head. I had stayed true to my values throughout recruitment, I would be where I was meant to be. Upon opening my envelope, I burst into tears.

I GOT FLOUNDER. Which is…..

DELTA ZETA.

I went from the girl who judged Greek life to the girl happy crying over her bid card! Going Greek is the best decision I've made in college so far. I worked as a Camp Counselor for six years at the camp I attended as a child, so our partnership with the Painted Turtle is incredibly special, as I believe every child should have the opportunity to attend camp. The girl I met on the second day who I loved is now my Grandbig! I've grown so much so far as a person and my sisters make me want to be a better person.

If I could give one word of advice to PNM going through recruitment, it is this: if you are yourself and trust the system, you will end up where you need to be. Tons of girls I know ended up in a sorority they weren't expecting/didn't want and now can't imagine their life differently. Stay true to yourself.
Old 05-26-2015, 09:24 PM
Super Moderator

How wonderful! Thanks for sharing!
Old 05-26-2015, 09:55 PM
Super Moderator

Great story, and well told! Congratulations!
Old 05-26-2015, 10:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Really enjoyed your story! You wrote about your experience beautifully :-)
Old 05-27-2015, 12:51 AM
GreekChat Member

Thank you all for your nice comments! I've been lurking for a while now, too afraid to post my own story. I figured it was time!
Old 05-27-2015, 09:38 AM
GreekChat Member

Great story! I think I love your mom.
Congratulations on Delta Zeta!

Be a Volunteer!
Old 05-27-2015, 12:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Great story!!! Thanks for sharing.
Old 05-27-2015, 12:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Great story, thanks for sharing!