GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.


Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:
 
Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

  I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 300,279
Threads: 114,213
Posts: 2,151,527
Welcome to our newest member, pryan781
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #841  
Old 01-25-2014, 02:05 PM
pinkmama pinkmama is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 51
Looks like the new sorority is still taking sign ups for interviews also
  #842  
Old 01-25-2014, 02:08 PM
IndianaSigKap's Avatar
IndianaSigKap IndianaSigKap is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Sweet Home Indiana
Posts: 1,942
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzgirl View Post
I'm not planning to read through 55 pages, but doesn't IU use RFM so that more girls would get cut early rather than after Pref?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
RFM most likely was a complete cluster this year with a round of parties being eliminated. AND I STILL NEVER GOT AN ANSWER TO MY QUESTION.
Yes, IU uses RFM. I am sure it was a cluster. But bed rush still screws up RFM to an extent. I am confident that RFM was not designed for bud rush, it was designed for quota/total. The only thing RFM really does is keeps strong recruiting chapters from over inviting to the early rounds, which happened like crazy prior to RFM.

Let's say there are 1600 PNMs. A SRC can invite 50% to the next round (12 party) which is 800. And let's say they are a highly sought after chapter and 750 accept bids. Then they are allowed to take 50% the next round (3 party) which is 375. Their quota is 40. So if 300 accept invitations, then 260 women are on their second and third bid lists, 260 who could potentially go bidless if they are on the second and third lists of the other two chapters on their pref invitation list.

If it were quota/total, their quota would be much higher. Possibly 60-70 depending on how many women were still eligible or a bid.
__________________
Sigma Kappa
One Heart One Way since 1874

Last edited by IndianaSigKap; 01-25-2014 at 03:10 PM.
  #843  
Old 01-25-2014, 02:08 PM
pinkmama pinkmama is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iu mom View Post
Well said carnation our whole family is Greek and IU WAS the only university with the exact program my daughter wanted- a science (kinesiology) degree WITH dance- it's VERY VERY difficult to be admitted to this program with its audition admission process as well as having to get into IU at the same time- as an IU-of-stater we pay and it's fine because if what IU offers - that being said from a family if Greeks and many very active alum she WANTS to be greek AT IU and that won't be satisfied by a club membership - so we are still hoping for a COB

COB is more than likely all done with now. Most houses are having their first chapter meetings tomorrow/Monday and more than likely their first pledge type ceremony this weekend. They usually have everyone they need by then and won't add after the fact. If they do informal recruitment then that becomes a seperate pledge class typically and they have their own ceremonies and their own iniataion.
  #844  
Old 01-25-2014, 02:36 PM
Indiana mom Indiana mom is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 7
In response to the girls that were offered snap bids - I know for sure one girl did not go through any of the recruitment process. She told everyone she was not interested in Rushing. She did receive a snap bid the day after snap bid. She did accept. She did not pay the Rush fee that my daughter and hundreds other paid and did not receive a bid. She did not travel back to IU early. to commit days visiting houses in the freezing cold.
Unfair is an understatement.
This chapter should at the very least be required to pick from the girls who went through all the hard work of formal requirement.
  #845  
Old 01-25-2014, 02:41 PM
DubaiSis DubaiSis is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Back in the Heartland
Posts: 5,383
Why?

These are private organizations who can pick WHOEVER they want. Rush just makes the process of finding which girls they want easier. There is no contract that says they have to choose ANY girls through formal rush.
__________________
"Traveling - It leaves you speechless, then turns you into a storyteller. ~ Ibn Battuta
  #846  
Old 01-25-2014, 03:20 PM
Katmandu Katmandu is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 929
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiana mom View Post
In response to the girls that were offered snap bids - I know for sure one girl did not go through any of the recruitment process. She told everyone she was not interested in Rushing. She did receive a snap bid the day after snap bid. She did accept. She did not pay the Rush fee that my daughter and hundreds other paid and did not receive a bid. She did not travel back to IU early. to commit days visiting houses in the freezing cold.
Unfair is an understatement.
This chapter should at the very least be required to pick from the girls who went through all the hard work of formal requirement.
You are hurt and angry, we get it. You should let your daughter deal with it at this point. It is her college experience, not yours. Sororities are not obligated to select from women who paid a registration fee when it comes to COB bids. People have been very gracious to the IU moms on this thread because of IUs unique recruitment, but the helicopter blades are loud.

Good luck to all next year, but especially good luck to the great pledge class DPhiE will get!
  #847  
Old 01-25-2014, 03:53 PM
Rhomom Rhomom is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiana mom View Post
In response to the girls that were offered snap bids - I know for sure one girl did not go through any of the recruitment process. She told everyone she was not interested in Rushing. She did receive a snap bid the day after snap bid. She did accept. She did not pay the Rush fee that my daughter and hundreds other paid and did not receive a bid. She did not travel back to IU early. to commit days visiting houses in the freezing cold.
Unfair is an understatement.
This chapter should at the very least be required to pick from the girls who went through all the hard work of formal requirement.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiana mom View Post
In response to the girls that were offered snap bids - I know for sure one girl did not go through any of the recruitment process. She told everyone she was not interested in Rushing. She did receive a snap bid the day after snap bid. She did accept. She did not pay the Rush fee that my daughter and hundreds other paid and did not receive a bid. She did not travel back to IU early. to commit days visiting houses in the freezing cold.
Unfair is an understatement.
This chapter should at the very least be required to pick from the girls who went through all the hard work of formal requirement.


Again, these are rumors at best--there is no way to know anything "for a fact" unless you are directly involved. Extenuating circumstances. That's all I am sayin.....

And to the moms who believe their daughters to be the "perfect package"? You are complaining about exclusivity yet you describe how perfect and special you believe your daughter to be. Do you not see the irony in that? EVERY WOMAN WHO WENT THROUGH RECRUITMENT HAS SOMETHING SPECIAL TO OFFER. None of us (and certainly not the actives) walk around with the prototype of the "perfect package in our heads. But I can tell you that the car someone drives, what religion they are, what daddy does for living, or what town they live in are not factors. The biggest factor, is how a PNM connects with a chapter during rush. And there are plenty of new pledges who knew no one, were not legacies and had no recs. Further more, this year's PNM's did not have to return that early--in the past IU recruitment has started up to a week prior to classes--sometimes on Jan 2. And being forced to visit houses the cold weather? Really? Was your daughter complaining or is that all mom.

Please know that every one here concedes that IU recruitment is a mess; a difficult, and very imperfect process. Changes must be made. But there is no conspiracy against anyone's daughter because she is from a certain place, because she is a dancer, because she lives in a certain neighborhood on campus. The girls out there who went bidless got the short end of the stick--no question. But as has been stressed a million times in this thread, this process is more than anything arbitrary; these heartbroken women are a victim of bad luck. Nothing more, nothing less.
  #848  
Old 01-25-2014, 04:05 PM
cinder1965 cinder1965 is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhomom View Post
Again, these are rumors at best--there is no way to know anything "for a fact" unless you are directly involved. Extenuating circumstances. That's all I am sayin.....

And to the moms who believe their daughters to be the "perfect package"? You are complaining about exclusivity yet you describe how perfect and special you believe your daughter to be. Do you not see the irony in that? EVERY WOMAN WHO WENT THROUGH RECRUITMENT HAS SOMETHING SPECIAL TO OFFER. None of us (and certainly not the actives) walk around with the prototype of the "perfect package in our heads. But I can tell you that the car someone drives, what religion they are, what daddy does for living, or what town they live in are not factors. The biggest factor, is how a PNM connects with a chapter during rush. And there are plenty of new pledges who knew no one, were not legacies and had no recs. Further more, this year's PNM's did not have to return that early--in the past IU recruitment has started up to a week prior to classes--sometimes on Jan 2. And being forced to visit houses the cold weather? Really? Was your daughter complaining or is that all mom.

Please know that every one here concedes that IU recruitment is a mess; a difficult, and very imperfect process. Changes must be made. But there is no conspiracy against anyone's daughter because she is from a certain place, because she is a dancer, because she lives in a certain neighborhood on campus. The girls out there who went bidless got the short end of the stick--no question. But as has been stressed a million times in this thread, this process is more than anything arbitrary; these heartbroken women are a victim of bad luck. Nothing more, nothing less.

Agree. I think all that could be said about 2014 IU Recruitment has been said. Let's hope this helps push IU towards change and the new chapter on campus has a great colonization.
__________________
One Heart, One Way Since 1874
Sigma Kappa, Beta Sigma Chapter
  #849  
Old 01-25-2014, 04:07 PM
AZTheta's Avatar
AZTheta AZTheta is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: 17 39' 3.312'' S 149 25' 33.7512'' W
Posts: 4,924
Rhomom, you got it almost right, up until the second to the last sentence.

For many women, it is not "bad luck." It is a consequence of no quota/total in place. It is bed rush. You cannot go to Preference, list all invites on your MRABA, and end up bidless at any other campus in the country, barring any unforeseen events or circumstances.

I will repeat this ad infinitum.
  #850  
Old 01-25-2014, 04:11 PM
Rhomom Rhomom is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 8
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZTheta View Post
Rhomom, you got it almost right, up until the second to the last sentence.

For many women, it is not "bad luck." It is a consequence of no quota/total in place. It is bed rush. You cannot go to Preference, list all invites on your MRABA, and end up bidless at any other campus in the country, barring any unforeseen events or circumstances.

I will repeat this ad infinitum.

Ok--bad luck AND bed rush!
  #851  
Old 01-25-2014, 04:11 PM
Indiana mom Indiana mom is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 7
It is not a rumor that she received a snap bid the day after formal bids even though she did not go through formal recruitment. This information came directly from her.
Don't assume everything posted is rumor or is being posted to be vindictive. There is some valid , helpful information being posted. Don't diminish everyone as being a "helicopter mom". There are many of us that would like to see the system operating in a more fair way so "all" young women can have a positive college experience.
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Indiana 2014 Recruitment Schedule IndianaSigKap Sorority Recruitment 13 06-02-2013 06:12 PM
Indiana University New Recruitment brighteyedgirl Sorority Recruitment 35 03-18-2013 12:22 PM
Indiana University Recruitment IUGreekGirl Sorority Recruitment 364 02-20-2011 09:10 PM
Indiana University Recruitment heu173 Sorority Recruitment 0 02-04-2010 04:15 PM
Indiana University recruitment AZ-AlphaXi Recruitment 18 01-18-2004 10:20 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:11 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.