GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Fraternity Recruitment

Fraternity Recruitment Recruitment event ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.


Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:
 
Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

  I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 297,187
Threads: 114,115
Posts: 2,150,369
Welcome to our newest member, ajvdhndofp
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-05-2013, 02:59 PM
Lycan Lycan is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 2
Considering Rushing, But Would Like Your Thoughts

Hey everyone,

I am entering my Sophomore year at FSU this fall and I have been seriously considering rushing for some time now. While I have many friends who are in fraternities in various universities, I came here for an outside opinion.

I have a few concerns that I would like to address first that I was hoping you guys could shed some light on.

1. My first big concern above everything else, is the fact that I am considering rushing my Sophomore year. Is this generally looked down upon? I know a good majority of the men rushing are doing so in their Freshman year.

2. I'll admit, I'm really not big into sports. I enjoy keeping up with Football and Baseball stats, but I'm not going to be one of those people able to recall games from 10 years ago and discuss the "x" qualities and "y" pitfalls of given players and teams. How will this affect my ability to communicate and bond with the brothers? Will it have a big impact or is it localized to certain fraternities?

3. Body type/image. I am not your typical jacked lifter. I would consider myself overweight but not fat. I am only addressing this concern because I know preserving a good image can be an important quality in brothers. (If it isn't a major one already). How accepting are fraternities of larger men? Are there some I need to be looking for specifically. Is this just a moot point altogether? Granted, this summer I am working on the weight, but I suspect by the time fall starts I will not be to the level I want to be at.

Lastly, I just wanted to see if you guys would be willing to throw me some newbie tips for rushing.

Thanks for your time!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-05-2013, 04:54 PM
TSteven TSteven is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Left Coast
Posts: 3,596
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycan View Post
1. My first big concern above everything else, is the fact that I am considering rushing my Sophomore year. Is this generally looked down upon? I know a good majority of the men rushing are doing so in their Freshman year.
There are no pledge quotas or chapter totals for fraternities. As such, fraternities are not limited to the number of bids they may extend. So generally speaking, it isn’t unusual for a sophomore to receive a bid if the man is a good fit with the chapter.

Quote:
2. I'll admit, I'm really not big into sports. I enjoy keeping up with Football and Baseball stats, but I'm not going to be one of those people able to recall games from 10 years ago and discuss the "x" qualities and "y" pitfalls of given players and teams. How will this affect my ability to communicate and bond with the brothers? Will it have a big impact or is it localized to certain
fraternities?
There are so called “jock” chapters where members are into sports and seem to know everything there is about sports. But at the other extreme, there are chapters where their members wouldn’t know what a baseball was - even if it hit them in the head. Most chapters are somewhere in between the two extremes.

Quote:
3. Body type/image. I am not your typical jacked lifter. I would consider myself overweight but not fat. I am only addressing this concern because I know preserving a good image can be an important quality in brothers. (If it isn't a major one already). How accepting are fraternities of larger men? Are there some I need to be looking for specifically. Is this just a moot point altogether? Granted, this summer I am working on the weight, but I suspect by the time fall starts I will not be to the level I want to be at.
Generally speaking, some chapters may be image conscious, but most will not be concerned with your size but how well you present yourself. Do you look healthy, are you well groomed and do you dress appropriately.

Quote:
Lastly, I just wanted to see if you guys would be willing to throw me some newbie tips for rushing.
As much of a cliché as it sounds, don’t try to be someone or something you are not. I’ve know “nerds” who were members of the “jock” chapter; “jocks” who joined the “stoner” chapter; and “stoners” who joined the “GQ” chapter etc. So just be yourself and have a good time.

Best of luck.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-06-2013, 01:36 PM
Lycan Lycan is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 2
Thanks for your insight and help!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Thoughts on military veterans rushing fraternities JC33 Fraternity Recruitment 10 01-28-2013 08:17 PM
Having Second Thoughts.. prepster Greek Life 18 06-26-2008 07:18 PM
10 Thoughts for the day! Tom Earp Chit Chat 0 01-19-2006 02:29 PM
Your thoughts on the War ASTDM39 Alpha Sigma Tau 3 04-02-2003 06:01 PM
Any Thoughts? DG515 Delta Gamma 7 02-20-2003 01:33 AM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:16 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.