GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.


Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:
 
Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

  I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 296,897
Threads: 114,108
Posts: 2,150,242
Welcome to our newest member, Udfgfdjkbn
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #46  
Old 05-30-2013, 02:17 PM
scgoldengirl scgoldengirl is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 42
Just out of curiosity. Do you think these girls are from your smaller towns or are the big city girls guilty as well?
When I rushed at USM back in the disco era, the worst offenders during rush, were the girls from small, kind of backwards towns in the middle of the state.
And what part of the state that you came from definitely played into your perception of each sorority.
__________________
Sometimes silence is more yellow than golden.
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 05-30-2013, 02:25 PM
carnation carnation is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Georgia
Posts: 11,096
I do see a lot of small-town girls doing it out of ignorance but also see some big city girls doing it, especially those from the private schools and upperclass (don't know a better term) public schools from which many girls tend to pledge a certain group of sororities. Here's a caveat, girls: there are so many of you from those schools that Awesome Alpha and Bodacious Beta can't take you all.
__________________
"Yo ho, yo ho, over the raging seas we go! Yo ho ho ho, wherever the four winds blow!
HEY!!!"
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 05-30-2013, 02:32 PM
MaryPoppins MaryPoppins is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Yoknapatawpha
Posts: 1,771
Quote:
Originally Posted by carnation View Post
Here's a caveat, girls: there are so many of you from those schools that Awesome Alpha and Bodacious Beta can't take you all.
Thus why the Greek systems on so very many campuses are expanding with colonies (new, young chapters) to serve more PNMs.
__________________
Yesterday, today, and tomorrow, Kappa Alpha Theta exists to nurture each member throughout her college and alumna experience and to
offer a lifelong opportunity for social, intellectual, and moral growth as she meets the higher and broader demands of a mature life.

Last edited by MaryPoppins; 05-30-2013 at 02:57 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 05-30-2013, 02:49 PM
DubaiSis DubaiSis is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Back in the Heartland
Posts: 5,376
I think it's just the 10 foot tall and bullet-proof thing that IS being a teenager, and is also why parents should monitor their kids' social media; for reminders of the social graces as much as for checking for drugs and otherwise unacceptable behavior.

And if Mom tells you it's not cool and you do it anyway because what does she know, then it's all on you and you'll get what you deserve.
__________________
"Traveling - It leaves you speechless, then turns you into a storyteller. ~ Ibn Battuta
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 05-30-2013, 03:32 PM
HQWest HQWest is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,005
Quote:
Originally Posted by lake View Post
Not to hijack this thread, but I would LOVE to hear stories of this actually happening. That's almost as intriguing (and baffling) to me as someone who transfers schools because they didn't get the sorority they wanted at their original school. Crazy!
Which true story do you want ?
1. I initially applied to one university because I liked the brochure. I was a national merit scholar and got TONS of brochures, but this one was particularly nice. When I didn't get into DREAM school, I went to Nice Brochure U planning on transferring. Joined a sorority, stayed and graduated.

2. More than once (here in Mordor - somewhere south of the Plateau of Gorgoroth)- I have known a girl - dying to get XYZ, gets UVW on bid day instead, depledges then transfers for a do-over. (This has also happened with a sophomore who thought she knew everyone in the chapter and XYZ loved her.)

3. Little Lucy Legacy puts all over her Facebook before recruitment how she can't wait to be an ABC because her big sisters friends are all so awesome. Goes all the way through recruitment telling ABC how much she loves them and how fantastic they are - pref night chooses XYZ. XYZ thinks this is funny. Big sisters friends in ABC not pleased. Tells ABCs "but I knew we would all still be friends anyway!" They are not.

4. Finally - one of the awesome officers I have advised, made her final tough decision pref night because she liked our colors better.
Reply With Quote
  #51  
Old 05-30-2013, 04:35 PM
clemsongirl clemsongirl is online now
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: colonial thrilliamsburg
Posts: 1,802
Slight hijack, but I don't understand why people would only apply to one or two colleges and not give themselves some backup. My boyfriend applied to only Clemson and Georgia Tech, and while he was accepted to both if he hadn't gotten into either he would have been up a creek without a paddle as far as starting higher education at a four-year university in the fall. Same goes for anyone who decides to apply to only reach/financially unattainable schools. I had a cousin that got rejected from everywhere except one school that he outright could not afford, so he ended up coming home after one semester. It just boggles my mind that anyone would think not having an affordable safety school as a last-resort backup is a good idea.

/hijack

Also, FWIW, I'm in both the Class of 2017 and the Girls' Roommate Search groups on Facebook for Clemson and nobody has said so far that they are rushing for any specific group. I'd like to think this means nobody is saying that, but in reality they're probably just making it their status instead of posting in the group. Still, I can dream.
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 05-30-2013, 05:43 PM
DeltaBetaBaby DeltaBetaBaby is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: ILL-INI
Posts: 7,176
Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by clemsongirl View Post
Slight hijack, but I don't understand why people would only apply to one or two colleges and not give themselves some backup. My boyfriend applied to only Clemson and Georgia Tech, and while he was accepted to both if he hadn't gotten into either he would have been up a creek without a paddle as far as starting higher education at a four-year university in the fall. Same goes for anyone who decides to apply to only reach/financially unattainable schools. I had a cousin that got rejected from everywhere except one school that he outright could not afford, so he ended up coming home after one semester. It just boggles my mind that anyone would think not having an affordable safety school as a last-resort backup is a good idea.
Depends on timing. I had my U of I acceptance in-hand before I finished filling out my other applications. So then I just didn't do any other applications.
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 05-30-2013, 06:06 PM
HQWest HQWest is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,005
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby View Post
Depends on timing. I had my U of I acceptance in-hand before I finished filling out my other applications. So then I just didn't do any other applications.
I guess I should have added that I had acceptances to two Big State U.s and one Regional State U, but on reflection, decided it would be better to take a chance on smaller private Nice Brochure U. and transferring if it did not work out. I really wanted to do something different then everyone at my high school.

A lot of time and money goes into applications so some people try to limit their list of applications if they have a pretty good idea of what they want or if they are going to Big State U. because everyone else is. I think the same crowd that thinks they can pick whichever sorority they want, thinks they can sign up for the school they want.

Last edited by HQWest; 05-30-2013 at 06:09 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 05-30-2013, 08:54 PM
adpiucf adpiucf is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: I can't seem to keep track!
Posts: 5,820
Quote:
Originally Posted by clemsongirl View Post
Slight hijack, but I don't understand why people would only apply to one or two colleges and not give themselves some backup.
With respect, some of us are first generation college students and had literally no advisement from family or guidance counselors. In the pre-internet era, I was on my own. Today, I would have probably been able to go online and see the "norm." Back, then I applied to 3 random in-state schools and chose the one where I didn't know anyone. Don't recommend picking a school at that basis, but I didn't know any better when I was 17 and no one I talked to about it-- parents, teachers, friends-- advised me any differently.

Similarly, I had no idea what rush was or what a sorority was, and I was completely turned off by the Minnie Mouse-voiced bimbo preaching about Greek Life at my freshman orientation. It wasn't until I met Greeks in my classes that I thought this could be something for me and I rushed the following year (with certain biases and stereotypes in mind, but, thankfully, no Facebook to broadcast those thoughts to).
__________________
Click here for some helpful information about sorority recruitment and recommendations.

Last edited by adpiucf; 05-30-2013 at 09:39 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 05-30-2013, 11:50 PM
clemsongirl clemsongirl is online now
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: colonial thrilliamsburg
Posts: 1,802
Quote:
Originally Posted by adpiucf View Post
With respect, some of us are first generation college students and had literally no advisement from family or guidance counselors. In the pre-internet era, I was on my own. Today, I would have probably been able to go online and see the "norm." Back, then I applied to 3 random in-state schools and chose the one where I didn't know anyone. Don't recommend picking a school at that basis, but I didn't know any better when I was 17 and no one I talked to about it-- parents, teachers, friends-- advised me any differently.

Similarly, I had no idea what rush was or what a sorority was, and I was completely turned off by the Minnie Mouse-voiced bimbo preaching about Greek Life at my freshman orientation. It wasn't until I met Greeks in my classes that I thought this could be something for me and I rushed the following year (with certain biases and stereotypes in mind, but, thankfully, no Facebook to broadcast those thoughts to).
Pre-internet, that's completely understandable. And even for first-gen college students nowadays, if you live in a bubble entirely comprised of people who never went to college it can be really hard to figure out the ins and outs of such a complicated process. I was imagining more the affluent, suburban, white-bread kids I grew up with who had the resources and should have known better but for whatever reason decided not to hedge their bets. If a PNM can google how rush works then a reasonably intelligent teenager should be able to google school costs and acceptance rates.
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 05-31-2013, 12:46 AM
adpiucf adpiucf is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: I can't seem to keep track!
Posts: 5,820
Quote:
Originally Posted by clemsongirl View Post
I was imagining more the affluent, suburban, white-bread kids I grew up with who had the resources and should have known better but for whatever reason decided not to hedge their bets. If a PNM can google how rush works then a reasonably intelligent teenager should be able to google school costs and acceptance rates.
Totally agree!
__________________
Click here for some helpful information about sorority recruitment and recommendations.
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 05-31-2013, 02:09 AM
DubaiSis DubaiSis is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Back in the Heartland
Posts: 5,376
Technically, I didn't apply to any universities. I was pre-accepted into a couple schools without trying or expressing any interest. But the rules I was functioning under was "you can attend any school you want as long as it has the word IOWA in the name." For me, that meant one school. They pre-accepted me. Process complete. I do wonder how I would have handled that process if I'd had broader horizons.
__________________
"Traveling - It leaves you speechless, then turns you into a storyteller. ~ Ibn Battuta
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 05-31-2013, 08:52 AM
AOII Angel's Avatar
AOII Angel AOII Angel is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Santa Monica/Beverly Hills
Posts: 8,598
For all the admonishing about PNMs and college bound students hedging their bets, you'll never see this behavior go away because for as much as we bitch about it, there aren't dire consequences for every student who does it. PNMs go through recruitment every single year with this attitude. Some have magical recruitments, some have nightmares. The ones that end up where they wanted feed the beast. We all know it happens. Pretending like the system magically spits out each and every person who dares not be Panhellenic is stupid. We do get to see a lot of these girls go home when they drop out rather than take a bid from a chapter "below them" but there are plenty whom get the chapter of their dreams. Honestly, if they would rather drop out then join a group of women having a great time without them...a doubt they'll be missed.
__________________

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!




Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 05-31-2013, 09:05 AM
AZTheta's Avatar
AZTheta AZTheta is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: 17 39' 3.312'' S 149 25' 33.7512'' W
Posts: 4,914
^^^^^^ True, this. So, so true.

And all too often, the "chapter of their dreams" ends up being a nightmare, as witnessed by the number of resignations ("drops"). What I find fascinating is the membership retention of the "below them" chapters versus the "dream chapters"... to me, that's the litmus test of what a "dream chapter" really is.
__________________

Basically my main piece of advice is: if you are lucky enough to get a bid to ANY chapter, that is your golden ticket and you should take it and run with it.
-robinseggblue
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old 05-31-2013, 09:11 AM
Titchou Titchou is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Sweet Home Alabama
Posts: 3,888
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubaiSis View Post
Technically, I didn't apply to any universities. I was pre-accepted into a couple schools without trying or expressing any interest. But the rules I was functioning under was "you can attend any school you want as long as it has the word IOWA in the name." For me, that meant one school. They pre-accepted me. Process complete. I do wonder how I would have handled that process if I'd had broader horizons.
Yeah, I was under the "you can go to any school you want but the only one I'm paying for is Alabama" rule....
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
"My baby girl is rushing!" -FSUMummy FSUMummy Recruitment Stories 116 09-29-2007 08:33 PM
Are you from a "pink" chapter or a "blue" chapter? CutiePie2000 Delta Gamma 13 07-18-2003 01:18 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:21 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.