GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 300,276
Threads: 114,211
Welcome to our newest member, uqlpavvdwd

Old 07-01-2012, 04:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitashort View Post
Believe it or not i have met quite a few sorority women who although love being in a sorority say that if they had the option they wouldn't have joined due to financial problems. I also left for discussion the reasons why it IS worth it, so it wasn't one sided. For those who do feel it is worth it i just want to hear reasons why
Not being a member is always an option. It's always a personal choice. Some people find they can't justify the expense, and they therefore lose their membership. I was one of those people who worked 3 or 4 jobs a time during school to make sure I could pay my dues and other bills. (Pizza chef, server, babysitter, horse groom, computer lab monitor, etc...). I was always on a payment plan as well. Many groups offer this option. I couldn't pay the entire amount up front, so I made small payments throughout the quarter. Some groups offer even more financial aid options.
With twin stars and kites above.
Old 07-01-2012, 05:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Do I feel joining a sorority is worth the finance? You Bechta! And I would do it all over again.
As a collegiate, I enjoyed living in the house and teaching me humility. As an only child, I went from not having any siblings to over 35 sisters. I learned to respect others and share everything from privacy to respecting others property. I can go on forever but I believe the prior post have made important points.
As an adult, I have become a great speaker. I am not afraid of job interviews and I am able to be the head speaker at work related meetings.
The biggest benefit I have endured is to find out your co-workers were part of a Greek organization and able to share the bonds of sisterhood.
Old 07-01-2012, 07:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks everyone for your responses. I see why most people find that joining a sorority is well worth it. I guess I just needed some reassurance that I am making the right decision(If i even get a bid of course). If I do i hope that my experiences are just as great as everyone elses
Old 07-03-2012, 12:11 PM
GreekChat Member

We all know women in our chapters who withdrew for "financial" reasons, and while some of these truly were financial, most of them are usually people who felt their sorority experience wasn't worth what they were paying for dues. Those are the people who are only interested in the "fun" aspects of sorority membership, and not all in for the responsibilities.

You have to understand what you are committing yourself to, both the fun and not fun aspects of sorority membership. Only then can you decide whether you think it's worth it.
Old 07-03-2012, 01:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to flirt5721
I believe my experience was worth what I paid for. I put a lot of effort into being part of every activity I could a part of. I learned to have more confident with myself and also with public speaking. I learned time management. I had to balance a full load from classes plus two jobs. Granted our house was not the most amazing, the memories that I have from late night talks, outings, or just hanging out was completely worth it.

One can gain a lot from being in a sorority. There are good times and bad times like everything in life but its what you want to get out of the experience that matters.

"The Pen is Mightier Than the Sword"
Land of Entrapment has me again
Old 07-03-2012, 03:39 PM
GreekChat Member

To do it again, the changes I would have made wouldn't be in not doing it, it would have been in doing MORE. I wish I had taken more advantage of all my collegiate years had to offer. I had a great time and learned a lot, academically, socially and what would become professionally (because leadershipally isn't a word), but I could have done so much more.

At my school it was mandated that living in the sorority houses had to be comparable in price to living in the dorms. But so not comparable when it came to quality of life! It can be expensive to be in a sorority, but relative to the ridiculous cost of education, is it actually that much more?

The one thing I would say is if you feel that your sorority isn't offering you leadership training, career counseling, lecture series on subjects valuable for your future, etc., then you should work to add that to your programs. If all you're getting out of your collegiate sorority life is parties, yeah, it's pretty expensive!
Old 07-04-2012, 04:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Is it worth it? Yes. I could never put a price tag on having 100+ sisters who will be there for me no matter what, whether I'm on campus with them, or 800 miles away and in a hospital bed on a morphine drip because I'm too sick to be in school for the year. I could NEVER pay enough for my sisterhood, for the experiences of being a Kappa Delta, or the life skills I've obtained through my membership.

However, I do have to agree with everyone who has already said that it IS a choice and that it isn't worth it for everyone, and that you do get what you put in to it (and that if you're talking to women on this board, they're more than likely completely in love with Greek life). It is a huge commitment, more than just financially, but in my opinion it is SO worth it.

Good luck with your decision to go through recruitment (and remember, committing to formal recruitment does not mean you have to commit to accepting a bid!), and I hope you can get as much as all of us have obtained through our experiences!