GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,508
2 members and 1,506 guests
naraht

Old 09-09-2011, 11:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Our new members wear all white "dressy" clothes, which permits slacks as well as skirts and dresses. We're not overly fussy about the pureness of the white, though, so we get a lot of variation. After all, it's tough to find true white when your pledge class is initiated in December, as mine was! The sisters (both collegiate and any alumnae who are there) wear all black.

We follow this same dress code when we induct a new chapter. But to go one step further to honor that new chapter, on the day of the induction sisters all over the country wear all black and their member badge in tribute... which we'll be doing tomorrow to welcome our 26th collegiate chapter!!
Old 09-09-2011, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishLake View Post
I think it is no coincidence that none of my sisters have said anything on this thread.

(Off to the Halloween stores to stock up on Catwoman costumes).
Same for my sisters! I will say that I advise my collegiate chapters to think tasteful when it comes to makeup in such situations, as in wedding day vs. going out clubbing.
Old 09-09-2011, 11:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I think it is no coincidence that none of my sisters have said anything on this thread.

(Off to the Halloween stores to stock up on Catwoman costumes).
I love you
Old 09-09-2011, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeychile View Post
Learn something new every day! We are provided with our ritual apparel by our chapter. Everything is taken care of "in house".
Quote:
On this note, I will say only that we were asked to arrive in all white. It was only after arriving at initiation that we changed into our catsuits (white for initiates, green for sisters) and the officers donned their white faux-fur stoles over their green catsuits.

Um. I'll shut up now.

Old 09-10-2011, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
I can't get my head around the thought of women in beautiful white dresses...and then socks.
What? The creepy Mormon cult-look doesn't appeal to you?
Old 09-10-2011, 12:42 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aephi alum View Post
On this note, I will say only that we were asked to arrive in all white. It was only after arriving at initiation that we changed into our catsuits (white for initiates, green for sisters) and the officers donned their white faux-fur stoles over their green catsuits.

Um. I'll shut up now.

I was told that if we could not find a boa made entirely of white dove feathers, we could wear one made of pigeon feathers that had been bleached.

Seriously, the main thing I remember is no wristwatches. In this day and age, those have been supplanted by cell phones, and I would hope it goes without saying, those are verboten.

Old 09-10-2011, 01:25 AM
GreekChat Member

Oh, the shoes! I forgot about the shoes. What kills me is there must be a factory out there somewhere that makes all that stuff. And some $8/hour factory guy who thinks all sorority girls are complete nutballs.
Old 09-10-2011, 11:05 AM
GreekChat Member

I'm thinking I've heard more than once that the no-makeup rule is to keep makeup from getting onto the robes, which would then have to be cleaned and pressed every time instead of once or twice a year. That would make more sense.

Now I'm creeped out. The ad at the top of the page is www.shopwhitedress.com. How do they know????????????????????

Old 09-10-2011, 12:45 PM
GreekChat Member

What kills me is we probably all wore exactly the same thing, but since we can't discuss, we don't know! Back to the factory thing - they couldn't stay in business if they were just manufacturing secret catsuits for just Alpha Xi.
Old 09-10-2011, 01:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to NutBrnHair
Keeping my ears open and my mouth shut.

I feel a tad bit guilty because I so enjoy reading the information on this thread, but do not feel comfortable sharing information. Am I the only one who feels this way?
Old 09-10-2011, 01:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubaiSis View Post
I participated in an installation and we were told to wear white. This was very different than what we wore back in my collegiate days, probably similar to what honeychile is describing. I must say I don't know if policy changed, the fact that my chapter is very old (100 years old next year!) and we wore original initiation garb, or if installations are different than regular initiations. Besides, our initiations were done in the middle of the night with about 82 things that are now considered hazing, so I know at least part of it has changed.

Too bad we can't share stories - I've got one or two funny ones!
One of the sisters in my alumnae association shared a little bit about her initiation (at another campus) that might be similar to yours, and it was wild.

I will say this about my Alpha Xi initiation - I was blown away. I thought it might be because it was so long coming for me, but then again, I don't see how it could be any less beautiful or meaningful to anyone experiencing it. There's a phrase that I've heard a lot - and many sororities have used it - that their sorority isn't something they "joined," but rather, something that they have always been. THAT is how I felt at initiation.

Old 09-10-2011, 02:38 PM

Quote:
What kills me is we probably all wore exactly the same thing, but since we can't discuss, we don't know!
I know what you mean; I'd love to see how other chapters do their initiations. Actually, I'd REALLY love to attend the initiation they do at Convention every other year. Since it's the National Council that does it, you KNOW it's done perfectly. I'm curious to see how it differs from how our chapter did it. ("uh oh, I can't find the sacred turtle shell" "okay, we can just use a seashell instead. No one will know the difference.")
Old 09-10-2011, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ree-Xi View Post
I will say this about my Alpha Xi initiation - I was blown away. I thought it might be because it was so long coming for me, but then again, I don't see how it could be any less beautiful or meaningful to anyone experiencing it. There's a phrase that I've heard a lot - and many sororities have used it - that their sorority isn't something they "joined," but rather, something that they have always been. THAT is how I felt at initiation.
That's why it really bothers me when GDIs talk about sorority initiations like they're something bad or abusive or, (ugh) kinky. Delta Zeta's initiation ritual is beautiful and uplifting and I would be absolutely shocked if it WEREN'T the case with the other NPC organizations as well.
Old 09-10-2011, 03:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
What kills me is we probably all wore exactly the same thing, but since we can't discuss, we don't know! Back to the factory thing - they couldn't stay in business if they were just manufacturing secret catsuits for just Alpha Xi.
I feel the exact same way. Maybe that's why we can't share: we'd all find out we've been wearing the same thing.

We do not have the no makeup requirement, for which I am grateful, because I am a mascara addict.

LET'S GO BIG RED!
Let me teach you how to Bucky!
Old 09-10-2011, 03:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NutBrnHair View Post
I feel a tad bit guilty because I so enjoy reading the information on this thread, but do not feel comfortable sharing information. Am I the only one who feels this way?
Nope.

Θ Φ Α