GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Alpha > Alpha Sigma Alpha

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 298,784
Threads: 114,172
Welcome to our newest member, nishi9090

Old 04-07-2011, 01:45 PM
GreekChat Member

ASA Colony

I'm super excited about this upcoming fall term because ASA is coming to colonize my university. Sadly my local sisterhood isn't.

When I first got here I rushed pan and realized I didn't fit in with them and rushed local. We have since decreased in numbers to an extreme that none of us want be near each other. When we were offered ASA sisterhood I was in charge of researching so I could answer any question my sisters had and immediately fell in love. It had the rules, regulations, and national sisterhood I always wanted. Some of my sisters are on the fence but I have made my choice to rush.

They have since started saying mean and rude things to me such as I am a traitor. I have tried to explain that this is what I always wanted and it would be the change I need for the better and personal growth. Since y'all are actives and alumnae; is there any way you could give me advice on what to do to make them see I'll always be there for them?

Last edited by 33girl; 04-07-2011 at 10:26 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 04-07-2011, 01:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXPheonix View Post
I'm super excited about this upcoming fall term because ASA is coming to colonize my university. Sadly my local sisterhood isn't.

When I first got here I rushed pan an relized I didn't fit in with them and rushed local. We have since decreased in numbers to an extreme that none of us want be near each other. When we were offered ASA sisterhood I was in charge of researching so I could answer any question my sisters had and immediately fell in love. It had the rules, reglutaions, and national sisterhood I always wanted. Some of my sisters are on the fence but I have made my chocie to rush.

The have since started saying mean and rude things to me such as I am a trator. I hav tried to explain that this is what I always wanted and it would be the change I need for the better an personal growth. Since y'all are actives and alum; is there anyway you could give me advice on what to do to make them see I'll always be there for them?
My only advice to you is to change your username.
1. You are not an ASA.
2. It's spelled wrong.
Old 04-07-2011, 03:00 PM
GreekChat Member

I know it's spelled wrong. It's a joke that dates back to high school
Old 04-07-2011, 03:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I know it's spelled wrong. It's a joke that dates back to high school
This isn't high school, and being that you are openly persuing ASA, it's not an acceptable username.
Old 04-07-2011, 05:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to preciousjeni
Quote:
I'm super excited about this upcoming fall term because ASA is coming to colonize my university. Sadly, my local sisterhood isn't.

When I first got here, I rushed pan an relized I didn't fit in with them and rushed local. We have since decreased in numbers to an extreme that none of us want be near each other. When we were offered ASA sisterhood, I was in charge of researching, so I could answer any question my sisters had and immediately fell in love. It had the rules, reglutaions, and national sisterhood I always wanted. Some of my sisters are on the fence but I have made my chocie to rush.

The have since started saying mean and rude things to me such as I am a trator. I hav tried to explain that this is what I always wanted, and it would be the change I need for the better an personal growth. Since y'all are actives and alum; is there anyway you could give me advice on what to do to make them see I'll always be there for them?
Why?

Talented, tested, tenacious, and true...
A woman of diversity through and through.
Old 04-07-2011, 05:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by preciousjeni View Post
Why?
Maybe they are jokes that date back to high school.
Old 04-07-2011, 10:42 PM

Quote:

When I first got here I rushed pan and realized I didn't fit in with them and rushed local. We have since decreased in numbers to an extreme that none of us want be near each other. When we were offered ASA sisterhood I was in charge of researching so I could answer any question my sisters had and immediately fell in love. It had the rules, regulations, and national sisterhood I always wanted. Some of my sisters are on the fence but I have made my choice to rush.

They have since started saying mean and rude things to me such as I am a traitor. I have tried to explain that this is what I always wanted and it would be the change I need for the better and personal growth. Since y'all are actives and alumnae; is there any way you could give me advice on what to do to make them see I'll always be there for them?
OK, I'm going to assume this is regarding the ASA colony that is being created from the ground up at West Texas A & M, which also has a local sorority.

If you discussed this as a group and the majority of your sisters do not want to pursue ASA membership, there's no two ways around it: you are breaking the oath of loyalty you took to your sorority. Yes, you have to do what is right for you, but you can't have your cake and eat it too.
Old 04-07-2011, 11:00 PM
GreekChat Member

It's nice to hear of your enthusiasm for ASA, but hurt feelings are inevitable in this situation. You can assure your local sisters that you care about them, but at the end of the day, you are dropping your affiliation with them in favor of pursuing membership in another sorority. That's going to hurt.

Be a Volunteer!

Last edited by LouisaMay; 04-07-2011 at 11:03 PM.
Old 04-08-2011, 12:10 AM
GreekChat Member

Well, I can hardly believe I am going to say this, but I think you should go for ASA. Although I am one who normally would encourage someone to remain loyal to the group she had already joined, it is a local and you do have the option of trying to join a national group. My experience with locals is limited, but joining an NPC group is going to give you much more in terms of lifetime opportunities.

That said, if you rush ASA and aren't accepted as a member... You've put yourself in a really awkward position. You won't be a member of a group you chose to leave behind, but you won't be a member of the group you wanted to join. Are you going to expect your local to welcome you back? Unless I'm missing something, you could end up with NO sorority membership. So be sure this is what you really want to do.

Let us know how it turns out!

My recruitment story: My sorority membership changed my life.
Old 04-08-2011, 11:50 AM
GreekChat Member

Honestly a colony, especially in Texas (even if it's not a huge Greek school), does not need the kind of drama it would bring to accept members from a current local. If the group was offered membership and declined, then the members need to accept the group's decision.

OP: If the sorority is not working for you for another reason BESIDES the ASA colonization, then drop, but don't let it be about ASA. Besides the fact that ASA actually has to pick you, which due to your local affiliation could be a long shot, what happens if you DO get in and end up hating all the girls ASA picks? This is a bit like leaving your boyfriend for another guy...you shouldn't do it unless you are 100% sure you would have broken up with the guy for other reasons anyway, and you'd rather be single than with him.