GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 299,892
Threads: 114,204
Welcome to our newest member, tgyygffhsd

Old 11-09-2009, 06:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoooby View Post
Soo I'm thinking of joining a sorority, but I'm very new to it all. A friend of mine sparked the idea to me about a week ago, and it seems I can't get it off my mind. I think it would be a fun, learning and growing experience for me.

Buuuut when I think of sororities I think of sassy girls getting all dolled up, which has never been my cup of tea. I'm very laid back, but dedicated to my studies, and I am jeans and t-shirt kind of girl. I wear hardly any make up--if not any at all... and I haven't worn heels since my grandparents anniversary, which was at least 5-6 years ago.

I don't mean to come off sounding closed minded, because I'm not. And I know there is much more to sororities than this, which is why I'm interested in them... however I feel like the fact that I hardly catch myself in a sun dress or what most people would consider "cute" clothes, is going to run me into a few problems. I hear rushing sororities can be harsh to your self-esteem, so I just want to know what I'll be getting myself into haha
RUSH

You need to learn more about the Greek environment at your campus. You may fit right in somewhere. You may meet some great new friends that are different from you, but many groups value variety and individuality. You might find that greek life at your campus is not for you, but at least you'll know.

I understand, I'm probably a bit more "girly" than you sound, but I was dragged kicking and screaming by a friend to what is now my sorority. If you find your place, it is very worth the risk and effort Good luck!!
Old 11-09-2009, 06:34 PM
redsweetpea

I would say just rush, that in itself is a very fun experince, and sure you have to dress up a little bit for that, but it shouldn't be a big deal since your trying to make an impression on these girls, and in my chapter we have to dress up for every chapter meeting, but it's just business casual, good luck with everything and hope it works out, let us know.
Old 11-09-2009, 09:04 PM
GreekChat Member

I think you should go for it There are many different types of girls and personalities and every chapter is different. This site actually really helped me keep an open mind and just see who I fit with. I am a big jeans/t-shirt girl. I don't really wear dresses, don't like heels, don't wear make up. When I got in, there was a bunch of stuff I had to buy for formal attire because I didn't have it. I actually have found that I'm starting to like dressing up, at least once in a while when it is required. It has taught me what types of clothes go with what, which will probably be helpful for job interviews and such. I never really thought about that until I read this thread, but I guess everything I do in my sorority prepares me for something good luck
Old 11-09-2009, 09:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Chapters at UNT may be different, but an idea of how often you'll be required to dress up based on MY experiences:

-business casual aka "pin/badge attire" (dress pants/skirt with nice top and shoes--could be flats) for weekly/biweekly chapter meetings, Panhellenic programs, Founders' Day, Parent events, some alumni events, etc...like 1 or 2 times per week

-Letter Days: Many chapters have designated days to wear letters, and usually this just entails looking nice in your letters. Nice jeans were acceptable at my campus.

-Social events/general going out: this will greatly depend on the culture of your school and the nature of the event. This could mean anything from cocktail dresses, skirt and top, dressy jeans outfits, casual t-shirt and jeans, or themed outfits.

-Gameday: Greeks at some Southern schools dress up for football games. I don't know if this is the case at UNT.

-Recruitment: when you go through, you'll get a general idea of what members are expected to wear. Keep in mind this is one week for formal recruitment, and probably during COB if applicable.

-Formal: depends on UNT's culture. Could be cocktail to formal. Once a semester in most cases.
Old 11-09-2009, 09:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Ok, where should I start.......First its a great idea that becoming apart of a sisterhood is something your interested in. I say go for it, BUT please do your research about different sororities before you just join one. Being apart of a sorority comes with special responsibilities. You quoted your a "jeans and T-shirt" type of girl. Thats good and fine, ecspecially when you doing community service projects or just hanging out in school. But when your attending professional events such as banquets, meetings, award ceremonies, inductions, etc. You need to be dressed appropiately. You should be honored to dress up and look your best because, your not only representing yourself your also representing your sorority. I say practice walking in hills, and some days dress up to get yourself comfortable in wearing dresses and skirts. I think it will pay off later for you!! Keep us posted!!
Old 11-09-2009, 10:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaos View Post
I say practice walking in hills...
Yes, definitely go up in the hills and practice walking both UP the hills and DOWN the hills...very important for developing different leg muscle groups...