GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Fraternity Recruitment

Fraternity Recruitment Recruitment event ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.


Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:
 
Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

  I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 297,144
Threads: 114,115
Posts: 2,150,344
Welcome to our newest member, Rjfdgkde
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #16  
Old 10-19-2008, 10:45 PM
gee_ess gee_ess is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 1,551
I was talking about a) out of state freshmen who don't get bids through fall formal because they didn't participate in anything during the summer (is it a stigma to get a spring bid?) and also b) sophomores who didn't go through recruitment their freshman year for various reasons (is it harder to be a sophomore like it is with sororities?).

I re-read my earlier post and it is kind of confusing!
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 10-19-2008, 11:32 PM
Elephant Walk Elephant Walk is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Occupied Territory CSA
Posts: 2,238
Quote:
Originally Posted by gee_ess View Post
I was talking about a) out of state freshmen who don't get bids through fall formal because they didn't participate in anything during the summer (is it a stigma to get a spring bid?) and also b) sophomores who didn't go through recruitment their freshman year for various reasons (is it harder to be a sophomore like it is with sororities?).

I re-read my earlier post and it is kind of confusing!
a) yeah, its sort of a stigma to be a spring. There aren't "levels of brotherhood" by any means within the fraternity, but often some people will derisively say "he's a spring", meaning his opinion or whatever doesn't matter. It's because of a traditionally small pledge class that might have a few sort of weirdos in it. Not like super weird, but just not normal fall-style pledge class who knew they were joining a fraternity as soon as they came to school. But, with a smaller pledge class they also did often more work on house cleans and so forth...in some ways, I can admire them. Because of far smaller classes and the stigma of being a spring, they're also not likely to be elected to cabinet positions. In my years here, we've had 1 spring on cabinet.

b)I don't think sophomores are so stigmatized, but I'd rather have freshman. If we're working with our pledge classes and trying to figure out who we want, and a fresh and soph have equal qualification, fresh is going to win every, every time.
__________________
Overall, though, it's the bigness of the car that counts the most. Because when something bad happens in a really big car accidentally speeding through the middle of a gang of unruly young people who have been taunting you in a drive-in restaurant, for instance it happens very far away way out at the end of your fenders. It's like a civil war in Africa; you know, it doesn't really concern you too much. - P.J. O'Rourke

Last edited by Elephant Walk; 10-19-2008 at 11:35 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 10-20-2008, 07:32 PM
Widgetgirl Widgetgirl is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Germantown, TN
Posts: 12
WOW! Since I've never been on here before, I had no idea how all of these threads got started. I actually had to print out what has been said so far so that I could figure out what I wanted to write!

First, jarred66, I did not go to LSU, but I did go to that other (non SEC) school in Louisiana - Louisiana Tech University. I'm so old that I went to school all four years with Karl Malone (The Mailman)! I did, however, have a lot of friends, who went to LSU.

Second, CarolinaCutie, thanks for the info on Phi Mu. I understand that sororities do not HAVE to pledge legacies. In my original question, I was just asking about the extra consideration (being able to meet more than two people in the first night), that's all. And, no, my son did not continue with rush because he didn't want to go to the invites he got back. I think I might have steered him wrong, though, by agreeing with him that you don't want to be a part of a group where you are not happy just to join a fraternity. I assumed (wrongly, I think, after reading Elephant Walk's last post) that he would have time to meet people during the year, at ballgames, at the bars (not condoning it...just know it happens), in The Grove, etc. I thought he'd have the Spring or next Fall, if he was interested. So, after reading all this, he's probably doomed!

Third, CrackerBarrel, I now know about what you are talking about in the summer before rush, going to the parties. I have since found out that my son did not attend many that he was asked to (not just by his father's fraternity) for two main reasons. One, he worked, and two, none of us had any idea that it was so important. If HE knew that it was important, he didn't mention it to me, but I am hearing that some of them didn't like that he didn't come. Maybe that's why they don't like the out of state kids, since they can't easily come to a party from (say) California--except for my son, since I'm a flight attendant...ok, now I'm rambling again! No, we were not that far away, but again, I know his work got in the way.

Last, thank you, sceniczip, for your input as well. Do you know if it mattered if the legacy was from out of state? Is your school in the south, and is it an SEC (competitive) school?

I'm just amazed at how things have changed. Personally, I think of every Sigma Kappa as a sorority sister, no matter what school they went to. I don't think less of them if they go to The University of Memphis here in Tennessee just because I went to school in Louisiana. I have always given my money to Sigma Kappa Foundation (not to any particular chapter). Guess I've learned a LOT! Wish I had found this site sooner...
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 10-20-2008, 07:42 PM
sceniczip sceniczip is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: somewhere in an area where we usually get all four seasons :)
Posts: 1,832
Send a message via AIM to sceniczip
My school is definitely not in the south lol. We're up in Ohio. It's not too competitive but I know there were a few disappointments this year so I'm not really sure how competitive it was. I think the legacies were all from in state but we do not put much emphasis on that. We have one legacy (possibly a double legacy, can't remember) who is from Texas. I think we actually have about three girls from Texas, not all of them legacies. Other than that we mostly get the neighboring states, especially PA. It's probably hard to compare it to since we're not nearly as competitive as the south, nor do we have the amount of legacies that the south has. So all of this probably does not pertain to your daughter if she decides to go to LSU (I believe you said you had a daughter that was interested in LSU?) but it's always good information to have I would actually love to go to LSU or Ole Miss just to see how recruitment works down there!
__________________
For hope, for strength, for life-Delta Gamma
No hour of life is wasted that is spent in the saddle-Winston Churchill
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 10-20-2008, 11:17 PM
Widgetgirl Widgetgirl is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Germantown, TN
Posts: 12
Sorry to write so much, but I have an interesting update. One, I just called my son to see how things are, and he is on a party bus for a fraternity. He couldn't hear me, and I actually thought he said a "party boat", but anyway, his father said that the rush chairman of one of the fraternities had called him yesterday and asked him what he had done. When he told him he hadn't done anything, they asked him to come over for a football game. I'm not sure if it's the same one that he went on the party bus with, but I guess I'll find out tomorrow. I'm assuming it's not one of the bigger ones, but at this point, I think he was impressed that someone called HIM!

Also...on the (dreaded) legacy subject: My ex-husband heard back today from the MANY people he contacted on Friday about our son being cut the first night from his fraternity. One of them was the chapter president, who said it is NOT the policy of THIS particular fraternity/chapter to cut any legacy on the first night! They want to continue the tradition of making sure that the legacy gets to meet as many members as possible, etc. Supposedly there will be some investigating to see what happened, but no one is promising anything...

...good thing, cause my son JUST called his dad and told him that another frat asked him to pledge today...and he is! Unfortunately, my ex can't remember the name of it! Can you believe that? I guess he's just kind of unhappy that it's not HIS, and I don't think it's one that we had at Tech. But he DID say he sounded very happy, so I am, too!!

Wonder if it was the football game! Told you he was athletic!!
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 10-20-2008, 11:41 PM
AnchorAlumna AnchorAlumna is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Old South
Posts: 2,705
Hi Widgetgirl,
I am a mom, too, although my kids are a little older and are now out of college. Fraternities do things TOTALLY different from sororities. They're not nearly as well organized nor as vigilant about their legacies. Whoever mentioned the summer parties is right. I went to the University of Alabama, and the fraternities there do things very similarly to Ole Miss. Formal recruitment for them is just an afterthought.

Sounds like your son has got things pretty well figured out! I know I worried WAY more than my kids did about any of this stuff!
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 10-21-2008, 12:01 AM
Widgetgirl Widgetgirl is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Germantown, TN
Posts: 12
Thank you...I'm sure that you're right that it has been WAY more traumatic for me than it has been for him! He's my oldest, though, and I am learning! Thank goodness for Google and this site!! Take care
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 10-21-2008, 12:26 AM
AOEforme AOEforme is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: With Germs and a Lack of Sleep
Posts: 998
Congratulations to your son on his new fraternity! I'm glad he was so happy!
__________________
My Heart will always be with Alpha Omega E.

LET'S GO BIG RED!
Let me teach you how to Bucky!
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 10-21-2008, 09:29 AM
gee_ess gee_ess is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 1,551
Yea for Widgitgirl's son! Sounds like this was a case of the guys not really knowing about your son, realizing they let a good guy slip through the cracks, and coming back around to correct the situation! Congrats to your son!

Welcome to GC!
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 10-23-2008, 02:31 PM
TSteven TSteven is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Left Coast
Posts: 3,596
Quote:
Originally Posted by Widgetgirl View Post
Sorry to write so much, but I have an interesting update. One, I just called my son to see how things are, and he is on a party bus for a fraternity. He couldn't hear me, and I actually thought he said a "party boat", but anyway, his father said that the rush chairman of one of the fraternities had called him yesterday and asked him what he had done. When he told him he hadn't done anything, they asked him to come over for a football game. I'm not sure if it's the same one that he went on the party bus with, but I guess I'll find out tomorrow. I'm assuming it's not one of the bigger ones, but at this point, I think he was impressed that someone called HIM!

Also...on the (dreaded) legacy subject: My ex-husband heard back today from the MANY people he contacted on Friday about our son being cut the first night from his fraternity. One of them was the chapter president, who said it is NOT the policy of THIS particular fraternity/chapter to cut any legacy on the first night! They want to continue the tradition of making sure that the legacy gets to meet as many members as possible, etc. Supposedly there will be some investigating to see what happened, but no one is promising anything...
I thought it sounded odd that a legacy would be cut after the first night. I hope the chapter is able to figure out what went wrong on their part.

Quote:
good thing, cause my son JUST called his dad and told him that another frat asked him to pledge today...and he is! Unfortunately, my ex can't remember the name of it! Can you believe that? I guess he's just kind of unhappy that it's not HIS, and I don't think it's one that we had at Tech. But he DID say he sounded very happy, so I am, too!!

Wonder if it was the football game! Told you he was athletic!!
Congratulations to your son! And if I may, if you feel comfortable doing so, once you know which fraternity, would you please report back to us?
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 10-23-2008, 11:54 PM
Widgetgirl Widgetgirl is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Germantown, TN
Posts: 12
Do you, by chance, go to Ole Miss? Hate to say too much (as if I haven't already!!)
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 10-24-2008, 08:39 AM
SHSUATO1865 SHSUATO1865 is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Texas
Posts: 8
i know that my chapter is not but about half as big as most at ole miss, and i do realize it is a completely diff greek life. but at my school the only ppl we respect more than eachother is our alumni. one of my pledge brothers was the biggest tool known to man but still got a bid because he was a legacy and we also extended a bid to a legacy this semester just because he was a legacy even though he never came out to our house. unless your son just slipped through the cracks or gave off a bad first impression and or physical impression. i cant see why they would not give him a bid, especially if his father makes extensive contributions to the chapter. i am curious though which fraternity he was a legacy to?
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 10-24-2008, 09:55 AM
TSteven TSteven is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Left Coast
Posts: 3,596
Quote:
Originally Posted by Widgetgirl View Post
Do you, by chance, go to Ole Miss? Hate to say too much (as if I haven't already!!)
No ma'am. I am a graduate of the University of Kentucky.

Go Cats!
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 10-24-2008, 10:43 AM
Widgetgirl Widgetgirl is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Germantown, TN
Posts: 12
SHSUATO - Thanks for your post. I really didn't want anyone to pledge my son JUST because he was a legacy. We just never dreamed there would be a problem with a guy who is very good looking (if it's any indication, my 16-year-old daughter's friends all say he is "hot"), very athletic (played competitive, travel baseball, was captain of his trap-shooting team, and his job was at a large gym), and is very smart (grades are not perfect, but were good enough to get him a scholarship--even the Army has it's standards, believe it or not), and extremely personable (can not only talk to kids, but adults have commented all his life on how well he talks to even them). So, if anyone on here is thinking that he got cut because he's a loser, believe me (and I know I'm his mother, but I've been Greek, and I KNOW the standards), he's NOT!

I really did start this thread just to find out information on how the legacy thing works now, and I have learned SO much! I appreciate every single person on here and their comments. I appreciate anyone who is still in school and knows the scoop, I appreciate the alumni who know the scoop now and also remember the past, and I appreciate the mothers who know exactly how I feel!

My son is very happy where he is, so I hate to mention the fraternity that he was a legacy of. It is my understanding that they (for some reason) were not aware, so I don't want to worry about it anymore. I'll be honest with you--he wouldn't have wanted to be "kept" just because of the legacy thing anyway...it was just ME (and my ex) who were wondering what happened.

So, thank you, again, for everything...I've really enjoyed all this. I think I'll be hooked for a while, though--just what I need with four other kids and a job!
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 10-24-2008, 12:09 PM
TSteven TSteven is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Left Coast
Posts: 3,596
Quote:
Originally Posted by Widgetgirl View Post
SHSUATO - Thanks for your post. I really didn't want anyone to pledge my son JUST because he was a legacy. We just never dreamed there would be a problem with a guy who is very good looking (if it's any indication, my 16-year-old daughter's friends all say he is "hot"), very athletic (played competitive, travel baseball, was captain of his trap-shooting team, and his job was at a large gym), and is very smart (grades are not perfect, but were good enough to get him a scholarship--even the Army has it's standards, believe it or not), and extremely personable (can not only talk to kids, but adults have commented all his life on how well he talks to even them). So, if anyone on here is thinking that he got cut because he's a loser, believe me (and I know I'm his mother, but I've been Greek, and I KNOW the standards), he's NOT!

I really did start this thread just to find out information on how the legacy thing works now, and I have learned SO much! I appreciate every single person on here and their comments. I appreciate anyone who is still in school and knows the scoop, I appreciate the alumni who know the scoop now and also remember the past, and I appreciate the mothers who know exactly how I feel!

My son is very happy where he is, so I hate to mention the fraternity that he was a legacy of. It is my understanding that they (for some reason) were not aware, so I don't want to worry about it anymore. I'll be honest with you--he wouldn't have wanted to be "kept" just because of the legacy thing anyway...it was just ME (and my ex) who were wondering what happened.

So, thank you, again, for everything...I've really enjoyed all this. I think I'll be hooked for a while, though--just what I need with four other kids and a job!
As it should be! Again congrats to your son and to the chapter that was fortunate to bid him. I am sure he'll have a great time at Ole Miss.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Legacies out there? gphi2k Greek Life 20 11-03-2008 08:41 PM
DG legacies AngieWashU Delta Gamma 8 10-21-2005 01:35 AM
legacies lv-2-b-a-phi Alpha Phi 4 02-14-2004 04:53 PM
Legacies erica812 Beta Sigma Phi 3 04-11-2003 01:51 PM
Legacies MSSTCY1 Recruitment 14 09-01-2002 01:39 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:29 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.